How to LOOK like a writer? v. Fashion and style thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
Ok, so it seems like various artists and such have a certain style to them. You have the rockstars and their look, doing their thing. You have actors/actresses and their looks and style. And you have painters (the true blue, resident artists) and they all have a style about them.

So what styles/fashions/clothes/hair make up your typical writer?

Am I, as a writer, doomed to front the writer's image by wearing turtle necks and sweaters? Weigh in on what you imagine the writer/author looks and dresses like.

Greenify13

Fair Maiden of War.
Registered
Reaction score
Damn, I hope you are wrong, but at the same time I do see the trends you mention. However, there is the difference of what the authors genres are. And I peronsally don't think there is such a thing as a "typical writer". (No offence meant, just my opinion.)

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
Ok... here is my best fashion guess for the following genres. (Disclaimer... if you are offended, contact QuickWit via PM.)

Poet - Black shirt, black pants, a cigarette in one hand and a glass of absinthe in another.
SciFi/ Graphic novels - A T-shirt displaying l33t speak, jeans and Converse sneakers. (Expect Star Wars quotes to flood your ears.)
Fantasy - Matching clothes are optional. Long hair and stone amulets hanging from their necks are a must for women... maybe men too!
Western - take a wild guess
Script writers - (Im sorry... script writers scare me.. I usually avert my eyes and hope they don't pick on me.)
Literary - (See Poet)
Horror - Usually naked and covered in fur. (See Haggis)
Children - Imagine your kindergarten teacher.... yep... that's right.
Romance - flowing skirts and blousy tops... Guys will be missing their 'man card'.
Erotica - Clothes?
Non Fiction - Blue shirt and khakis with a sports jacket.
Teen - Tries to look different... just like everyone else.
Humor - (see Script writers)

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Oh dear, I dress like a literary/poet type, minus the cigarette (but with the absinthe).

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, it sucks not having amulets.

Greenify13

Fair Maiden of War.
Registered
Reaction score
Oh great, so I have to wear all black, I have the cigarette part down...and I need to get an amulet?
Fun Times :D

JamieFord

giving resonant directions
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamieford.com
Here's Charles Bukowski making an anti-fashion statement. The barfly-poet look, it's the new black.

bukowski.jpg

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
Ok... here is my best fashion guess for the following genres. (Disclaimer... if you are offended, contact QuickWit via PM.)

Poet - Black shirt, black pants, a cigarette in one hand and a glass of absinthe in another.
SciFi/ Graphic novels - A T-shirt displaying l33t speak, jeans and Converse sneakers. (Expect Star Wars quotes to flood your ears.)
Fantasy - Matching clothes are optional. Long hair and stone amulets hanging from their necks are a must for women... maybe men too!
Script writers - (Im sorry... script writers scare me.. I usually avert my eyes and hope they don't pick on me.)
Literary - (See Poet)
Romance - flowing skirts and blousy tops... Guys will be missing their 'man card'.
Erotica - Clothes?

Uh-oh. I write horror, so...

You know, naked isn't exactly practical in this part of the country. Although if I stop plucking my eyebrows and shaving my legs, I might could get the "covered in fur" part down...

caromora

Still alive. Kind of.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkstaind-stars.livejournal.com
I don't know. I think the typical writer fashion/best way to look like a writer is--sweatpants, t-shirt with coffee stain (don't drink and type, people, don't drink and type), hair that hasn't seen a brush in days, and eyes bleary from staring at a computer screen/notebook for too long.

ETA:

Literary - (See Poet)
Erotica - Clothes?

What if you write a combination of those? A fantasy poet? A children's horror writer (the image of that will keep me from sleeping tonight)?

Last edited:

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know. I think the typical writer fashion/best way to look like a writer is--sweatpants, t-shirt with coffee stain (don't drink and type, people, don't drink and type), hair that hasn't seen a brush in days, and eyes bleary from staring at a computer screen/notebook for too long.

That is perfect! (Except the don't drink and type part.) ;)

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Ok, so it seems like various artists and such have a certain style to them. You have the rockstars and their look, doing their thing. You have actors/actresses and their looks and style. And you have painters (the true blue, resident artists) and they all have a style about them.
I guess I've never noticed that these people have a look and style. To be honest, I couldn't tell you if someone is a rockstar, actor, or painter simply by how they are dressed.

As far as writers, I like to wear a Herringbone tweed jacket with patches on the elbows, jeans, a t-shirt, smoke a pipe, and wear old school black Converse All-Star basketball shoes.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score

ETA:

What if you write a combination of those? A fantasy poet? A children's horror writer (the image of that will keep me from sleeping tonight)?

Paint a black shirt and pants on your naked body and go teach kidnergarten.

Hey at least you're garaunteed one phone call.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nike logo t-shirt
bright white,
print boxered
recliner legs up,
backdrop back
on upright,
laptop to namesake

words fly
close to the sun
even late
at night,
unwaxed and
unwaned

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
Nike logo t-shirt
bright white,
print boxered
recliner legs up,
backdrop back
on upright,
laptop to namesake

words fly
close to the sun
even late
at night,
unwaxed and
unwaned

:LilLove:

Beach Bunny

The Provocative One
Registered
Reaction score
Cigarettes. An interesting phenoma. Many creative people (actors, writers, artists, etc.) smoke. More than the rest of the population. I have no idea why that is. I don't think it is a fashion statement though. :Shrug:

Screenwriters wear the same thing that everyone else in Hollywood wears. Black. Black pants, black shirt, black ball cap, black shoes, etc. For creative people they certainly are boring when it comes to getting dressed. Wear a bit of color and you stand out like a neon sign on the Sunset Strip. :)

StevenJ

Bored Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.salvatorepublishing.com
Screenwriters wear the same thing that everyone else in Hollywood wears. Black. Black pants, black shirt, black ball cap, black shoes, etc. For creative people they certainly are boring when it comes to getting dressed. Wear a bit of color and you stand out like a neon sign on the Sunset Strip. :)

I agree. Writers should act and dress like 'stars'. I'm tired of the public view of us as glorified stamp collectors or trainspotters! *swishes cape, whirls cigarette around his head several times*

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Haskins, don't be a spoilsport--or this naked erotica writer (brr!) will pay you a visit. Now that's horror.

Maryn, better off dressed

Status
Not open for further replies.