Assault, injuries, and hospital stay (my poor MC)

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
Will try to keep the description brief and not too graphic.

My MC was being chased by two men, fell, and was dragged into an alley. There, she was slapped, shoved up against the alley wall (hitting her head in the process), and repeatedly shaken. At one point, they let her go and she sinks to the ground. A few minutes later, one of the men kicks her rather hard in the stomach (wearing normal shoes, not boots and no steel toes).

The men are interrupted and meet a very violent end (it's an urban fantasy so just picture a big, bad, nightmare, type creature). She passes out from a combination of the assault and the nasty scene.

My MC wakes up in the hospital. A couple of questions:

1. Would she be likely to have any serious abdominal injuries other than severe bruising?
  2. Would they have put her on pain medication through an IV? (currently, I have this in there but am not sure how realistic that is)?
  3. Given that she was found with two corpses who had been torn limb from limb, I have a police officer stationed at the door to her hospital room. Realistic or have I just read too many Anita Blake books?
  4. I don't think she would have been unconscious for more than a day but I do have her being dehydrated and having trouble speaking until someone gives her water. Is this nonsense?
Any advice/answers would be very much appreciated. I don't fancy stalking the emergency room like Emma Thompson in Stranger Than Fiction.

HoraceJames

Registered
Reaction score
Website
horacejames.wordpress.com
I'm sure someone with real medical knowledge would be of more help, but if someone's unconscious they're not feeling pain so giving them painkillers wouldn't make sense. 24 hours of unconsciousness would mean traumatic brain injury of some degree, and anything that would mask the symptoms of brain damage would not be used.

The kick could cause anything from bruised or broken ribs to major organ damage and internal bleeding. These are very life-threatening. I think it's possible that a symptom of internal bleeding may be thirst?

sirensix

Mediocre Sorceress
Registered
Reaction score
I can't imagine that she would be dehydrated, as they'd almost certainly put her on intravenous fluids.

More concerning is the amount of brain injury she must have sustained to remain unconscious that long. Outside of fiction, most people don't just 'faint' and stay unconscious for hours. Normally the moment your head becomes level with your heart, the blood flow resumes to your brain.

Prolonged unconsciousness, as far as I know, signals severe brain injury.

ColoradoGuy

I've seen worse.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com
I can't imagine that she would be dehydrated, as they'd almost certainly put her on intravenous fluids.

More concerning is the amount of brain injury she must have sustained to remain unconscious that long. Outside of fiction, most people don't just 'faint' and stay unconscious for hours. Normally the moment your head becomes level with your heart, the blood flow resumes to your brain.

Prolonged unconsciousness, as far as I know, signals severe brain injury.
That's correct. Any injury that would make you unconscious for 24 hours virtually always interferes with breathing and coughing, so you end up on a mechanical ventilator and usually (though not always) with at least a bit of residual brain injury afterwards. Regarding the abdominal injuries, they could be anything from trivial (a few bruises) to severe (ruptured spleen, liver, or intestines). All are possible with that mechanism of injury, so you can do whatever your plot requires.

Kathleen42

Registered
Reaction score
Hmm.. Methinks I'm going to rewrite the entire scene - at least the bit where she's unconscious.

Thanks guys!

sirensix

Mediocre Sorceress
Registered
Reaction score
One suggestion is that during the time between when she is attacked and when you want the next scene to start, you can have her be kind of stunned and "out of it" from adrenaline so that time seems to pass strangely, and that way you can basically cut from the attack to the hospital with just a "the next several hours were a blur of flashing lights and concerned faces" type of transition.

I have heard of people after car accidents/attacks barely remembering being taken to the hospital, even when they had no brain injuries and were reportedly conscious for the whole thing.

Kathleen42

Registered
Reaction score
One suggestion is that during the time between when she is attacked and when you want the next scene to start, you can have her be kind of stunned and "out of it" from adrenaline so that time seems to pass strangely, and that way you can basically cut from the attack to the hospital with just a "the next several hours were a blur of flashing lights and concerned faces" type of transition.

I have heard of people after car accidents/attacks barely remembering being taken to the hospital, even when they had no brain injuries and were reportedly conscious for the whole thing.

I think that's what I'm going to do. I've been turning it over in my head and I think I'll actually be happier with it that way (even before posting to the research thread, I wasn't satisfied with the way the scene was going).

ColoradoGuy

I've seen worse.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com
. . . I have heard of people after car accidents/attacks barely remembering being taken to the hospital, even when they had no brain injuries and were reportedly conscious for the whole thing.
Yes. Concussions often cause amnesia, often including 15 minutes or so before the injury happened, and their memory processing can be out of whack for hours afterwards. So often there is no memory of the event. People emerging from concussions often are disoriented or combative, sometimes for a day or more. It seems I particularly see this in adolescent males, but it can happen to anyone.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
However, in a hospital setting the nurses are going to be overworked and will be attending the patient in the next room who is screaming their head off and throwing the bedpan. The unconscious patient will be on a variety of monitors that will beep if the patient stops breathing. The nurses might only see her every couple of hours to check vitals and don't realize that she's in and out except if she changes position in bed. If the patient is truly only unconscious for an hour or so and then just sort of out of it (combative when they try to talk to her, shine lights at her face etc, but otherwise "resting comfortably") for a day, there need not be any major long term brain injury. Being in a hospital does not mean there is a nurse watching them 24 hours a day. Being "unconscious" means different things to different people. If you avoid mentioning medical terms that are specific to certain medical definitions of varying stages of unconsciousness, then you might not need much rewriting. It could be as simple as adding one line of the doctor telling the family, "Well technically it's not a coma. Right now the scans are ok and we just need to let her rest and keep an eye on things." To the average person, being in a deep sleep is the same.

Oh, but she will wake up either in diapers or with a catheter. That IV fluid has to go somewhere, and they will want to monitor the output in some sort of fashion.

mmm, that was weird, my computer didn't list any posts after #5 until after I posted

Last edited:

MMcDonald64

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
If she's unconscious, and doesn't regain consciousness in the ER, she would go to ICU. They wouldn't just put her in a bed on a regular floor. Yes, they'd check vitals but they'd also do periodic neuro checks, waking the patient up and assessing whether they are alert and oriented. All that stuff has to be charted.