PDA

View Full Version : New Project: Lit Journal Blog

mjlpsu
01-28-2009, 02:00 PM
I've started a new literary journal, Terracotta Typewriter (the only English-language, China-themed literary journal). I decided to add a blog of sorts to the site to help build traffic before the first issue and gain more continuous traffic. Any suggestions about the blog portion? Feel free to comment on the rest of the site as well. Blog page: http://www.tctype.com/?page_id=7
(http://www.tctype.com/?page_id=7)
Thanks,
Matt

caseyquinn
01-28-2009, 04:40 PM
hey here are a few suggestions:

1. the background should be stretched not tiled - it looks odd having the same picture ten times in teh background

2. i dont like the floating links as they area - perhaps trying to find some graphics or life to inject into the site. it seems sort of stale right now

3. not sure if it is just my browser but seems like under your posts is where your right column is displaying for me. the related posts, literary links, etc all show under the bottom when it should be in the right column

4. your ads escape the column you put them in and that doesnt look good perhaps resizing them to shrink a little bit

hope this helps!

veinglory
01-28-2009, 07:24 PM
I love the name and like the topic. I have subscribed to the feed but I hope for some more substantive posts? If the content is good I know some people I would recommend this blog to.

I would suggest tweaking the background. To me directly referencing the terratcota figures is "overt" in a rather non-literary way. It detracts from the cleverness of the name.

AndrewG
01-29-2009, 05:36 AM
Hi,

Here are a few of my suggestions:

- I would create a logo that also includes your blog's tagline "A Cultural Revolution of Literature" and uses an image of the terracotta soldiers.

- If you do a logo, then I would just have a solid plain white background.

- I would consider changing the "home, about, submit" links. The bright red doesn't really go with the rest of the colors and it pulls readers' eyes away from your top post.

Hope I helped!

-Andrew

mjlpsu
01-29-2009, 06:16 AM
Thanks for the advice. Didn't notice the ad thing, should be fixed now.

Casey, I'm not sure about your #3--Try reloading the page, that definitely shouldn't happen. And I'll see if I can come up with a better background image (I think stretching it would distort it too much on the blog page).

Andrew, I'm still waiting for a friend to give me a nice logo. I think I may have to do it myself soon. I have a few photoshopped images I could use, but they're not as good as the idea I had for something more original (which I can't do without a lot of help). And I'll see if I can find the code to change the page links to buttons somehow.

veinglory
01-30-2009, 02:11 AM
I would very much avoid using the words "cultural revolution" in relation to China unless atlking about it literally, out of respect for what people experienced in those times.

AshNova
02-07-2009, 12:51 PM
These are my observations on things that need improvement:

The URL is not 'memorable' like your other 2 blogs. If you can't change the URL you might want to consider URL redirection services or something similar.

Like someone else mentioned the tiled background spoils the look.

You've ads on the bottom of your blog as well as the right side bar,it would be nice if you could consolidate all of them in the right side bar.

Post wise,they are well written and if it were not for the fact that your blog has localized information,I might be interested more but that's just me :).

mjlpsu
03-02-2009, 07:04 AM
I've fixed up a lot of problems with the design of the site, but I'm lacking ideas for writing the blog. Any suggestions for topics are welcome.

Huaka
03-02-2009, 08:35 AM
You could review some famous novels by Chinese authors? They would probably keep in with your theme.