Good sign?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreaming

Registered
Reaction score
Greetings Fellow Writers,

I've just discovered that my book will be reprinted in hardcover. I don't remember this being discussed in my contract. My book came out in November, and the hardcover is scheduled for February. Does this mean that my book is doing well and my publisher is investing more, or is this simply the way it goes: trade paperback first and hardcover follows?

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
Dreaming, I have no idea -- that's really unusual. I would suspect it means you're doing well. But definitely, definitely talk to your agent about this; if your contract doesn't deal with this, it probably should!

Dreaming

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Claudia!

My agent is wonderful, but has said I ask a lot of questions, so I try to get some answers from you wonderful folks here.

By the way, MANY congrats on your book's success. It's an honor to font with you. :)

p.s. I guess my simple question should be: Hardcovers usually (or always) come out first?

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
Speaking as a reader only here, the trend seems to me to be that they release the hardcover books first and then come out with the paperbacks later.

At least that's how I notice it with the books I've wanted to buy in the past (because I don't buy a book until it reaches paperback, and usually have to wait several months for the hardcover to go away).

My assumption is that they milk the initial sales for the more expensive hardback books and when those sales slump, they reprint in paperback to get an extra oomph of sales. Can't say for sure, but that's how I reason it.

I've also noticed that it's not ALWAYS the norm. For instance, Wally Lamb's new book has both hardback and paperback out at the same time. Have no idea why.

I've never seen a paperback out FIRST though, but based on my sales assumption above, I would see it as a good sign.

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
It concerns me a little that your agent has discouraged you from asking questions. My advice would be to save up several questions, then have a long e-mail or conversation dealing with all of them.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
Hardcovers usually come out first, but again, it depends on your genre and your sales.
For example, Jim Butcher's Dresden Files books initially came out in massmarket paperback. But now that the series is bestselling all over the place, it's slowly being re-released in hardcover.

Dreaming

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks chaostitan!

Claudia, it concerns me too. But this agent is stellar and fought to get my book in print. Don't get me wrong, I haven't bombarded him with questions. In fact, I totally disagree. But we mostly communicate by email, and you know how email is: no inflection, no true smiles or feelings, so he often thinks I'm whining when I'm just asking.

It's frustrating, but trust me - he put a WHOLE LOT into my novel for very little $$ compared to what he's used to. Alas.

Status
Not open for further replies.