Query and Synopsis?

jmn

Registered
Reaction score
Is it recommended to have a synopsis written before you start querying agents? I haven't really seen a lot of info on agents requesting a synopsis after a good query. It seems like typically they will just ask for the manuscript (or at least a partial). Should I be writing a synopsis before I start querying agents?

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
Depends upon how you work under pressure. A lot of agents don't require synopses. (US. English agents like queries.) And a lot of writers never have to write one.

So the question is whether you feel lucky?

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
Is it recommended to have a synopsis written before you start querying agents? I haven't really seen a lot of info on agents requesting a synopsis after a good query. It seems like typically they will just ask for the manuscript (or at least a partial). Should I be writing a synopsis before I start querying agents?

Like the little squirrel with the big gun says: Do you feel lucky?

Of the ten agents on my "must query" list only one asked for a synopsis upfront. No idea if the others would have asked for one with a partial (I assume at least some of them would have) as I got rejections back.

I did not want to be scrambling to write a synopsis in a hurry if asked.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
I think it's a good idea to write both before you submit. Your query letter shouldn't be more than one page and within same devote about three or four sentences which tell the agent/publisher what your book is about -- not a lot of detail or how it ends, but rather an intriguing overview that will make the agent/publisher want to read more. A synopsis runs anywhere from two to ten pages and summarizes your book for the agent/publisher. It deals with the beginning, middle, and reveals the end.

Obviously, two completely different forms of writing. It's best to have both on hand because you never know what the agent/publisher/editorial board might want to read.

CBlaire

Registered
Reaction score
Scope,...Intriguing overview...not a lot of detail or how story ends. Hmmm. This sounds too good to be true..too easy. I've been sweating over a query and my critiques come back with "don't do this..do that" until my head spins wondering if the query will take longer than my 84,000 word ms. Have you had success with the type of query you suggested?

Laura Lond

Registered
Reaction score
My take on it is that even if the agent might not ask for a synopsis upfront, it is very likely that it will be needed later on for the publisher(s), so it is best to have one ready. Sure, you might have to do some revisions to the book and then adjust the synopsis, but it is easier to make corrections than write the whole thing.

Danthia

I wrote one, but none of the agents I queried asked for it. Perhaps have one written, and if you need to spend a day or two polishing later you can. Write it, but don't stress over it until/unless it's needed.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
Scope,...Intriguing overview...not a lot of detail or how story ends. Hmmm. This sounds too good to be true..too easy. I've been sweating over a query and my critiques come back with "don't do this..do that" until my head spins wondering if the query will take longer than my 84,000 word ms. Have you had success with the type of query you suggested?

Yes, a number of times. It may sound easy to do, but I can assure you it's not, at least not for me. Some of the writers here have the ability to write wonderful query letters almost right out of the box. I'm not one of them. It takes me quite a while before I get it right. And for me the hardest part is giving myself only three or four sentences to tell the editor/agent what my book is about in a way that intrigues them to want more. Like fishing, if the hook doesn't hold you lose them.

BAY

Registered
Reaction score
I think you need to have one ready, because it's requested by many. I had hoped to dodge it myself, but the alternative is not to query those who request it or ignore their submission requests by not sending it.

wandergirl

~kirsten hubbard
Registered
Reaction score
At least two of the agents who requested fulls or partials of my manuscript asked for synopses. One wanted a short one (under a page), which forced me to hurriedly trim the longer version. It really doesn't hurt to start working on a synopsis now, because they're tough to write, and you don't want to have to rush if you get a request.