What to see? What to see?

What fillum should I see this evening?

• Total voters
Reaction score
It's been aaaaages since I started a pointless poll in Office Party, so here goes. (Might do just as well in Movies/TV but this is my spiritual home and given who's starting this thread, I don't expect it to stay on topic at all. Be warned).

After my last few visits to the Odeon with other people (never again!), I want to cleanse my cinematic palette by going with my favourite person - me. I've bought the munchies, taken the price of a ticket out of the ATM and come 8pm, I'll be good to go.

Except...I can't decide what to see. So I'll let yous guys decide for me.

Samantha's_Song

At least I don't need backing-up
Registered
Reaction score
I don't like Tom Cruise, but it'd definitely be Valkyrie for me.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Isn't Fantasia showing anywhere? :D I'd have to go with the two guys talking over a failed plot to kill Hitler. I think they gave too much away in the trailers when they said it was about a plot to kill Hitler. Anybody who knows anything about WW II knows how that movie turns out.

Reaction score
Heh. Anyone I know who talks about Valkyrie feels the need to add, "...even though that sofa-jumping nutjob's in it."

(Yes, thethinker42 really did say that).

StevenJ

Bored Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.salvatorepublishing.com
Gah, go see Frost/Nixon, chief.
As for Valkyrie...
Pro: It might be interesting to watch Tom Cruise's latest attempt to become an actor.

Con: There's no point in posting 'spoilers' 'cos everyone knows how the film turns out at the end.

GirlWithPoisonPen

Mata Hari
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen Valkyrie. It's a very well crafted movie, but Tom Cruise cannot hold his own against Britain and Germany's finest actors, who surround him. Bill Nighy is spectacular.

Rachel

Stuff and nonsense.
Registered
Reaction score
Frost/Nixon
Here's some popcorn.

:popcorn:

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
0003afyp

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
i havent seen valkyrie but i've seen bits of it. Tom Cruise kinda stands out with that accent, which is a horrible thing to say cause lets face it, technically they should be speaking german and when did it become standard that any nazi in an english film should have an posh english accent, but there you go.

Frost/Nixon is rivetting. It pulls you in from the beginning and has you sitting on the edge of your seat, wondering who's gonna get in the next jab. When will Frost step up? What's Nixon gonna say next. Plus you'll have the pleasure of seeing two incredible performances. Truly amazing acting. Everyone's going on about Langella, but Sheen does a fantastic job of portraying Frost's journey from being completely manipulated by "tricky dick" to going toe to toe with him. I held my breath the whole movie. figuratively speaking. Well worth the money.

Reaction score
Funnily enough, I saw an interview with Sheen on YouTube where he talked about one part of the movie where he held his breath for over a minute, he felt so tense. And someone saw the movie and told him they'd done exactly the same thing, at exactly the same moment, as they were watching it, which he took as a compliment. He'd obviously done something right.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen Valkyrie and it's decent.

Honalo

Registered
Reaction score
i havent seen valkyrie but i've seen bits of it. Tom Cruise kinda stands out with that accent, which is a horrible thing to say cause lets face it, technically they should be speaking german and when did it become standard that any nazi in an english film should have an posh english accent, but there you go.

You know, it's funny, lack of the accent was exactly what turned me off to the prospect of seeing Valkyrie. Cruise adapted an Irish accent for that horrid Far and Away - I wonder why he couldn't do the German for Valkyrie? It makes him stand out ... well... like an American.

Honalo

Registered
Reaction score
BTW: I'd go for Revolutionary Road ... but then I heard bad reviews on it. Leo DiCaprio fan - Kate Winslet for that matter, but DiCaprio has really grown from Titanic into a brilliant actor.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I heard Valkyrie is very good despite Tom Cruise and knowing the ending. :)

No input on Frost/Nixon...most people I know wouldn't see it. I think it looks boring...but I could be wrong.

Reaction score
BTW: I'd go for Revolutionary Road ... but then I heard bad reviews on it. Leo DiCaprio fan - Kate Winslet for that matter, but DiCaprio has really grown from Titanic into a brilliant actor.

That hasn't opened here yet, being as I am in the arse end of nowhere. (Scotland).

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Saw Valkyrie. Intense.

Didn't see the other one.

I want to see Doubt. Haven't had the chance though. Probably have to wait for it to come out on video now.

Reaction score
Just about to leave - looks like I'll be seeing Frost/Nixon.

Thanks for helping me decide, peepholes. I'll try not to laugh too loud at the 70s hair-don'ts. :D