PDA

View Full Version : Offer from Editor- Unagented writer. Best way to approach?

Giant Baby
01-29-2009, 07:43 AM
I've got a friend who is a published non-fic author with a few books out--one currently in it's 14th printing and still selling well after a few years. Book two sold at auction in a Good Deal. He's got a hell of a platform. (Sigh) He's recently been approached by a publisher he's worked with, suggesting they do two more books together. He's interested in pursuing.

He's just parted ways with his agent, however, and I've recommended he get a new one ASAP to negotiate the deal. He's never queried (sigh), I don't think he's ever even prepared a proposal. He's always been approached. His primary focus is on the thing that makes him so marketable, so he really doesn't understand anything about publishing.

I really don't know non-fic, and I REALLY don't understand the ins and outs when publishing-bizzers come to the writer.

I'm helping him compile a list of agents appropriate to his fields of expertise, and he's getting his "offer from publisher, seeking representation" letter ready now.

As I suspect this will not be a long process, should he email everyone, even the venerables who don't accept email queries? Is that okay in this situation? The publisher is ready and waiting. Also, is there anything he should absolutely include in his letter (besides titles, ISBN numbers, "amicably parted ways with my agent..." type stuff), or anything he should absolutely keep out of it?

Sigh.

Stacia Kane
01-29-2009, 11:24 AM
YES, he should email everyone immediately, even those who don't take emails, and title the email something like I'VE RECEIVED AN OFFER FROM RANDOM HOUSE or whatever.

Can't think of anything else he should or shouldn't mention aside from what you've put, though.

Twizzle
01-29-2009, 03:48 PM
Just for the record, I hate him. :)

I bet he could call too. Email preferred, but if even that is too much...

Giant Baby
01-29-2009, 04:28 PM
Good. Thanks, guys. I'm seeing him today and didn't want to steer him wrong.

I hate him too, Twiz, but he introduced me to Javy Lopez and he's kind to children and animals, so I love him more. It's an issue.

Twizzle
01-29-2009, 04:31 PM
*sigh* indeed. wish him good luck.

jclarkdawe
01-29-2009, 05:28 PM
First question is whether he really needs an agent. He might just need an attorney to represent him in negotiating the contract. (Attorney needs to specialize in publishing.)

Assuming he does not an agent, I'd contact the editor and ask for a recommendation. In this situation, I'd prefer an agent that works will with my editor. I'd also ask my old agent.

Much as he might hate to do so, he needs to remember he's a business and start treating himself as one. The only person who is going to get screwed here is him.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Daawe