Has anyone worked with the Jenkins Group, Inc.?

sherry8661

Registered
Reaction score
My book is being co-published (I know red flags are flying everywhere!)
It is a memoir called "White Coffin, Pink Roses" and it is being published by a small press.

I'm considering using Jenkins firm for some marketing & promoting...they were suggested by my publisher (Polygon Publishing by Patricia Benson).

I wanted to know if anyone had feedback or knows about their work?

Ritergal

Registered
Reaction score
Website
heartandcraft.blogspot.com
Sherry,

Aside from the rep of the firm you are choosing, it's a challenge to figure out the economics of hiring people to promote your book if your royalties are near the average. Could you get the publisher to chip in? But then even the time we spend ourselves has value. And who knows? A good PR person could get you on Oprah and the NYT list!

Best wishes!

caseyrobert

Registered
Reaction score
jenkins group

As a small press, I find the Jenkins group a wonderful aide to reaching books buyers.

However I'm not sure how much good they would be for a vanity press. A lot of Bookstores and Libraries are so overwelmed by vanity press's they just aren't interested out of principle.

However the Jenkins Group seem to be for us good people.

caseyrobert

Registered
Reaction score
jenkins group

One last thing, I'm not sure what co-publishing is.
Are you the publisher or are they. There can only be one. That what be who owns the ISBN's. If they are the publisher, they would usually handle any marketing costs.
Is it in stock by distributors (copies on hand for sale), at least minimum press runs done (In this digital age we do 1000-2500 at a time) available to bookstores, ect.
Our break even point for a book is about 2,500 to 10,000 copies, depending on marketing costs.

broadwaylou99

Registered
Reaction score
BBB Complaint

I see Jenkins Group has an unresolved Better Business Bureau complaint where they failed to respond to a complaint. That's the only thing I could find.

thewritetherapy

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I did

Yes, I hired the Jenkins Group. I spent a lot of money, mailed the required 24 books and never heard one word from them after their "show" in New York City where my book was to be displayed. When I called to ask about feedback, I was told they do not provide feedback. The other books were designated to go to other shows which I signed up for and I never heard anything from those shows either. Not a word.

(I heard plenty from them prior to them receiving my money). Not only do I feel I was cheated out of my money and materials, I also know they are selling the books. So, I am competing for sales on books that I gave away.

Jenkins Group=Rip Off. Expensive lesson for me.