What the snow?!?

IReidandWrite

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone want to tell me why every other school/business in the county is closed but the two universities?

Thanks. Bye.

(Right now I'm gonna bet it's 'cos WE don't have an acting president :p )

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
Because most colleges DON'T close unless the snow is completely and totally ridiculously terrible outside?

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, it's horrible.

They closed it for less last year, I remember.

I wish I went to your school when I was in college.

I think they had closed schools like twice in the five years before I went there. Never closed it when I went, and I was there when 9/11 happened. Nobody even talked about it either. It was so frikin weird.

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
That's because the person that makes the decision is from Wisconsin or some crap, Nacho. And it's rare for UE to close as well.

And this isn't really snow. What is we have out there is more like an accumulation of ice pellets. It's dry and you can sort of sweep it, but it's not really snow. Way to crunchy for it to be snow.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
That's because the person that makes the decision is from Wisconsin or some crap, Nacho.
Hey! I resemble that remark!

It's because they figure you're all adults and you're somewhat responsible and are actually trying to get an education and not looking for every opportunity to blow off classes.

LadyVonFright

Registered
Reaction score
I wish that whenever it would snow my place of employment would shut down....*dreams*

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Hey! I resemble that remark!

It's because they figure you're all adults and you're somewhat responsible and are actually trying to get an education and not looking for every opportunity to blow off classes.

I know. That was half the fun of saying it. :tongue

But she's not kidding that everything else under the sun is closed. Even all the community colleges in the tri-state area are closed, yet the two standard universities remain open. Doctor offices, libraries, all sorts of places. Many manufacturing facilities are closed for production. I wouldn't go out if I didn't have to, and I certainly wouldn't for classes. I didn't, in fact, when I attended that university. I just emailed my professors and let them know.

IReidandWrite

Registered
Reaction score
Well, hopefully tomorrow I get lucky.

So tonight I'm going to pick out a selection of Disney movies to watch. It's my snow day tradition. :)

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
The university I graudated from not too long ago started to close more than it used to because there are way, way, way, more commuters than in decades past. Used to be that the majority of students lived on campus or near to it. Now, at least at the college I went to, the majority of students did NOT live within a few miles of campus. Thus, they revised the criteria for closing school.

But sometimes, you get some questionable closing choices. I'd say not having a pres could result in decision-paralysis-- no one wants to be responsible for the decision.

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
The problem when I was in college was that even though about half the students lived on campus, the remaining half commuted. Plus, on any given snow day, most of the professors wouldn't make it in, either.

But I remember one time back in seventh grade when the district decided not to send us home early when a snowstorm was predicted to start by noon. Well, it did, and the roads were so catastrophic that each successive bus run was later and later and later. At first they made us all stay in our last-period classes (the middle school was the last one to dismiss,) but then they herded us into the cafeteria and made us sit silently, finally starting to dismiss a few at a time as some of the buses began to turn up. Ours didn't make it there until close to seven PM - and we were supposed to dismiss at three-thirty. It was quarter to nine before I got home that night. You could imagine all the furious and worried parents...

I'd like to say they learned their lesson, but they haven't to this day. Last winter the same scenario happened and, sure enough, no early dismissal. Luckily the latest bus was only about an hour late this time...

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
How it looked at our house this morning:

These first two are from the back porch. You will notice that the ice and snow reach level with the bottom step, which doesn't happen that often.

100_0258_1.jpg

100_0260_1.jpg

These two are basically the same shot, one before daylight and one after sunrise. Those tree branches are touching the ground and they usually require that I jump to reach them.

100_0261_1.jpg

100_0263_1.jpg

These two have been playing in the snow together.

100_0268_1.jpg