• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Join Forces (to write a gangster style screenplay)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoCartMozart

Registered
Reaction score
Hey i am a beginner at this, i am currently writing a script about aprivate detective called Eddie Heck. I would like a more experienced writer to help and in the event that it actually goes anywhere Profits split 50/50 of course.

Story summary.

Eddie heck hasn't had a case in two weeks, when he is lefted by two hards sent my a local crime boss. someone has jus stole 100k from the boss days earlier and in his investigation Eddies name comes up. He gives Eddie an ultimatium find/return my money or he dies. he finds out who has the money only find they where lefted that day and the money sits in a police evidence locker.

Eddie and cop friend try to steal the money form the storage locker but fail, this leaves only one option go to the crime lord with all guns blazing. in the end Eddie Lives for his friend dies saving his ass.

If your interested in working with me please send me an email.

PS i have already done the first six scenes, but may need some experiencedinput.

Kind Regards

Barry Devlin

Last edited:

xhouseboy

In the Yellow Woods
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey i am a beginner at this, i am currently writing a script about aprivate detective called Eddie Heck. I would like a more experienced writer to help and in the event that it actually goes anywhere Profits split 50/50 of course.

Story summary.

Eddie heck hasn't had a case in two weeks, when he is lefted by two hards sent my a local crime boss. someone has jus stole 100k from the boss days earlier and in his investigation Eddies name comes up. He gives Eddie an ultimatium find/return my money or he dies. he finds out who has the money only find they where lefted that day and the money sits in a police evidence locker.

Eddie and cop friend try to steal the money form the storage locker but fail, this leaves only one option go to the crime lord with all guns blazing. in the end Eddie Lives for his friend dies saving his ass.

[email protected]

PS i have already done the first six scenes, but may need some experiencedinput.

Kind Regards

Barry Devlin

Put yourself in Eddie's shoes.

Crime Boss thinks Eddie robbed him. Eddie now has the proof that this just wasn't the case. And he didn't even have to look very far; the culprits are in the pokey, and so's the money.

Now unless Eddie and his cop mate are a couple of psycho hot-heads, then I'm afraid I see no real need for them to tool up and go after this crime boss with all guns blazing.

Wouldn't a word in his ear suffice? Something along the lines of, 'Look, the guys who nicked your 100k have now themselves being 'nicked', but I'm afraid your cash ended up in the police evidence room. Now I don't know where you got the idea that I might have had something to do with it, but I can assure you that this was never the case. Hopefully this matter is now concluded.'

And unless of course the crime boss is a little bit tonto himself, and more than up for a bloody shoot-out with Eddie and his cop friend - even though he now has strong evidence that he was barking up the wrong tree - then I suspect this should more than satisfy him. He may have lost 100k, but that's small beer to a Crime Lord in this day and age.

And on a more serious note -- there's a big logic hole in your story in its current form, Barry. There has to be more to it than this, a lot more. And it would probably be worth getting the story tight and right before going to script.

Last edited:

Hillgate

On location
Registered
Reaction score

Story summary.

[email protected]

Kind Regards

Barry Devlin

Hi Barry - it sounds like very much like a cross between The Big Lebowski and Snatch. I think you should read both those scripts first before you write any more.

nmstevens

What happened?
Registered
Reaction score

Story summary.

[email protected]

Kind Regards

Barry Devlin

Well, my immediate impression of the above is that it feels very much like one of these hard-boiled Brit gangster flicks that can be good or not, depending on the execution.

In terms of the idea itself, it's all pretty familiar ground. There's nothing special about it. We've all been there and seen it before in various bits and pieces in other movies.

It falls into the category of what my agent would call -- "execution dependent."

When a script doesn't really have a strong idea it has to sell itself based on the strength of the writing.

That makes it kind of tough for you, since you're obviously looking around for somebody to provide that experience in the form of "writing strength" and it's the "idea" that you're bringing to the table -- not the quality of writing.

I'm afraid that a number of beginning writers in your position have made the same request that you have and face the same problem.

Experienced writers, I'm afraid, generally have plenty of their own ideas. There really isn't much to be gained for such a writer, either creatively or financially, in partnering up with a much less experienced writer who just brings an idea, or a treatment or a concept or a script that isn't really working.

The partnerships that work tend to be between writers who are creatively in synch but whose skills complement one another.

Maybe one is really good with story and structure, the other really good with dialogue. One is great with character, the other comes up with great set pieces. One is great doing the writing, the other is great at editing and rewriting.

The combinations are as different as the writing partnerships.

But what you're looking for -- unexperienced writer "partnering" with a more experienced writer and then they split the proceeds -- that's not, as far as I know, the basis for a successful partnership.

That's because, in a successful partnership, each brings something of equal value -- because by your own statement you expect both of you, at best, to take away equal value from the result.

And there are many people who think, "Well, I've come up with the story, now you either write it or help me write it, and then we'll split the results fifty/fifty."

Isn't that fair?

No, not really.

Because it is the ability not only to come up with a great idea (and this, I'm afraid isn't a great idea) but also the ability to transform an idea into a finished screenplay that makes you a screenwriter.

It's that process -- turning that nebulous idea into 100 pages of something that works from page 1 to page 100 that you're going to end up getting paid for.

Until you can contribute equally to that process, I fear you won't have much luck finding a more-experienced partner, because from their perspective, they are going to always see it as giving more than they're getting.

That being said, you may be able to find a comparably experienced partner who has writing strengths that you lack.

Then you would be talking about a genuine partnership where each contributes stengths and balances weaknesses.

NMS

GoCartMozart

Registered
Reaction score
I never realised there was so many holes in my story. Back to the drawing board then.

Is there websites with sample screenplays from actual films you can look at to see how the pros describe scenes?

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Check out the screenwriting tips sticky thread in Screen Writing discussion forum, which has links to screenplays, software, etc.

Also take a peek at our Share Your Work critique forum (password = vista) which is split into genre sub-forums including Screenwriting. Check out what other members are writing. Learn from their mistakes. :)

-Derek

Status
Not open for further replies.