Back to the future?/Too late for XP operating system...?

ATP

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
[This is a cross post, relevant to quite a number of those here who work with this technology]

Within the next two weeks, I am going to purchase a new computer (digital video workstation), which requires use of XP Pro 32 bit.

I have spent an enormous amount of time researching the intracacies of video workstations until it drove me mad. I need XP Pro 32 bit OS, as it is the plank/foundation for my future work.

But, I am now confused and getting a bit anxious, with Microsoft's recent announcement concerning the phasing in of Windows 7 and phasing out of XP.

I need to know if I can still purchase XP Pro 32 bit, and what the future ie. next 12-24 months holds for its use by the end user and its 'support' by Microsoft?

Anyone here able to enlighten me, and clarify the news coming from Redmond?

Thanks.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Well....Win7 is due this year. Windows XP has stayed alive mainly due to the fact that Vista was so horrible, but Win7 beta is actually already out and receiving positive feedback.

Cue transport to Tech Talk forum in t-minus 10...9...8....

I've heard that Microsoft is planning to support XP until 2014. If the gods are right, the world will have ended two years earlier anyhow, so who cares?

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
ATP
Yes, you can still buy XP 32 bit. And I would say, with some confidence, that you will have support available for the next 2 years.

ETA: for the nickel the opinion is worth. :)

Last edited:

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
I don't know ATP's situation, Tirjasdyn, but there are a number of current video editing software suites, and "legacy" video cards, that don't work and play well with Vista. Most of them aren't going to work with Seven, either.

ATP

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know ATP's situation, Tirjasdyn, but there are a number of current video editing software suites, and "legacy" video cards, that don't work and play well with Vista.

Got it in one.

Most of them aren't going to work with Seven, either.

This I didn't know. And I guess you're referring to the immediate circumstances. Given the way these companies (and the general industry) work, I can only presume that the video editing software manufacturers are already making (haste) to provide editions compatible with 7 when it has officially launched.

...And if not? I suspect that there's going to be a whole lot of very upset and angry professional video editing software users making a lot of noise.