Need advice. Does anyone have experience with this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AustinCBrown

Registered
Reaction score
Website
walkingwiththemailman.com
I've written a humorous account of my daily affairs as a mailman, and now I'm looking to move forward with publishing the book.

As a marketing strategy, and something that is good, I would like to give 25% of the proceeds to the "National Marrow Donation Program." This organization is in some way connected to the USPS (They push donations for it on their website). Having that as a prop, it would be good for them and get my work mentioned.

So here's my question. Should I contact National Marrow first about this proposal? Or what? If I contact them, but then cannot get a publisher, then what? That's embarassing, to say the least.

What's normal procedure? Pitch it to a publisher first and then hope that Marrow will go for it?

One more question: Suppose I POD the book. Would using Marrow as a marketing tool be frowned upon under those circumstances? Would they more than likely not be interested in a POD?

Just brainstorming.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Austin

C.F. Jackson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.WebsiteMakeoverWorkshop.com
Congratulations Austin!

You're really doing well due to the
fact you've established a connection
with a large organization who is likley
to help you spread the word about
your book.

I've learned that most non-profit
organizations aren't caught up in the
whole POD/Traditional publishing. Their
main goal is to help and get the message
out about their cause.

You'll receive many answers to your
question, but the place to ask the question
is the actual organization. You'd probably
be amazed... they may offer to help you get
the book published... I've seen where an
author got her book actually published
via a non-profit.

Whichever way, you have a great mission
and positive vision.

Won't Be Denied,
C.F. Jackson

AustinCBrown

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks C.F. jackson

I'm happy to hear that the idea isn't dead in the water, and in fact, that it might be the way to go.

Anyone else have thoughts? Is there a big "no no" to watch out for? Or is there a "Hey, don't forget this!" aspect that I may overlook?

Thanks,
Austin

flashgordon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bauuinstitute.com
You can contact the organization, and they might have a connection with a publisher. Many publishers are more willing to pick up a title if there is a built in marketing plan (via the non-profit). However, others may want you to first have the non-profit lined up.

I would contact the non-profit first and see what they say. If they get on board, I think your chances of getting a publisher are much, much higher. Also, is there any way that the USPS might be interested? At least in having it in their "stores"? That would be very attractive to a publisher as well.

AustinCBrown

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Flashgordon

Thanks for the advice. I think I will contact them before appealing to a publisher.

As far as utilizing the USPS "store," that would be increadible, to say the least, but I seriously doubt it would happen... unless, the idea is to help the Marrow organization. But even then, I think promoting my book would be frowned upon. It would set precident, etc. I doubt they want to open that door.

And actually, I'm a little concerned about the fact that I would be an active employee making money via the USPS name. I'm wondering if that is even legal?

I suppose the steps are this:

1. Contact the charity.
2. Try to get the USPS to promote the book (especially if the charity jumps on it).
3. Contact a publisher.

C.F. Jackson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.WebsiteMakeoverWorkshop.com
Do it while the iron is hot!

Austin,

Should the non-profit decide to
help you promote the book, how
about becoming your own publisher?

Time is of essence and when they
say YES, you'd want to leverage that
opportunity tomorrow and not wait
too long for the process to getting
published by traditional means.

Do it while the iron is hot!

You're Fired Up! Best time to make
the extraodinary happen.

Continue to make it happen!@

Won't Be Denied,
CF-

AustinCBrown

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Re

Should the non-profit decide to
help you promote the book, how

about becoming your own publisher?

- - - - -

I'm seriously thinking about that. I'm no too familiar with the process, so I need to think more about who and how. But yes, that might be the better way to go.

Thanks again.

Austin

escritora

Registered
Reaction score
IMO, a non-profit would shy away from promoting a self-published book.

I'd approach the non-profit to see if the organization is interested in participating in the promotion efforts. Then I'd reach out to commericial publishers.

On a side note, I wonder what the reaction of USPS would be if the book was published. Would the higher ups find the book humorous?

KikiteNeko

Registered
Reaction score
I'm thinking that contacting an organization about proceeds you aren't guaranteed to receive is a bad idea. I'd wait until you got a publisher.

PS: My dad worked for USPS and also a limousine company. A real people person. He had some stories..

escritora

Registered
Reaction score
I've worked in the non-profit sector in the past. We were always approached with fundraising ideas. Some of the ideas panned out, others didn't. It's the nature of fundraising efforts.

AustinCBrown

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Re:

Thanks escritora and tomothecat... even though both of you have conflicting advice :)

However, I can't help but wonder if a phone call or a letter wouldn't be better than waiting until I (maybe) land a publisher. If I can tell a publisher that I have a viable medium for press, then that goes a long way in getting picked up.

Escritora: Would the higher ups in the USPS find my book humorous? Ha. Good question. I've thought that many times. And I think so. Fellow employees have really enjoyed it (test group). Next, I'm thinking about letting my postmaster read it. If he thinks its good, then I plan on sending it to the big man himself, The Postmaster General. Why not, right? If I could land an endorsement, even just a little blurb, then ye-haw. If not, oh well.

But again, would the Postmaster General laugh? Yes. Do I slam the USPS? No. I was careful to speak respectfully of the organization. And honestly, that's easy to do. Overall, it's a good place to work. But I do make fun of every particular- management, postal union, employees, me, dogs, patrons, McDonalds, little old ladies attacking me with their walkers because they didn't receive their first of the month checks, you name it. Anyone and everyone gets made fun of (to differing degrees). But the tone is charitable. In other words, I'm not quite as sarcastic as, say, Bill Bryson.

Cheers,

Austin

Status
Not open for further replies.