roofing

The Lonely One

Why is a raven like a writing desk?
Registered
Reaction score
dumb, quick question:

Is roofing wood plywood? as in, the construction under the shingles (not the rafters etc.). Thanks.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
It depends on whether you're talking contemporary or a number of years ago. It was originally wood, in some cases two layers of wood set in opposite directions, but I think the majority of newer houses use plywood. Puma

The Lonely One

Registered
Reaction score
It depends on whether you're talking contemporary or a number of years ago. It was originally wood, in some cases two layers of wood set in opposite directions, but I think the majority of newer houses use plywood. Puma

Puma, glad to have you lurking around. Didn't even miss much of a beat in my writing by stopping to ask. Thanks for the quick insight for a dummy :)

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Plywood is used much less nowadays, but it would be fine to use it in a story.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
It depends on many variables, local codes, the size of the crew, the height of the roof etc. Large sheets like 4x8 foot plywood or OSB can be very dangerous to handle particularly if you are higher up and have a smaller crew. In those cases, the contractor might go with roofing planks (Typically around here 1 inch by 10 inch (nominal) by 8 feet pine planks)

HoraceJames

Registered
Reaction score
Website
horacejames.wordpress.com
It varies a lot by location. South Florida has very different requirements for underlayment (the layers of stuff between shingle and wood sheathing,) method of attachment, type of nails, etc. etc. due to wind storm requirements. My house was built in 1973 and has 5/8" plywood sheathing. The houses across the street (same builder, same models, built a year earlier) have tongue & groove planks.

(I know this because of Hurricane Andrew... everyone down here became a roof expert, since there were pieces of them laying everywhere. BTW, plywood held up just as well as the T&G.)

Mike Martyn

Registered
Reaction score
What sort of shingles? If your roof is shingled with cedar shakes, the underlay isn't solid plywood but 4 inch wide wood lathes running cross wise with a 1 inch spacing between the lathes. The spacing is needed so the cedar doesn't stay wet and rot.

Most of the houses in our area were built about 25 years ago and many of them are replacing the cedar with tar composite shingles. The roofers pull off the cedar, nail plywood or composite sheets over the lath work and nail on the new shingles. They always use 4 ft by 8 foot sheets.

We haven't had to do yet that since our shingles were cut from old growth cedar so the wood was a thousand years old before the cedar trees were felled.

The Lonely One

Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm alright what about a home in modern Pennsylvania? (Everett area)

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
My house was built in 1949-50 and the roof is sheathed in tongue & groove boards. In the 1950's plywood became popular because of the housing boom. In 1964 Georgia-Pacific built a giant Plywood factory in Arkansas, and that's when the product really took off in the US, prior to that, most of it came from Canada.

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
OSB is the material of choice today, unless the customer requests plywood, or plywood is offerred as an upgrade. Historically, you can be safe to say you found plywood if the building is between 10 and 50 years old. Older, the roof would have been tongue & groove boards, newer, probably OSB.

shtrum

Registered
Reaction score
OSB or plywood is fine. If you're using it in writing, i'd go with plywood. Most readers won't know what OSB is.