PDA

View Full Version : Reaction to Being Stabbed

Lady_of_Myth
01-31-2009, 11:36 PM
I had previously asked about renaissance treatment for a pneumothorax (of the non-tension sort.) now I looking for an answer to another of my mine.

So in my story I had one of my MCs get stabbed by a assassin what would be my MC's immediate reaction after the assassin left him. I mean how would he react to having a pneumothorax? would he lose consciousness?

Thanks in advance!

Lady_of_Myth
02-01-2009, 10:11 AM
I am not sure he is going to have a pneumothorax, but still want my MC to have a dramatic stabwound.
Any suggestions?

Ciera_
02-01-2009, 10:25 AM
Well, if I was your character, I'd likely react by bleeding.
There'd of course be gasping and spluttering, coughing up blood.
I'm not sure I have the best understanding of what a pneumothorax is, but it wouldn't be likely for both lungs to collapse, would it?
Now, I imagine that breathing primarily through a single lung would be a bit like an asthma attack, in that your air supply is significantly diminished. I don't know whether, in in an asthma attack, my air supply has ever been cut right in half, but it doesn't sound too far-off. You character would be inhaling sharply, quickly, trying to get air. They wouldn't be able to remain standing for long. They'd be totally freaking out in general. I'm sure they'd pass out before long.
God, just talking about diminished air supply is making me freak out and feel nonexistent asthmatic-brewings in my chest.
Anyway, that's the reaction your character would probably have to the sudden lack of oxygen. I don't know whether that's what you were looking for. Good luck with your pneumothorax!

Horseshoes
02-01-2009, 10:26 AM
Reactions are variable. Neither tension nor simple pneumos necessarily immediately result in unconsciousness. Most of the pneumo patients I saw were conscious. However, anyone can have a syncopal episode and being stabbed is as good a reason as all the unk etiology syncope. You can write it as you need it to be. Stoic, screamer, gasper, lots o' blood, not so much. Is there something you particularly want to happen and want to know if it jives?

Lady_of_Myth
02-02-2009, 08:15 AM
You can write it as you need it to be. Stoic, screamer, gasper, lots o' blood, not so much. Is there something you particularly want to happen and want to know if it jives?

Well what I want to happen is the assassin walks in and suprises my MC who at the time that the assassin entered his tent had his back turned and he hears the footsteps and turns around but its too late; The assassin stabs my MC on his left side of his chest, withdraws the dagger, my MC is left gasping and bleeding as he sinks to the floor. The assassin wipes off his dagger and before leaving kicks my MC in the abdomen. (Not hurting anything just leaving a good-sized bruise; oh and my MC will be more on the stoic side of things.)

As to what Ciera posted I have a pretty good idea of how a really bad asmtha attack feels like because I have asmtha and I have had bad attacks before.

Thanks you have all been very helpful!