PDA

View Full Version : Glass House Press / Alacan Publishing

Atani
01-28-2009, 12:38 AM
Here's another new small publisher. Certainly their website lacks a great deal of information, and they only reference 1 book to be published (I suspect by the owner perhaps?).

Anyway, anyone know anything about these guys? I'm highly suspicious of ALL new and small publishers these days...

http://www.glasshousepress.com/

The Gunshark
01-28-2009, 01:43 AM
Here's another new small publisher. Certainly their website lacks a great deal of information, and they only reference 1 book to be published (I suspect by the owner perhaps?).

Anyway, anyone know anything about these guys? I'm highly suspicious of ALL new and small publishers these days...

http://www.glasshousepress.com/

I sent a query and synopsis off for the hell of it. I'll let you know what happens. It looks like a new company that is utilizing Barnes and Noble, Borders, and Amazon. The owner and managing editor of the company is Carrie White, not Richard Aaron.

:D

triceretops
01-28-2009, 02:49 AM
Not much to go on here, and it's probably another POD outfit. I will say that it appears as though they are taking it nice and easy--synopsis only, staying within a few selected genres, and one book out so far. That, I think, is at least the proper way for a small press to begin. I did very much like their lead title--The Guantlet. Some nice reviews, good cover art, and good pitch. Now, if they are highly selective, good with editing, and push their titles, all the better start for them.

I wrote a general email to them asking some questions. Let you know.

Tri

veinglory
01-28-2009, 03:28 AM
Under $12 for a 500 page book is low enough that it may well be offset printed.

The Gunshark
01-28-2009, 03:32 AM
Not much to go on here, and it's probably another POD outfit. I will say that it appears as though they are taking it nice and easy--synopsis only, staying within a few selected genres, and one book out so far. That, I think, is at least the proper way for a small press to begin. I did very much like their lead title--The Guantlet. Some nice reviews, good cover art, and good pitch. Now, if they are highly selective, good with editing, and push their titles, all the better start for them.

I wrote a general email to them asking some questions. Let you know.

Tri

It does not sound like they have a POD operation going. They are running through MidPoint Distributors and supposedly have listings at Barnes and Noble, Borders, and Amazon.com.

Let's keep an eye on these people, anyway.

triceretops
01-28-2009, 03:58 AM
Under $12 for a 500 page book is low enough that it may well be offset printed.

Where did you see $12? I saw amazon's price of 17.13. At least the numbers are low there.

Tri

veinglory
01-28-2009, 04:19 AM
Hmmm. You'e right. I must have mis-read it somehow.

priceless1
01-28-2009, 05:07 AM
They're distributed by Midpoint, so they're not POD

JerseyGirl1962
01-28-2009, 10:07 PM
From the website:

After having struggled for years in various (non-fiction) publishing, editing, and production positions, Carrie [White] stumbled across a fiction manuscript that deserved a better chance than it was receiving.

At least she's got some industry experience/connections, which a lot of new presses don't seem to have.

And, yeah, they've got one book coming out in March, so they're not trying to be everything to everybody. (That is, not dipping their toes into every genre out there.)

~Nancy

Atani
01-28-2009, 11:10 PM
Thanks everyone for your input. Maybe these guys will grow and become a good small publisher. Here's hoping! :)

veinglory
01-28-2009, 11:12 PM
Overall I'd say they look promising :)

sheadakota
01-28-2009, 11:39 PM
I hope so, I just queried them:)

triceretops
01-28-2009, 11:44 PM
I'd agree. Kind of rare when you see one of the little guys starting off on the right foot. Points for them.

Tri

David McAfee
01-30-2009, 06:23 AM
Where did you see $12? I saw amazon's price of 17.13. At least the numbers are low there.

Tri

According to Amazon, their first release, Gauntlet, is a hardcover, so the $17 Amazon price is just about right.

I went ahead and sent them a query and synop...figured what the heck. :)

triceretops
01-30-2009, 06:40 AM
Ah, now that's a good price for a hardback.

+Score:

Limited genres
First lauch--low-price hardback
distribution
Great cover art
No author mill tactics.

So far, so good.

Yeah, I broke down too, David. Let's see wuss up with these lil cretins. Oops, I mean nice little puppy, nice little puppy. Strokes and offers treats.

Tri

veinglory
01-30-2009, 06:52 AM
$17 is for both the hardback and the paperback editions, which is odd.

David McAfee
01-30-2009, 08:23 AM
I didn't see a paperback edition...Hmmm, maybe I wasn't looking hard enough.

EDIT: Oh, I found it. Paperback is listed at $16.95. Hardcover $17.13 (normal cover is shown as $25.95). That is odd.

katenash
01-30-2009, 07:58 PM
I met Carrie White when she was over in London last year. Glass House are just starting out but are a genuine company.

c2ckim
02-22-2009, 07:23 PM
does anyone know response time for submissions? Thanks

triceretops
02-23-2009, 06:56 AM
I sent two synopsis about 28 days ago. No reply, but it's early yet.

Tri

ChrisKelly331
03-17-2009, 04:41 AM
I sent a query this morning (10 am ish) for the heck of it and received this email at 7:30pm

Hi Christina, congratulations, I’m intrigued. <g> Unfortunately, Glass House is full up with three new titles for 2010, and I’m not taking on any new manuscripts at this precise moment. We might, however, be looking for something to come in for the last quarter of the 2010 schedule, and we’re always happy to court new authors for our stable. Please send along a longer synopsis with specifics on plot threads (ie, what do the characters actually do, what’s the end game, what’s the final point of the book?), and the first 50 pp of your manuscript. I can’t make any promises about getting to it soon, but I would like to take a look.

Im still holding out hope that one publisher in particular that already has my full will accept but I don't think it would hurt to send off the 50 pages to Ms. White. ;)

David McAfee
03-17-2009, 06:45 AM
I'm in the same boat as Tri...been waiting a month or so.

HJW
03-26-2009, 10:48 PM
Thought you guys might be interested that Glass House approached an author on Authonomy.

http://www.authonomy.com/Profile.aspx?userid=77abfaef-c6f5-4235-87b3-c4ec535e3afb

victoriastrauss
09-12-2009, 08:00 PM
Glass House Press charges at least some authors "a flat fee" for editing.

- Victoria

CaoPaux
01-17-2010, 10:01 PM
New imprint: Alacan Publishing aka http://comicmnemonics.com/

Sydewinder
08-20-2010, 03:22 AM
Any new info on these guys? experiences? Thoughts from the Borg Collective?

triceretops
08-20-2010, 04:21 AM
I can't even remember if I subbed to these guys before my computer blew up. The shop's holding it hostage and my H-drive has all my sub data on it. I didn't copy that stuff to my flash drive...so I went and subbed again a few mintues ago. They might be non-responders.

tri

Sydewinder
08-20-2010, 04:26 AM
I can't even remember if I subbed to these guys before my computer blew up. The shop's holding it hostage and my H-drive has all my sub data on it. I didn't copy that stuff to my flash drive...so I went and subbed again a few mintues ago. They might be non-responders.

tri

I read Gauntlet and was very impressed---editing/design etc. They produced a good product and got amazing reviews, plus they had good distribution. But the part about "fees" back up thread, from Victoria, is troubling, no?

Sydewinder
08-31-2010, 06:59 AM
Bumping this thread - I'm just wondering what people's take is on this publisher. I don't know how to make sense of a few things:

a) The fact that they seemed to have distribution (indicated by priceless, up thread),

b) they only seem to have one title (which I thought precluded publishers from getting good distributors). I thought a back list would be a requirement for most distributors.

c) Their website doesn't show any "coming soon" titles, but some people from my writers group claim to know some (or at least one) of their authors that are slated for 2012 release.

triceretops
08-31-2010, 07:05 AM
Yeah, I thought a backlist and a leading best-selling title was required for even a small distributor. How could they have this in place so soon?

tri

Sydewinder
08-31-2010, 07:31 PM
Right. And there is this post:

Bumped into Carrie White and Dick Byl again. Carrie had just signed a deal for distribution with Eric Kampman at Midpoint Trade Books. As her book shepherd, Id love to take all the credit for this, but all I did was advise her.

From this site: http://www.creativemindspress.com/tradeshowblogsBEA08.htm

She obviously went to bat for her title, but it still doesn't make sense. Also, why aren't they publishing more titles. Her twitter account says she's signed 2 more authors.

Anyone having any luck with applying their google-fu to this?

Crafty
04-30-2011, 03:16 AM
I just heard that this press has a really poor reputation and one of the worst contracts out there. I won't get into details, but if you get an offer from these guys, you might want to let Victoria take a look at the contract. I know someone who had very recent dealings with them and it did not go well. Plus, their website is truly awful and hasn't been changed in years, which happens to be a pet peeve of mine. But just wanted to drop an FYI.

AlishaS
07-04-2011, 11:13 PM
Bumping this thread.

Any news on them? They asked me for a partial a few days ago (response time about a week)
They are small, and I've heard their contract is a little iffy, but I figured why not? There's no harm in submitting and all, just to see what comes of it.

priceless1
07-05-2011, 04:18 AM
I went to their site, and they appear to have only one book, pubbed in 2009. I had to go to Amazon to find out the price and ISBN so I could look it up in Bookscan, where sales are in the upper three digits. Mind you, Bookscan isn't a foolproof method for determining sales, but they are somewhat representative.

Bookscan lists Midpoint as the distributor of record.

I did a search in Amazon of other Glass House books, and I see one other book was released in 2010, but it's listed on Amazon as unavailable. It isn't on the Glass House website.

Given that they've been around since 2008, and only have one book that appears to have very modest sales, I wonder what made them an attractive choice to you.

victoriastrauss
07-05-2011, 08:46 PM
I received a couple of reports last year about editing fees.

- Victoria

carriesue11
07-30-2011, 06:17 PM
Hi guys, I was told I should look into this thread and see what all the fuss was about. Glass House managing editor/publisher here. If you have questions feel free.

priceless1
07-30-2011, 06:46 PM
Hi Carriesue,thanks for stopping by. If I had only have one book out after all these years in business, my distributor would have dropped me like a hot potato, so I was curious about your distribution relationship with Midpoint. They have two different levels of distribution - one is actively pushing new titles to the marketplace, and the other is order fulfillment only. Could you please elaborate on which agreement you have? It makes a huge difference to authors.

Also, how can you stay in business with one book in print? What do you do to market and promote your book(s)?

carriesue11
07-30-2011, 07:00 PM
We have standard distribution through Midpoint, so we offer full distribution to all of our authors. We currently have active distribution on some of our nonfiction titles, and have never had any problem with Midpoint. Glass House runs full marketing and publicity packages for all our authors, with in-house marketing and independent publicists.

This is a very small press, and we don't depend on income from sales to back the press at this point. I think anyone who starts a new business can tell you that you live your first 10 years or so off of loans.

priceless1
07-30-2011, 07:19 PM
I think anyone who starts a new business can tell you that you live your first 10 years or so off of loans.
Gah! Ten years?? I've never heard that. That strikes me as a hideously long time to depend on loans.

I'm glad you've never had a problem with Midpoint. According to friends of mine who were with them, you're in the minority.

Glass House runs full marketing and publicity packages for all our authors, with in-house marketing and independent publicists.
Can you elaborate what this means? "All your authors"? You only appear to have one author, so how can you afford to employ these people?

Why is it you have only one book in your backlist (pubbed 2009) and no frontlist?

Your only title has very low sales, so I can't help but be curious about your website's claim that you're the "Jerry McGuire of the publishing industry." (http://www.glasshousepress.com/) Personally, the only line I remember from that movie is, "Show me the money!"

I'm not trying to be as urky as I may sound - I'm asking these questions because it's important for authors to feel confident that you can sell a lot of books and understand why your company is a logical choice for them.

carriesue11
07-31-2011, 06:57 AM
Hi Priceless, in regard to your questions... We deal with authors we actively recruit, and those authors come from agents and our submissions, rather than public forums. We have a total of five authors currently signed to the house and its imprints, and are quite happy with this number at the moment. I'm sure you can understand that I'm not going to answer financial questions about the company, regardless of your motives for asking.

I have to admit some confusion as to the tenor of your questions. You're coming off as quite aggressive, for no reason that I can see.

In regard to Jerry Maquire, if that's the only line you remember I would honestly recommend watching the film again. It's a very well-done movie, and features a lovely message about personal attention and building a personal relationship with your client. Our authors become our friends, and are invited into our personal circles. That's part of our mission statement, and one of the things that sets us apart from other publishers.

Katrina S. Forest
07-31-2011, 07:35 AM
carriesue11, in what way was priceless1 aggressive? There were two questions asked:

"Can you elaborate on what this means?"

and

"Why is it you have only one book in your backlist?"

I have no idea how either of those questions could seem remotely aggressive, even by the most sensitive reader. Anyway, if you're not sure of the tenor of the comments, isn't it better to give people the benefit of the doubt and assume they have sincere motives?

brianm
07-31-2011, 05:03 PM
We have a total of five authors currently signed to the house and its imprints, and are quite happy with this number at the moment.

Bold is mine.

Welcome to AW.

You indicate on your website (http://www.glasshousepress.com/) you acquired Alacan in 2009. It published one book (http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_adv_b/?search-alias=stripbooks&unfiltered=1&field-keywords=&field-author=&field-title=&field-isbn=&field-publisher=Alacan+Publishing&node=&field-p_n_condition-type=&field-feature_browse-bin=&field-binding_browse-bin=&field-subject=&field-language=&field-dateop=&field-datemod=&field-dateyear=&sort=relevanceexprank&Adv-Srch-Books-Submit.x=10&Adv-Srch-Books-Submit.y=16) in 2004 (five years before you acquired it). Is this your only imprint?

~brianm~

brianm
07-31-2011, 05:21 PM
I have to admit some confusion as to the tenor of your questions. You're coming off as quite aggressive, for no reason that I can see.

Priceless explained her reasons here.

I'm not trying to be as urky as I may sound - I'm asking these questions because it's important for authors to feel confident that you can sell a lot of books and understand why your company is a logical choice for them.

~brianm~

carriesue11
07-31-2011, 06:18 PM
We have two imprints, but have not released a book from the second yet. Alacan was the first imprint we purchased.

carriesue11
07-31-2011, 07:23 PM
I have no idea how either of those questions could seem remotely aggressive, even by the most sensitive reader. Anyway, if you're not sure of the tenor of the comments, isn't it better to give people the benefit of the doubt and assume they have sincere motives?

katrina -- to a publisher, every question can seem aggressive. i'm sure as authors you guys know that this is a nasty business. it's just as nasty for us publishing types.

apologies, though -- i see now that this is a "warnings and backgrounds" type of thread, which goes a long way to explain the posts. carry on, i'll answer where and when i can.

also (off topic), your sig block cracks me up.

priceless1
07-31-2011, 07:51 PM
We deal with authors we actively recruit, and those authors come from agents and our submissions, rather than public forums.
That's how most publishers work. My point is that if you have new authors, where are they on your site? Whenever I sign a new author, I get their author page up and their book up on our frontlist page. I do this so book buyers can see that we have an active front list - and to advertise our new authors.

If you have five new authors, you seem to be keeping them a secret. The fact that you don't appear to have an active frontlist in all your years in business could be offputting to authors looking to query you.

It's curious that you don't list your retail price and ISBN on your one book. This forces buyers to click on the links. That will irritate a bookstore looking at your page intent on ordering your book.

I'm sure you can understand that I'm not going to answer financial questions about the company, regardless of your motives for asking.
I'm not asking for financials, but I (and any author) will wonder how you maintain a staff if you only have one books with tepid sales. This isn't being nosy, but being smart. Authors want/need assurance their publisher is going to be around for the length of their book's life. We've all seen many publishers turn belly up, leaving the author's book tied up in bankruptcy court.

Aggressive? You've never seen me aggressive. My questions are logical and in the interest of authors who are looking for a solid company to query. If you find my questions "aggressive," then you need to toughen up because savvy, knowledgeable authors aren't going to turn their books over to you without being satisfied you have what it takes to sell their books.

In regard to Jerry Maquire, if that's the only line you remember I would honestly recommend watching the film again.
That's a 1.5 hour long movie, and there are numerous "messages," so if you're going to say that you're the Jerry McGuire of the publishing industry, then you need to be more specific. Not everyone is wearing their tinfoil hat and instantly realizes what you're referencing.

Better yet, simply come out and say that you're about "personal attention and building a personal relationship with your client. Our authors become our friends, and are invited into our personal circles. That's part of our mission statement, and one of the things that sets us apart from other publishers," which, I might add does NOT set you apart from other publishers. And in the end, it's not about being fuzzy warm, but the ability to distribute and sell a quality product that will fall into the hands of a lot of readers. I've known plenty publishers who were nice and couldn't sell a single book. Nice is as nice does.

And I'm sorry if I sound aggressive, but you haven't given me any information that convinces me you have an active frontlist or are selling lots of books.

priceless1
07-31-2011, 07:56 PM
katrina -- to a publisher, every question can seem aggressive. i'm sure as authors you guys know that this is a nasty business. it's just as nasty for us publishing types.
I beg to disagree. No question should be viewed as an attack, but simply smart people asking logical questions. I've been doing this for awhile now, and I wouldn't characterize this as a nasty business. A tough business, yes - but tell me what business isn't tough?

I find it more telling that you perceive my line of questioning as nasty.

carriesue11
07-31-2011, 08:07 PM
That's how most publishers work. My point is that if you have new authors, where are they on your site?

We do not advertise our authors until we're finished with the editing process. New authors, etc, appear when they're about 6 to 8 months from dropping their new title.

Whenever I sign a new author, I get their author page up and their book up on our frontlist page. I do this so book buyers can see that we have an active front list - and to advertise our new authors.

Congratulations. I'm sure you know that publishers work in different ways. What works for you is not necessarily what works for us.

If you have five new authors, you seem to be keeping them a secret. The fact that you don't appear to have an active frontlist in all your years in business could be offputting to authors looking to query you.

We receive around 20 queries a day. As I said, we don't put our authors under pressure to do publicity or websites until we're through the editing phase. When we're done editing and they have their mental resources available for other tasks, we move forward.

It's curious that you don't list your retail price and ISBN on your one book. This forces buyers to click on the links. That will irritate a bookstore looking at your page intent on ordering your book.

That book is no longer in publication, hence the lack thereof. It is on our backlist, and no longer available.

I'm not asking for financials, but I (and any author) will wonder how you maintain a staff if you only have one books with tepid sales. This isn't being nosy, but being smart. Authors want/need assurance their publisher is going to be around for the length of their book's life. We've all seen many publishers turn belly up, leaving the author's book tied up in bankruptcy court.

This is something we discuss with authors that we actually sign. We've never had a problem, and none of our authors have any reason for concern. I find it amusing that you refer to tepid sales, as we actually sold around 5,000 copies of Gauntlet in a four-month period. I would hardly call that tepid.

And I'm sorry if I sound aggressive, but you haven't given me any information that convinces me you have an active frontlist or are selling lots of books.

No need to apologize. As I said earlier, I hadn't realized the direction of this thread, and so wasn't reacting appropriately. Publishing is a difficult industry, so my first reaction is generally defensive. In regard to your last question, the reason you don't see an active front list on the Glass House site is b/c Alacan is the imprint with the actives at the moment. Glass House will become "active" again in the coming year, when we release the new authors we've acquired over the last year. I'm not going to discuss the relative pros and cons of the movie Jerry Maguire. I think we'd bore everyone to death. lol.

priceless1
07-31-2011, 08:37 PM
We do not advertise our authors until we're finished with the editing process. New authors, etc, appear when they're about 6 to 8 months from dropping their new title.
My point is that advertising your authors brings attention to them. I've had reviewers, journalists and media types look over our website and see a new book is coming out, and asked me to put them on my ARC list with the intent of doing a review, interview, or event. So much of what they do needs to be scheduled months in advance, so they appreciated knowing they had plenty of time. This is a game of publicity, so I don't see the advantage to not putting your authors on your frontlist when you first sign them.

You mentioned that you have a number of authors that are coming up, yet they're not on your site yet. Does this mean they're longer than eight months from being published?

Congratulations. I'm sure you know that publishers work in different ways. What works for you is not necessarily what works for us. Sure, all of us work differently, but when it comes to promoting authors, you'll find that most of us are on the same page. I don't understand the "doesn't work for us." How is it a bad thing to publicize an upcoming book? I've had media contact me on a book that wasn't going to be released for months asking for an immediate interview that they would then schedule to print about the time of the book's release. I can't imagine your authors wouldn't appreciate that.

We receive around 20 queries a day. As I said, we don't put our authors under pressure to do publicity or websites until we're through the editing phase. When we're done editing and they have their mental resources available for other tasks, we move forward.I've found that's not enough time. It takes a long time to get the promotion machine running, and the more time you allow, the bigger your author's footprint.

That book is no longer in publication, hence the lack thereof. It is on our backlist, and no longer available.Perhaps you should take it down from your catalogue if it's OP. You should also alert Amazon because the book appears to be active (http://www.amazon.com/Gauntlet-International-Intrigue-Richard-Aaron/dp/098167688X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312129401&sr=8-1). And if this title is OP, then I still get back to the need for your marketing staff. What are they marketing and promoting?

This is something we discuss with authors that we actually sign. We've never had a problem, and none of our authors have any reason for concern.That's great, but I'm thinking about the authors who are looking at you to query. You're not forthcoming with information about how you promote, market, and sell your books. You mention your staff, yet I don't see them on your website. It's this kind of transparency that helps authors make informed decisions.

I find it amusing that you refer to tepid sales, as we actually sold around 5,000 copies of Gauntlet in a four-month period. I would hardly call that tepid.That's great. I looked on Bookscan, and they only show sales in the high three digits. I know Bookscan isn't exact by any means because it doesn't allow for library sales, online sales, and stores that don't report sales figures to them - but they are representative.

For example, Bookscan shows sales of one of our books at ~10k, but in reality, we've sold more like 15k, but the 10k number is representative. When a book shows a big demand, all the bookstores rush to jump in on the act - and that affects the Bookscan numbers.

In regard to your last question, the reason you don't see an active front list on the Glass House site is b/c Alacan is the imprint with the actives at the moment. But as BrianM said:

You indicate on your website (http://www.glasshousepress.com/) you acquired Alacan in 2009. It published one book (http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_adv_b/?search-alias=stripbooks&unfiltered=1&field-keywords=&field-author=&field-title=&field-isbn=&field-publisher=Alacan+Publishing&node=&field-p_n_condition-type=&field-feature_browse-bin=&field-binding_browse-bin=&field-subject=&field-language=&field-dateop=&field-datemod=&field-dateyear=&sort=relevanceexprank&Adv-Srch-Books-Submit.x=10&Adv-Srch-Books-Submit.y=16) in 2004 (five years before you acquired it). Is this your only imprint?So I don't see where you're active anywhere. Really, if you're an active publisher, it shouldn't be this hard to find your titles. It's just not logical.

I'm not going to discuss the relative pros and cons of the movie Jerry Maguire. I think we'd bore everyone to death. lol.I agree with you there, but I mentioned it because your Jerry McGuire reference aren't really selling points because maintaining good relationships where everyone is friendly friendly doesn't sell books. You should be bragging about your ability to market, promote, and sell books. Just sayin'...

victoriastrauss
08-01-2011, 04:37 AM
Carrie, can you comment on the issue of fees? In 2009, I received a couple of author reports--one from an author who was asked to commit contractually to spending a "base cost" of $500 for a "designated publicist"; and one from an author who was told that Glass House usually asks its authors for a flat fee for editing.

Thank you.

- Victoria

carriesue11
08-04-2011, 06:41 AM
Carrie, can you comment on the issue of fees? In 2009, I received a couple of author reports--one from an author who was asked to commit contractually to spending a "base cost" of $500 for a "designated publicist"; and one from an author who was told that Glass House usually asks its authors for a flat fee for editing.

Thank you.

- Victoria

Thanks for the question Victoria. Glass House is a traditional publisher and doesn't charge authors anything. We pay our authors, not vice versa. =)

victoriastrauss
08-04-2011, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the question Victoria. Glass House is a traditional publisher and doesn't charge authors anything. We pay our authors, not vice versa. =)
I'm glad to know that you're no longer asking authors to pay for editing, and have discontinued your policy of requiring authors to invest a minimum amount of money in publicity. (I've seen Glass House contracts and emails that document these charges, so I'm not relying on hearsay.)

- Victoria

CaoPaux
01-05-2012, 05:43 AM
Is promoting three pending releases, now; two for Jan '13, and one TBD. The link to Alacan given on the home page as http://www.alacanpublishing.com/ redirects to comicmnemonics.com, which is dead. There is one book listed on Amazon for Alacan (pubbed Nov '11, and listed under Glass House for the Kindle edition), which is currently ranked 187k for the pb and 119k for the ebook.

triceretops
04-26-2012, 04:54 AM
I never received a reply on a partial I sent to them back in 2009. At that time, they asked for a marketing plan. I just made a new submission to them, and I'll wait to see what happens. They might be a non-responder when it comes to rejections.

tri

authorMAF
01-07-2016, 06:46 AM
any news about this publishing press? They're participating in #Pit2Pub and was curious if anyone's signed on and worked with them recently?

tiakall
01-07-2016, 05:42 PM
Their "frontlist" has four books available on amazon, but they're all for preorders (the first doesn't come out until May.) Their backlist has 3 (still available) that came out in 2014 and one in 2013, the best of which has a ranking in the 300k range (the worst of which has a 1.8mil ranking). No releases in 2015 that I see offhand, although they were supposed to release two anthologies in 2015 according to their website. (Actually, this book (http://www.amazon.com/Brave-New-Girls-Tales-Gadgets-ebook/dp/B00Z1YV1KI/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1452174022&sr=1-1) might be the Warrior Girls they talk about on their website, although the concepts don't sound exactly the same, so maybe their website is just out of date.)

BlueLobster
12-19-2016, 05:59 AM
Got a request from them in #Pit2Pub. They requested 25 pages and a marketing plan. While they liked my marketing plan, my book was too similar to another they'd recently signed (this was back in Feb). Carrie sent a good amount of feedback, and while her bet that the particular book would be contracted quickly hasn't yet come true, it was a professional and encouraging experience overall.

Anyway, just thought I post my experience in case it helps.