Chicken Noodle Soup for the Soul

MoonWriter

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a sucker for heartwarming and/or tear-jerking stories of good deeds gone wild. I read the first Chicken Noodle Soup for the Soul years ago and still remember two stories:

An old man is on a bus with a bouquet of flowers. A young girl keeps eyeing the flowers then finally asks the man who they're for. My wife, he answers. The young girl acts as if she understands, but can't keep her eyes off them. Finally, the bus stops and the old man hands the flowers to the young girl and says My wife would want you to have them. He exits the bus and enters a cemetery to visit his wife.

Another young girl is in line with her father waiting to purchase tickets to the circus. Ahead of them is a proud mother and father and their slew of children. From the way they're dressed, it's apparent that they aren't rich. When the man approaches the window and learns the cost of the tickets, he lowers his head. The young girl's father overhears the conversation, takes out his twenty dollar bill and drops it on the ground. He taps the man on his shoulder, points, and says, Excuse me, sir, but when you took out your wallet, that bill fell out of your pocket. The man gave him an appreciative and understanding smile. The girl and her father left, unable to pay for their own tickets.

I've done a few nice things in my life for strangers, even more for friends, but none that I can remember like these two stories (which I'm sure I didn't do justice in my retelling). Aside from family, I'd like to hear your stories of good deeds gone wild - something you did, or, if you're afraid to brag about yourself, something nice that happened to you. I'm looking to be inspired to do more good. Thanks in advance for sharing. :)

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
I'm surprised no one has responded to this thread yet. We must all be a bunch of meanies with no inspiring stories of good deeds to share.

(Notice how I'm at a loss to share one myself?) ;)

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My sister gave me a free movie pass today so I didn't have to pay for my ticket.

That was a good deed, yes?

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
One time our car battery died when we were in Atlantic City (we lived in NY at the time). We were married only a few years then and didn't have enough money to have it towed or call a mechanic. We were really upset. After about an hour a fellow stopped his car, came over to us and used his jumper cables to start the battery. We handed him two dollars for a tip but he wouldn't take it. He also gave us his card because his brother was a mechanic and would fix our car for free. We so appreciated him and even now, after 35 years of marriage, talk about how nice he and his brother were.

MoonWriter

Registered
Reaction score
I'm surprised no one has responded to this thread yet. We must all be a bunch of meanies with no inspiring stories of good deeds to share.

(Notice how I'm at a loss to share one myself?) ;)

That thought never crossed my mind, SK. I thought for sure Haggis would have something to contribute. :D

Thanks to Rhymegirl and Susie for proving us wrong.

I'd like to share one that made a pretty tough time a little easier. When we evacuated for Katrina, we soon hit bumper to bumper traffic on I-55 near Hammond, LA. A mom and pop and their two teenage kids had parked their beat up old truck on the side of the road and were handing out bottles of cold water and God bless you's.

A little further down the road, right outside of Charleston, WV (went to stay with one of my sisters who lives there), a tractor-trailer cut me off before the first of several toll stops. When we reached to toll booth, the attendant told me to go on through, the truck driver saw my Louisiana license plate and paid our toll. We caught up with him, honked the horn and all waved thanks. Then I dropped back behind him for the next three toll stops. At a time when I didn't know if I had a house or what conition it would be in when I returned, it meant a lot to know that others cared. And if I stop long enough to think about how nice he was, it still gets to me. I dig nice people.

MoonWriter

Registered
Reaction score
I think you guessed right, MsK. Good try. I like to pull up to a red light in my work truck with Southern Gardens on the side and tell the guy who's holding the sign, Will Work For Food, to get in, I have lots of work. Haven't had any takers yet.

MoonWriter

Registered
Reaction score
I started to post this three times, but erased it each time because I don't want people to think I'm mean, but really, it was like I had entered an episode of the Twilight Zone. My wife's friend just celebrated her 40th and we were invited to her surprise party at her parent's house. It was our first time there, so we left early so we'd be on time, but birthday girl was already there. Gave a new meaning to surprise party. So we go inside and step back in time to the 60's. I had no problem with the decor, but after the introductions, no one had anything to say and just smiled. We smiled a whole bunch. And I'm still smiling as I type this. Then, when more guests arrived, the fun started. A parade. With a local theater performer announcing the different themes for each cardboard box "float." My wife's friend has 5 kids and each walked into the room, displayed the float, complete with pictures related to the theme, (her teenage crush on Tom Sellick sp? and Magnum P.I., her high school sports days, her career as a nurse, etc.) and was gone before the actor finished what he had to say, which wasn't audible anyway - he used some device played pre-selected songs but had a microphone that, when it wasn't cutting out, amplified his voice to about 200db. I laughed and smiled with the best of them until my mouth needed a break, so I went into the living room and scooped a cup of tea out of the crock pot. It's hard to drink tea when you're smiling, but I managed two cups before I rejoined the festivities. Anyway, I could go one, but it's hard when the house was full of loving people. Really, they were all so nice. I could see it in their smiles. But the good thing I did, besides a lot of smiling, was that I didn't say a word to my wife about leaving. Only when she asked if I was ready to go did I say, "You're f***ing right I want to go. Just kidding. I said, "Whenever you're ready," and gave her a smile. I couldn't help it. :)

ETA: I'm coming down from my smiling high - anybody know of a cure for sore cheeks? Facial cheeks!

Last edited:

MoonWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, MsK, that's what I'm talking about. Who knows, maybe that money helped her get to a job interview, get the job, and she is now able to help others. Maybe not, but she knows someone cared. I hope that ripple of love you started is still spreading.

Kitrianna

Official Bad Cat's Prez
Registered
Reaction score
In one of THOSE moods. Look out people, no one is
I almost loathe to tell this story because of the previous posts, but it needs to be said.

Five years ago, Kthrok and I were homeless on the streets of Austin, TX. We didn't know anyone there and weren't able to go back to work with the carnival we had been traveling with (it was how we got there in the first place) because we had been hit by a car in the off season (yes the same car hit us both, don't ask...REALLY long story). A week following that, we had been invited to church by another homeless guy. We were having a rough go of things that night on the corner. The two of us had no choice but to stand together cause I couldn't walk and it's impossible to move fast on crutches. And most people looked at us like we were trying to scam them. We only wished that was the case.

So Will gets us to go with him after offering us a couple bucks so we could grab a bite to eat after the services (he was a great guy) and we walk into this church in a strip mall. We had been by there I don't know how many times and never stopped, but had always been curious about it. Our first feeling was of being a bleach stain on a tuxedo. Now I have a darker complexion. My mixed heritage shows, especially when I get some sun, but this church was almost all black. It was cool with us. People are people right?

We sat and relaxed, curious as to everything that was going to happen. They had a portion of the service where everyone gets up and gives everyone else a hug or handshake. When we went to stand up, we were nicely told to stay seated, they would come to us and I thought these are some really nice people. We listened to the sermon and to this day I could tell you what it was, I will never forget it. But all of this is neither here nor there. It was what happened afterwords that got me.

The four of us were standing near the door, getting ready to leave, when a very smartly dressed gentleman came up and said one of the elders wanted to see us. My first thought was 'oh no, they're going to tell us to get out and not come back' and I went with a feeling of dread. We had to stand for a few minutes and wait for the elder to finish talking with the person ahead of us and the whole time I felt like I was waiting to go before the firing squad. By the time it was our turn I was almost sweating bullets.

She was a small woman who introduced herself as Elder Joyce, but her voice demanded your attention. She began by telling us that she was a business woman who had her own small business and how she had been doing her books that day and had found an extra hundred dollars. She had said to the Lord that night, 'Lord, I know this is not my money. Who do I give this hundred dollars to?' and she said that He had told her to give it to the homeless people who were sitting behind her that night. But she didn't stop there. She asked for her purse and took all the remaining cash from her wallet and her business partner put even more money in, then they split it four ways and gave it to us. For Kthrok and I, that meant a day or two of rest and still being able to eat. That isn't the only wonderful thing that the people of Agape Christian Ministries did for us, but you'll have to wait until tomorrow to hear more.

If you're ever in Austin, look them up. They're wonderful people and I am proud and happy to call them my family :)

MoonWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, Kit, I'm glad you're waiting until tomorrow to post more - your story got to me, just like MsK's and Susie's. Stories like this remind me that I'm not doing enough, but they're the inspiration I need to do more. Thanks for sharing, ladies.

Just wondering who the fourth person is. You, Kthrok, and Will went together, but when you were leaving, you said the 4 of us were standing near the door.

Last edited:

MoonWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Anxiously waiting for more of Kitrianna's story. :)

truelyana

Set yourself free
Registered
Reaction score
Website
expressiveworld.com
Beautiful thread, a unique way to create acts of kindness through souls food. :)

I encounter these experiences everyday in my life, as I like meeting new people and appreciate everyone as they are despite their social circumstance. For me, every moment is always truly cherished when I am present in the whole experience. Through my job, I continue to encounter these experiences ever more frequent, as I am there to help others. An example, when I was teaching computer class for over 50's, I made some wonderful friends through the art of giving. The support gave the individuals the confidence to take on a computer of their own. It was so warming to see the individuals enjoying their presence with the computer, a simplicity and purity resided by them. One which I can very much relate to, unfolding within the sincerity of playfulness. These experiences also reflect my own journey a great deal, and I meet these people to help me on the way of that light. I'll share one of my experiences with you, a vivid one in the air for me now.

When I was at University in Central London, I used to sit at Regents Park quite often during my lunch break. One day this passer by, (gentleman living off the streets) decided to join me, as I welcomed a smile to invite him to my space. I think he needed some company at that precise moment, as he shared he's experiences with ease to me. I had bought a spare sandwich earlier from the store, and some spare fruit. I feel I must have known I was destined to meet him. I gave him my spare sandwich and fruit, and he was very content in eating. He told me he just wanted the basics, and that was all that made him happy; food, water. He told me, he didn't want to be forced into being part of the system, and he was fine where he was. I also felt he was drawn to me, in a sensual warming sense, as we started to talk about children. Overall when he left, he felt more at peace for knowing that someone could take the time to be with him, as he was. :)

MoonWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Your story about the homeless man sounds as if you were able to talk to him with ease. I ain't there yet. The ones I've encountered make me nervous. A few months ago, I stopped in a convenient store for cigarettes. I noticed a homeless guy sitting on one of the car stops. I passed him both ways, but once in my car, I got a nagging feeling that I should ask if he needed anything, if he was okay. So, after I cursed under my breath, I asked. He mumbled. Literally. I tried again. I heard the word 'ride.' So I asked him if he needed a ride. He mumbled, but fortunately he nodded. And once in the car, I found out he could point, which is how I was able to get him to the mission downtown after a 30 minute ride of silence, punctuated with sudden outbursts of mumbling. The next day, as I worked to remove the smell of urine from my wife's car, I still wasn't sure if I had done a good deed - I know my heart wasn't really into it.

I may catch hell from my sister tomorrow, but I think I did something pretty nice tonight. I called my sister in Atlanta to wish her a happy birthday. Her 50th. She's the sixth. I'm the seventh and I'm closer to her than the others. At 9:15, she was turning off the lights and getting ready for bed. 9:15? Who goes to bed at that time. I'm just getting started. So we talk, okay, she talks and I listen, for about 30 minutes. No one else called. She wasn't complaining, but I found out that she made her own cake, bought the fixin's so her husband could grill steaks while she prepared the rest of her birthday dinner, and bought her own presents, which her two kids wrapped. She's taking her 50th pretty hard, so I used my endless charm to cheer her up. Then again, maybe that's what had her in tears, or, it could have been when I sang Happy Birthday. Anyway, when I got off the phone with her, I called my brother in Corpus Christi and told him to call. Then, my sister here in New Orleans, my sister in Houston, my sister in West Virgina and my sister in Virginia Beach. I told them not to mention my call, but to think of an excuse for calling so late. She may not get much sleep, but she'll know that she's loved.

ETA: I then went online and ordered a Valentine's basket for her from Harry and David's. Expensive? Yeah, but I saved four bucks by getting the Valentine basket which had the same stuff as the birthday one plus a bunch of pretty hearts. :)

Last edited:

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
I have given homeless people money and sandwiches so many times I can't count. Even in our small town, they're increasing in numbers and I can't possibly keep up. We do our best with gift drives and food drives, but sometimes it seems like we're filling a bucket with an eye dropper.

The moment of kindness that sticks in my mind right now is the sight of two construction workers who stopped their work and stood side by side, helmets held against their chests and heads bowed while the my nephew's funeral procession slowly passed through Barrie last fall. The woman walking her dog who made the sign of the cross at the traffic lights. The canine unit officer who stood under a tree with his German shepherd beside him, saluting as we went past. The embraces and hand squeezes from co-workers during the Christmas party. The infinite generosity of hundreds of people who helped us through a difficult time. The priest who said, "Don't question why he died, but why he lived."

MoonWriter

Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry for your loss, Chumplet. I've never lost a young family member, but I know your pain. My best friend died in our senior year of high school. He was a passanger in a car with another friend who was drag racing. The driver lost control, crossed the median, and struck another vehicle head on. My friend was the only one who needed medical attention. Although he lasted ten days on a respirator, I only visited once. For a few seconds. When I saw his condition, I left the room, lost vision, and collapsed. My friend's uncle had to console me, instead of me consoling my friend's family. If any good came from his death, it would be that his parents turned to God, not away, in their time of grief. And now, retired, they work harder than ever in different ministries.

I'm glad you received kindness when you most needed it. Those acts really touched me. And now, when I think about my friend or my parents, I'll remember the words the priest spoke to you. Thanks.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Something I wrote about an encounter I had a few years back...

Living Water

He sits beside me on the concrete. His breath smells of alcohol, his clothes of stale cigarette smoke. He has a Tim Horton’s cup in one hand, and beside him a big black bag on wheels. I bury my head deeper in my book, trying to block out his presence.

“What are you reading?”

If there’s a question he could have asked which would cause me to cringe more than that one, I can’t think of it. How do I explain the complexities of ecumenical dialogue to a drunk in a bus station? But I sigh and look up. I’m too well-bred to be downright rude.

“It’s called Truth in Community,” I say. “It’s about ecumenical dialogue.” I hope the big words will shut him up, or at least encourage him to change the topic. No such luck, and I am left trying to explain the reality of the broken church and our attempts to understand each other.

“You’re a Christian.” He deduces that much, at least, from my speech. I welcome the statement gladly. I’m on solid ground here.

“Yes.”

“Are you born again?” So he has some experience of the church — evangelical and probably fundamentalist.

“All Christians are born again,” I say. I feel some pride that I can speak my political truth in his language. “I’m a minister,” I add.

He shows some surprise at this. “You’re a minister? You’re not born again?”

What does he mean by this? Does he mean that women ministers aren’t born again because Christian ministers are male? Or is it something else?

A long, rambling conversation later, I gather that his concept of “born again” involves living a life of sin, being “born again,” and then not living a life of sin. A minister, never having lived a life of sin, cannot be born again.

I tell him it’s not like that — we all sin, even born again Christians, and we all need to continually ask God’s forgiveness.

“I’m in a bad way,” he says.

I struggle to adjust to the sudden shift in the conversation. Of course he’s in a bad way, I think. He’s a drunk, judging from the bag he’s probably homeless, and he’s quite possibly drug addicted.

“I’m an alcoholic.”

No kidding. I can smell it on your breath. But I don’t say that out loud.

“I used to sleep with a woman. She was a born again Christian. By day she said I was living a life of sin, but at night she slept with me.”

I say nothing, but I think of this woman, this so-called Christian, and her hypocrisy. I wish people like that wouldn’t call themselves Christian. It gives the rest of us a bad name.

“It still hurts,” he says, placing his hand over his heart in emphasis.

He digs into his bag and pulls out a green army parka, then a bottle of cheap sherry. The bottle is almost empty. He takes the plastic lid off the coffee cup and pours the sherry into it. The lid blows away, and I think about retrieving it. He ignores it. When the now empty bottle is safe back in its hiding place and the parka back on top, he speaks again.

“I’m dying.”

I say nothing. There is nothing to say.

“I have AIDS. I’m HIV positive.”

I close my book and look him in the eye for the first time in our conversation. He’s a good-looking man — young, thin, clear olive skin, brown eyes, longish black hair that’s been combed, even if it hasn’t been recently washed.

“I slept with a woman in Gastown. Vancouver. You ever been there?” I shake my head.

“We shared a needle. Once. She was negative, and I’m positive. Can you understand it?”

He asks that question as if it’s a riddle. No, I can’t understand it, so I stay silent.

“Later she tested positive.”

The truth dawns. “There’s a ‘window period’ before you test positive...”

“And that’s when we shared the needle — in her window period.” He finishes my sentence for me.

He looks at the tunnel where a bus is exiting the station. “I feel like I’m there,” he said, pointing to the darkest part of the tunnel.

I want to give him hope, to share my optimism. “Yes, but when you’re there,” I said, pointing to the dark, “you are heading there.” I point to our right, towards the sunny blue sky.

“But I can’t see the light.”

“See that bus?” I ask him. “If you close your eyes, you can’t see it, but it’s still there.”

A line-up is beginning to form to our right. “How long until your bus?” he asks.

I crane my neck to look at the clock. 14:48. “About five minutes,” I reply.

“Not enough time to tell you about Gastown.”

“Try,” I urge.

“It’s Uptown Downtown.”

“You’re right. I’m confused.”

“You go there to get high. Heroin. Crack. You know — Uptown Downtown.” He smiles.

“Now I understand.” And smile back.

“I prayed to God when I was in prison. I asked Him to help me. He never answered.”

My heart constricts within me. What do I say? When I pray, God answers. Does God love me more than this beautiful, hurting young man? My very being recoils at the thought.

“I’m going to tell you something. Don’t get mad or call the cops or anything.”

I’m mildly curious. Is he going to tell me that he doesn’t believe in God? Does he think that will shock me?

“I don’t care about God anymore.”

In some ways, that’s worse than unbelief, I think. But our conversation is at an end. My bus arrives, the doors open, and the line starts filing in. I stand and pick up my backpack, then extend my right hand to him. Somewhat surprised, he takes it.

“Remember that even if you don’t love God or are angry at Him, God still loves you.” It sounds lame to my ears, but it’s the best I can do.

“I’m not angry. I just don’t care.”

Maybe it would be better if he was angry, I think. But finally I know, for the first time in this conversation, the exact right words. “You may not care about God, but God still cares about you.”

I board the bus, pay my fare, and barricade myself into a back window seat. I think, as I listen to my classical music, that I have tried to embody Christ for this man, to offer him the Living Water of God’s love, and I pray that he might take it. I sadly realize that it’s all up to him, and he probably won’t.

It’s only later — much, much later — that I begin to wonder which of us needed the Living Water, and which one of us was offering it.

MoonWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Here's one from today: See thread "Talking someone off a ledge..." posted by thethinker42 today (2/4). Here's a good deed if I ever saw one. Saving someone's life is the best deed one can do :)

What a stressful experience that must have been. thethinker, a very fitting user name. If he hasn't thought of anything worth living for, I pray that he realizes a friend loved him enough to save his life.

MoonWriter

Registered
Reaction score
At first, after reading the quoted text below, I thought I was in the SYW Poetry forum where I understand very little. But I kept reading it, as I do most of the poems, trying to understand. On the surface, it's apparent that you, as a minister, were in a position to share the word of God. But many times, when we try to encourage others, our own faith is sometimes strengthened. In this beautiful story, I think you were both vessels for the Living Water. I only hope your homeless acquaintance came to realize it.

It’s only later — much, much later — that I begin to wonder which of us needed the Living Water, and which one of us was offering it.

MoonWriter

Registered
Reaction score
I just hung up with one of my sisters. She had been at an informal q & a session at another parent's house with the dean of their childrens' school. As he answered parents' questions, my sister sensed a 'calm' about him. Then, someone raised the question of disipline for the eighth grade girl who sent graphic nude photos to boys in her school at their request. The parents demanded action for such a despicable crime.

He calmly stated that he had consulted a well-know psychologist (can't remember the name) and the doctor said this wasn't a matter for disipline, rather for counseling. The dean gave the girl a week off and aranged for sessions with the psychologist, the girl, and her family. In the meantime, he held separate talks with the boys and the girls at his middle and high school. In spite of his talk, which included the quote from scripture where Jesus tells those who want to kill the adulteress that whoever is without sin should cast the first stone, when the girl returned to school, she was shunned. No one sat by her during lunch. She ended up staying in the office where she ate the lunch the dean brought to her. This lasted for a few days, until yesterday, the dean's message took root. Two girls fetched her from the office and sat with her in the cafeteria during lunch.

On-going counseling will help with her poor self-esteem, but the child has and will continue to pay a heavy price for her impulsive actions. Through the tough times ahead, she'll find comfort knowing that two people will be there to help her, two young ladies who had the courage to stand by her when she most needed it and call her Friend. When the dean finished his account, my sister said the hearts of those present had softened, some wiped tears from their eyes, and all left with the stones they had intended to cast at the dean for not expelling the young girl.

Honalo

Registered
Reaction score
My husband will never let me hear the end of this: first day of our honeymoon, San Fransisco airport. We find a wallet filled with cash shortly after getting off the plane and into the baggage terminal. I told him we had to turn it in - cash and all - and we did. I always tell him it will give him good karma into his next life.

Then there was the time the homeless woman asked me to write a letter to her son on the hood of my car, in the parking lot of a supermarket, as a thunder and lightning storm was approaching. As I recall, I was standing out there as it started to rain, still writing for her.

We used to have a old man who lived down the street from us - he had some kind of muscle problem so that he could only take a few steps at a time down to his mail box to get the mail. Would wrench your heart. Whenever I was outside and saw him struggling to reach the mailbox, I'd get the mail for him. Save him the trip.

As far as people doing things for me .... aside from the people letting me ahead in the grocery line if I only had one item ... nothing's coming to mind at the moment.

Kitrianna

Official Bad Cat's Prez
Registered
Reaction score
In one of THOSE moods. Look out people, no one is
Agape, part two

I never finished what happened there at the church that night, so before I continue on, I feel I ought to do that now.

As we walked out of Agape with enough money to keep us fed for a few days and filled with a peaceful feeling, a beautiful woman approached us all. She hadn't been at the service that night she explained, but she was able to see us for what we were. She introduced herself as Deirdre. Kthrok and I came very quickly to call her Mama.

She invited all of us to come to her home in the morning for breakfast, a shower and to do a load or two of laundry. She would pick us up, all we had to do was tell her where to pick us up and she gave us a ride home that night. Will and Jake never took her up on her offer, but Kthrok and I did. We were inexplicably drawn to this wonderful woman.

The following morning, Mama Dee picked us up at the nearby HEB. It would have been very difficult for her to have found the entrance to our camp and we did not want to draw unwanted attention to the fact that we were there anyways.

She cooked us a huge Louisiana breakfast with eggs, toast, bacon and grits. I still remember being so stuffed I couldn't move. Obviously we had showers and were able to do our laundry without feeling hurried in the least. While we sat with her that day, we found out that she had been homeless herself, but had stayed at the local Salvation Army shelter because she had her teenage daughter with her. She had managed to find work and get into government housing. She didn't have much, but she was willing to share what she had.

A few days later when I came down with a severe kidney infection complete with raging back pain and fever, she insisted on us staying with her. She wouldn't here of me sleeping out in the cold while being so ill even though we repeatedly assured her that we had plenty of blankets and a camp stove to keep our tent warm. It would be three weeks before we would be able to leave her home, with her blessing.

It is now that I will tell you that Mama is black. Kthrok and I obviously are not, but that never stopped her from calling us her son and daughter, nor has it stopped us from calling her our mama, even in public. There are bonds that are stronger than blood. It is those bonds formed by God that are the strongest of all.

Mama Dee will always be our mama. We still call her to this day. Nowhere near as often as we would like to be able to and we miss her all the time. She is big reason why we would like to return to Austin someday. It's hard living so far away from your mama.

MoonWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Mela - if you can't recall anyone doing something nice for you, I hope you don't have to wait for the next life for that karma to kick in. Nice what you did. I know it had to be hard - who's to say that whoever you handed over the wallet to didn't pocket the cash.

I had the same dilemma a few years back. My wife, two kids and I were retuning from a family reunion in Virginia Beach. After getting a speeding ticket, we stopped at a McDonald's for dinner (had to conserve our cash to pay the fine). After I emptied my bladder, I went into the stall for some TP to blow my nose. On top of the huge dispenser, I found a pouch, loaded with cash and about 50 checks. I stuck it in the front of my pants and walked to the table where my wife and kids were eating. My wife's eyes widened. No, it's not that, I said, it's a pouch full of money. I had to show her before she believed me. Before we could decide what to do with it, a truck came screeching into the parking lot and skidded to a stop. Two men jumped out. One ran straight to the bathroom, then came out shaking his head. I asked him what he was looking for. A pouch, he answered. I asked what color was the pouch, as if I found them all the time. He told me and I handed it over. Did you look in there, he asked. Yeah, lots of cash, I told him. I don't care about the cash, he said. It's the checks. I have a week's worth of checks in here. He thanked me, took out a hundred, shoved it at me and was gone before I could refuse. The hundred bucks came in handy. I had $2.13 left over after I paid for the speeding ticket. I figure, no matter the outcome, you always come out ahead when you do good.

Nice of you to write that letter. I'm sure it meant a lot to that mother. I just hope you didn't argue with her too much the about the importance of hooking her son with the first sentence. :)

The old man - he was lucky to have such a nice neighbor. The only time I talk with my neighbors is when we stay for a hurricane and lose power. With no TV or AC, they tend to migrate outside. Thanks for sharing.