Wireless printer; what am I doing wrong?

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
When I found the price and availability of the toner cartridges of my wired laser printer were horrendous, I decided to step up to a wireless printer with longer-lasting cartridges. (hey, BenBradley, want another printer? :))

It's a Brother HL-2170W, and I'm trying to get it to work on my wireless network (ThinkPad running Windows XP with Intel Wireless WiFi Link4965AGN--whatever that means--and Linksys WRT300N router). So far I've gone through tech support at Cisco, who determines that my router is fine and should be communicating, and the techies at Brother, who say that it is a problem with the wireless in my computer.

I have no problem getting online wirelessly, but it will not communicate with the printer. I go to print and just get an error; it doesn't say what kind of error. I have installed, uninstalled, reinstalled FOUR times now, and ended up doing the wired install because I had to print my tax forms. After getting my printing done, I used the CD that came with the printer to configure the wireless settings (again) and even went so far as to install the BRAdmin software so I could set the boot method at static and assign the IP, Subnet Mask and Gateway for my network, and it still won't communicate.

I have a service call out to the folks at Lenovo about my internal wireless whatever, but my warrenty doesn't cover weekend service, so I have to wait until Monday. Anybody here have an idea of what could be wrong?

I really want to be able to print from my laptop without hauling it physically to the printer. That was kinda the point of the purchase.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
FIXED. I iz so smrt, lolz.

No, really, got instructions by emailing Brother instead of the surly tech I spoke with last night.

For the benefit of others who think they've done everything and still can't get it to work, here's what solved mine:

Go into Printers in Control Panel, right click on the printer icon and go to Properties, then the Port tab. Mine was set to a USB port. I clicked to change it to the Standard TCP/IP port that already had the correct IP address in it, then clicked Apply, then printed! Wirelessly! Whee!

So simple, yet took three days to get it up. *headdesk*

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
good information - my next upgrade will be a wireless printer, this is good to know info.

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
Yeah-- I learned that this weekend. TO print wirelessly, you have to tell the printer to use a wireless printer port. Makes sense when you think about it. =) I used this method to print to the computer lab at school. =D