Mac question--shared connection (having a wierd moment)

Good Word

still crazy after all these years
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.wordmountain.com
So I notice in my finder under Shared that I am connected to a PC server named Joey, and it's showing me some generic files. Is this just from surfing earlier or did someone connect to me that I don't want to be? I was away from my computer for a bit, and it was in use by my child who was playing some games on Noggin, etc.

I just thought that Shared (which I have not used before) was something you did intentionally. Is someone digging around on my Mac remotely? Am I being paranoid?

<looks over shoulder>

Deleted member 42

So I notice in my finder under Shared that I am connected to a PC server named Joey, and it's showing me some generic files. Is this just from surfing earlier or did someone connect to me that I don't want to be? I was away from my computer for a bit, and it was in use by my child who was playing some games on Noggin, etc.

I just thought that Shared (which I have not used before) was something you did intentionally. Is someone digging around on my Mac remotely? Am I being paranoid?

<looks over shoulder>

No; that means Joey is sharing his data.

If you go to system preferences and Sharing is unchecked, you're cool.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Are you on an open WiFi? If so, it's nothing to worry about. Joe just has his Shared folder set to public access.

If you're on your home, protected WiFi, double-check that your network is secure.

If its the latter, but you *were* on public WiFi earlier, it's also possible it showed up then and Finder just forgot to get rid of it now that you're on a different network.

Under System Preferences->Sharing, if everything is unchecked, none of your stuff should show up to anyone else.

Good Word

still crazy after all these years
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.wordmountain.com
Thank you!

All set, I think. <looks over shoulder again>

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Sounds like you're on an wifi network and Joel is sharing some of his files. Like they said, make sure your own System is protected. And if you're at home, that means someone has gotten into your network. Time to reset.