First Gangsters, Now Ghosts? I Love My Job.

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
Lots of folks here know already, but for those who don't know, the primary part of my job is taking care of vacant homes. I'm in real estate support services, which encompasses many things, but REO, or foreclosed properties is the biggest part right now.

I'm always on my guard when I'm in a vacant house because there could be a squatter or a copper thief in there, caught by surprise by my unexpected visit. It can be a dangerous occupation.

I have griped about having to deal with gangsters, but I seem to have come to some odd understanding with them, and things have been lots better. I have also taken some steps which, for various reasons, I don't want to delve into, but they have been quite effective so far.

So I can deal with the gangsters, but how the heck am I supposed to deal with a ghost?

I have a haunted house I'm caring for. Seriously.

I've had this place for a few months now, and it doesn't fit the description of a 'typical' haunted house. It's in a new, very upscale neighborhood, and it's fairly new, maybe five years old or so. It's not really modern, but it is pretty trendy, huge master bath, skylights, the works. (One of the worst floor plans I've ever seen, btw.)

I've come to the realization that the place is haunted gradually. First, I didn't see anything odd. Then, slowly, I started to see things that didn't happen at any other properties. I ruled out kids getting in, and Realtors showing the places because these sort of things have never happened in other properties where kids have gotten in. Realtors wouldn't bother with it, never have anywhere else. Besides, the same Realtor would have to keep on doing the same thing, and they don't show that property every week.

About two months ago, I heard movement in the attic. I figured it was just the heating ducts because it was recently turned on, but it still sounded like footsteps. I was a bit curious, but I blew it off. The next week, I definitely heard footsteps up there. I checked everything out, but there's nothing there but a small crawlspace packed with HVAC stuff.

Besides, where I heard the footsteps, there was no attic. It was a vaulted ceiling. I checked out the roof, as best I could, but there was no easy access to it without a ladder. I figured it was settling or something else.

It happened again the next week. I ran outside to see if I could find anyone, but there was nothing up there. When I went back inside, footsteps again. I left, feeling creepy. I still didn't think it was really haunted, though.

I don't think it's haunted now, I know it is.

I was there today, and I hear the steps again, and I ignore it figuring that it's the pipes, heat, something. I'm doing my checklist and I'm in the master bath when I see a guy, more like a thick black shadow of a guy, walk across the doorway behind me.

I yelled out 'Hey, you aren't supposed to be in here' and gave chase, but there was no one in the master bedroom. The only way out was the front door, down a short hall and across a large swath of pergo flooring (never install pergo flooring in your home, people, it sucks) and no one was there.

He couldn't have made it to the door without me seeing him, plus the pergo floor would have made a racket, and I heard nothing.

I saw this thing, a glance at first but I had my eyes full directed on it before it passed fully out of sight. It was there.

This house is haunted.

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
No need to worry unitil he/she/it calls out 'Hey, you aren't supposed to be here' and gives chase.

JJ

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
No need to worry unitil he/she/it calls out 'Hey, you aren't supposed to be here' and gives chase.

Man, the way I feel now, I think I'd make my own doorway and punch right through a wall.

This is in broad daylight, now, lights on, skylights. Skylights now, this is Vegas, the sunlight is brutal here.

My wife and I were just discussing this and I recalled my son went with me a few weeks back and he was doing the checklist in the master and didn't finish it. I asked him why, and he said he was scared in there. I laughed it off at the time and finished the checklist myself. This is a huge master bath, a Jacuzzi tub, separate double shower, three sinks and two toilet bowls, a fireplace, all very open, nothing to be scared of there.

He's twelve, active imagination and all that.

Well, I'm fifty, and I'm not looking forward to going back into that bathroom next week, I can tell ya that.

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
Take a camera and go for a snapshot of it.

That's not a bad idea. Maybe he's camera shy. It might scare him away.

I'd rather not see him again. Ever.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
chicken.

Look, a ghost isn't going to hurt you--usually. It probably is just checking up on the place, making sure you're not messing around with its stuff. Get a picture of it. it'll be fun.

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
Look, a ghost isn't going to hurt you--usually. It probably is just checking up on the place, making sure you're not messing around with its stuff. Get a picture of it. it'll be fun.

What expertise do you have on this? Have you ever seen a ghost in broad daylight? What makes you think it's not malevolent? What can and can't they do? Fill me in, 'cause I'll take all the advice I can get right now. Really.

I saw the UTMB Galveston ghost dozens of times, but it mostly just hangs out on a wall at night. It's not there in the daytime. My wife worked in the building, and she and a co-worker both saw it in the hallway one night. The co-worker quit.

She's not squeamish, and neither am I. I'm not easily spooked. (Actually, after they saw the ghost, me and two friends took an ice-chest and some beach chairs in there to 'ghost watch' while my wife was working late. She kicked us out when she discovered what we were doing 'cause she'd get fired for the beer part. Party pooper.)

Seeing that ghost freaked out some visiting friends, but it never really bothered me. It was sorta tingly feeling weird, but not like this.

When I was 15 and 16, I was dragged around to 'haunted' houses by my English teacher. I went because she was hot, but I wasn't overly impressed with the ghost hunting. Mostly, they were just dilapidated houses filled with rats. I never saw a ghost.
(I was never sexually abused by her, either, but that didn't stop me from hoping it might happen.)

I have known several people who lived in haunted houses, and I've been in them when downright strange things have happened. I related here some time back about a friend's house which was haunted, they finally moved out after some six months of problems, but they had lived there for a decade with no problems whatsoever. I saw the sand under the carpet, in a little dune stretched across the living room. It is very odd that that sand comes from the east coast, no where near San Antonio.

I have seen things that were 'eerie' and 'spine-tingling', I've seen lots more than most folks, but most people aren't dragged around southern Virgina by a gorgeous young teacher, either.

I saw this thing. Not a glimpse. I had eyes locked on it. I gave chase, thinking it was a real person. I was four, five steps away from it, not any distance at all.

It was a black mass, not transparent like a shadow, but like a person dressed in black from head to toe, passing across the 'doorway' (no door there, just a large opening, maybe six, eight feet across). That's lots of time to lock your eyes on someone walking past.

The master bedroom is quite large, so my four steps behind would have brought it into view right then. There was nowhere for anything or anyone to hide in there, no furniture, no closets, the walk-in closets are opposite the master bath. I still thought that a person was in front of me until I hit that pergo floor, and the full view of the great room. No way anyone is that fast or that silent.

I have never heard of any report of a ghost in broad daylight. I'd much rather deal with thieves and gangsters than this. I can't hit it with a pipe, and I can't shoot it.

That sorta limits my options.

Last edited:

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
Oooo, have fun with that. I lived in a house that had some...other residents. It was kind of amusing until one of them moved my (loaded) gun (I woke up with it lying on my bedside table point AT ME instead of pointing at the wall on the other side of the table).

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
I woke up with it lying on my bedside table point AT ME instead of pointing at the wall on the other side of the table

That's the sorta thing that scared my friend out of his house in San Antonio. They had a fan which was set to one setting, he had put a blank plate over the control switch because the kids played with it, one day the fan was on 'high'. Things like that. The incident which caused them to leave was when his wife was alone in the house, she was walking down the hallway and heard a male voice behind her say 'mommy?'.

She never set foot into that house again.

But they never actually saw a ghost. Did you?

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
But they never actually saw a ghost. Did you?

We saw someone (a woman) walking past the top/bottom of the stairs MANY times. (Like, you'd look down the stairs and see someone just as they were stepping out of view, if that makes sense) We also felt her brush past us on the stairs, especially in the dark.

There were a few times where we'd be sitting at a desk in the office, and a shadow would fall over the desk like someone was standing behind us. My husband once said, "Okay, I see you, go away please," and the shadow left.

We never "saw" the little boy, there was just always this feeling that if you turned around, there would be a little boy standing behind you (except one room, he always seemed to stop at the door). Hard to explain.

My roommate woke up and saw three people standing next to his bed (we hadn't told him about the ghosts, nor the fact that we believed there were three "individuals" in the house...he specifically mentioned a little boy, which we had both seen too)

After we moved out, our old roommate was watching TV and felt someone sit down on the bed behind him.

I was alone in the house one time and kept hearing doors slamming upstairs. Each time I went upstairs, a different door was open.

Yeah. There was something there.

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
Okay maybe it's because I've taken too many Tylenol, or because I'm not sleeping well, or because it's 1:30 am but you guys are freaking me out. stop it. I don't even believe in ghosts and you're freaking me out. lol very funny.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
Okay maybe it's because I've taken too many Tylenol, or because I'm not sleeping well, or because it's 1:30 am but you guys are freaking me out. stop it. I don't even believe in ghosts and you're freaking me out. lol very funny.

Yeah, I tried telling myself "I don't believe in ghosts". Then I saw someone walk past the top of the stairs in an otherwise empty house.

The stuffed animal that mysteriously ended up on the other side of the room was amusing. The exploding picture frame? Not so much.

But it was the gun that really messed with my head. Needless to say, I didn't keep it loaded after that.

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
I was alone in the house one time and kept hearing doors slamming upstairs. Each time I went upstairs, a different door was open.

Yeah. There was something there.

I know what you mean. I lived in a house in Germany which, in retrospect, we decided was haunted. There were lots of creepy things, like the stairs. Every night, the stairs would creak one at a time, from the bottom to the top, like someone climbing the stairs. My father dismissed that as the 'house settling at night'.

This was a very old German Manor house in Hahn, three stories with a basement and attic, hidden passages, bomb shelter, etc. Hitler once, or more than once, slept in the bedroom I had. Sorta creepy right there.

The odd thing was that the toilets flushed, all of them, every night all at once. My father said this was a smart German thing, that they did something with the water pressure which made this happen.

Turns out that was complete crap. No way can that be done. But, for a ten-year-old, it sounded plausible enough to me.

None of us ever saw a ghost, but there was something there.

Last edited:

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
I'll take pictures of this place next week and post them so everyone can see the place.

Like I said, it's not the sorta place you'd expect to be haunted. You'll see.

I can't post any photos of the front, or any identifying pics because that might get me into trouble with the bank's asset manager or listing agent, and it could cost me my bond, which is everything in this biz.

They are, after all, trying to sell the place, and tales of it being haunted won't help that endeavor one bit.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
Honestly? When you walk into the house, greet it. Tell it you're just there to look around and take care of the place, you don't mean any harm and you aren't trying to disturb it.

There are some other things you can do, but as it's not your house it's probably best not to try them unless the ghost won't leave you alone.

Broadswordbabe

I'd rather be a cat.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gaiesebold.com
If you have any friends who know how to do a cleansing, you could ask them maybe?This is not the same thing as exorcism, by the way! This doesn't sound like a happy occupant, and maybe it just needs some gentle encouragement to move on.

chevbrock

Registered
Reaction score
What December said.

Not long after my Mother In Law died, one of the kids' toys kept going off, like someone was continually pressing the button. This went on at various times of the day and night.

It was getting really annoying, so I said, "Sandra, please stop it. We're trying to sleep".

It never happened again.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I want all of this to be true.

And by saying that, I'm not suggesting that I actively disbelieve you. I just have this lead hurdle when it comes to ghosts and the funny thing is, I really want to believe. I'll likely subscribe to this thread - which I never do - just to read the convictions of people who have had experiences.

I'm a brick.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
I'm with you, Perks. I want to believe.

Joe, take a tape recorder with you or a video camera. Do some EVP stuff. Talk to it. Ask it questions. When you play the recording back, maybe you'll get the answers.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Check the history of the land where the house is built. Remember the house may be new but the land isn't.

If the spirit isn't bothering you leave it alone, just explain what you're doing there.

If you want the spirit to leave you can use a Sage stick or water and salt for a purifacation. Light the Sage stick and go through the house with it telling the spirit that they can cross over, this is not their world and their world is waiting for them. It's time for them to be at peace. The water and salt are used in a similiar fashion you sprinkle the salt and splash water through the house telling the spirit it's okay to cross over.

My cousin's house was haunted. It never bothered them or us. We were sitting in the kitchen one night when she was making dinner and the lights went off. She just said that she didn't have time for that now and the lights came back on.