Ipecac

RunawayScribe

It is what it is.
Registered
Reaction score
I've never taken it. I know what it is, thanks to life experience, and I know how to take a dose thanks to the good old worldwide web. What I need to know is what color/consistency it is, what it tastes like, what it feels like while it's working, etc.. Any details from an ipecac-taking experience would be helpful and very much appreciated. I will judge no one who posts. It is, after all, a poison-purging agent that can be abused just like anything else. :)

Runaway

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
It is dark brown and a little bit sticky, and it tastes horrible--bitter and sour and just plain weird.

At least, that was what it was like in 1967, which was the last time I had to take it.

Rarri

Registered
Reaction score
Never taken it personally, so perhaps this wont be what you're looking for, but i struggled with eating er, 'issues' (just don't feel like saying it) and amongst everyone i knew and spoke to, even ipecac was something of a no-go (or perhaps this is a UK thing) because it could kill with the first use.

Keyan

ubiquitous
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't realize it was risky - I recall a poison control center recommending it for a two-year-old kid who'd swallowed iron tablets. This was in the late 1980s.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Oh god. Sadly, I do have an ipecac story that's mostly a product of my own idiocy. Let's just say that I came to a crossroads one day and decided that I'd feel worse if I allowed the second dose of cold medicine I'd taken (not realizing how similar the ingredients were to what I'd already tried) to melt to efficacy in my stomach.

I tried the finger down the throat. Didn't work.

I remembered the Ipecac in the first aid kit. Silly me, I thought I'd cough up the pill and be done with it. Six hours later, thirteen vomiting incidents into my ordeal, I decided to call an expert to find out just exactly what I'd done to myself.

"Oh no, tell me you didn't..." Not a great thing to hear from the operator at the poison control center.

Apparently, Ipecac causes you to vomit, not by irritating your stomach lining, but by fiddling with your central nervous system, depressing something that keeps the peristalsis rippling down, not up.

The first thing I felt was as if I'd been given a lobotomy. Ipecac doesn't make you nauseated. It just drapes a leaden stupid over your thought processes. Nothing happens so much as just losing your will to live. Then, there's very little warning before the contents of your stomach is in your mouth - just a vague unease deep below your stupor. And it doesn't stop for hours.

Then you'll have an Ipecac hangover for a day or so and once your head clears you'll vow never to do that again unless your life is truly in danger.

Last edited:

RunawayScribe

It is what it is.
Registered
Reaction score
Phew - that's really unsettling, I have to say. I need my MC to take it (only once), though, so this is very helpful. Thanks.

About how many hours would you still be sick after taking it??

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I felt crappy for about twelve hours, if I recall correctly, maybe slightly longer. And kind of grim all the next day. It's rough stuff. I had no idea.

You'd have to have some kind of hardcore devotion to your eating disorder if you worked Ipecac into your routine.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I have to laugh because I never imagined my Ipecac story would ever be of any use besides embarrassment.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I threw up at tapering intervals. The shortest was probably a few minutes apart and then they lengthened out to once an hour and then just faded into feeling like shit for a while. I found I couldn't sleep or get distracted by anything. Brain was simply too dull to do anything but sit there and doze and suffer.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If your story takes place in present day, I believe they don't sell ipecac any more.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
If your story takes place in present day, I believe they don't sell ipecac any more.

Not so. Although the large national pharmacy chains in the US have stopped stocking it, there are still states in the US where it is a) recommended by the state poison control center, and b) required to be kept in the first-aid kits of schools and daycares.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
They stopped selling it?
I bought it just a few years ago; I bought it because I had two busy toddlers and ipecac is sort of a must-have with curious toddlers (though we all hope the cabinet door locks prevent any accidental poison ingestion).

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ah! My bad. I remember seeing it in the news a few years ago. The FDA did vote to take away it's OTC drug status, and if the FDA ever gets enough funding to do anything ever, and officially makes that change, it won't be available at all (cause it doesn't have prescription drug status). (from here)

Rarri

Registered
Reaction score
Hmn, we don't have anything like ipecac over the counter here (apart from a few medicines which contain ipecac but are for other purposes) for helping those who've been poisoned. I don't know why that's only just occured to me, haha.

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Apparently they make it in tablets now. I never heard of that.

HAHAHAHA! Sorry, semilarge, you've been had. That's not ipecac at all. That's a homeopathic preparation. The designation 30X means that it is a solution of ipecac that's been diluted to 10^-30 times. In other words, it's .0000000000000000000000000000001 % ipecac! Some folks might call it water.

Rarri

Registered
Reaction score
How ironic, they come from a site called 'lucky vitamin' :eek:

Just seen previous post, thank goodness, haha.

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
HAHAHAHA! Sorry, semilarge, you've been had. That's not ipecac at all. That's a homeopathic preparation. The designation 30X means that it is a solution of ipecac that's been diluted to 10^-30 times. In other words, it's .0000000000000000000000000000001 % ipecac! Some folks might call it water.

I haven't been anything. I never said I bought it, I just found it online. I think you need to calm down a little. :Hug2:

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, didn't mean to be attacking you, but rather trying to criticize companies like lucky vitamin who purposely mislead consumers like that.

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
Gotcha. It drives me nuts too. My mom falls for that kind of crap all the time.