Suicide

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Just learnt today that a friend of mine shot himself last night ...... How do you get throught something like this?

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One breath at a time.

Both of my parents killed themselves 24 years apart. It's hard. Really hard.

It's a very selfish act and the ones that loved them are left wondering why and there's never any closure. You just accept and move one. Remember the good.

(((HUG)))

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
It's extremely hard to get through. Our 19-year-old neighbor hung himself a month ago.

No one knows what goes on in a person's mind. Not even those closest to the deceased. From what I know, they feel hopeless. Totally hopeless. I have a close family member who has tried several times.

Just take it one day at a time, one moment at a time. And grieve. Please, please, grieve! Don't bottle it up. Think about him. Talk about him.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
My thoughts are with you and your friends...

It's difficult but you will get through it. Two of my friends committed suicide. You just need to find a way to sort it out.

RobJ

Banned
Reaction score
I'm really sorry to hear about your friend. It will take time for you to come to terms with what he did, and you might find yourself playing the what-if game along the way. Many of us have also lost friends and loved ones through suicide, so we know what you're going through. Don't let the end he chose spoil your memories of the friendship that you shared.

I'm sure you'll have close friends and family that you can turn to for support. Don't be shy about using them. This is when they're needed.

Take care.

Cheers,
Rob

Rarri

Registered
Reaction score
Let yourself grieve, however you feel, don't feel tied down by feeling you should grieve a particular way.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Its just so odd, he would have been the last of my friends that I would have thought would do this.
However saying that and speaking as a nurse who has dealt with this within my career I know those that do commit suicide do it usually quietly, with a plan, not wanting anyone to stop them.
All he left was a really weird update status on his facebook :(
Its a quote from a song .... that basically talks about suicide.

He was only 22. RIP Josh

Last edited:

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
posts 13 and 14 contain great advice and insights.

the fact of the matter is, depending on how close you were, you may never "get through it".

the pain will fade, but it may also come roaring back without notice.

be prepared for the fact that, in some ways, your life (and your outlook on life) will never be the same.

i wish you and your friend's family and circle of friends whatever measure of peace is there for you, and i'm sorry to hear this happened.

Serena Casey

User Titles Rock
Registered
Reaction score
Website
serenacasey.com
the fact of the matter is, depending on how close you were, you may never "get through it".

the pain will fade, but it may also come roaring back without notice.
Not to make you think you will always feel this level of grief, but the above is true, especially if you do bottle it up. I lost my dearest friend 23 years ago this month to suicide, and since I did suppress my grief and emotions, it all came back around a few years ago when he would have turned 40.

Doesn't mean I don't have a happy life, though - you can cope with it if you can talk about it, even if it's only by writing. I've written thousands of words as free therapy, and it does help to an extent.

My best to you. If you ever need to talk, PM me.

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
I am so sorry, brainstorm. Prayers and good thoughts are with you all. Hoping your friends and family will help ease the pain. (((((((((HUGS)))))).

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

brad_b

Knight Errant
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere in my mind... it echoes in here ...
Sorry to hear about your loss, brainstorm, I know an emptiness follows when we lose someone, but over time the pain fades somewhat. Know my prayers are with you and may you find some small comfort in the memories of your friendship.