RAPID FIRE~May, 22 (day shift)

Albedo of Zero

That didn't hurt
Registered
Reaction score
RAPID FIRE!
emoticonguns2.gif

You have 5 minutes to write a poem on the following topic and post it in this thread. When 5 minutes are up, everyone who participated and those who observed may comment on content of the poems.

These poems don't necessarily need the topic name in the poem proper so long as it is infered by your way of thinking.
Remember, craft is not as important in this speed game as the ideas or moods explored.

Topic: Sunday dinner

Albedo of Zero

That didn't hurt
Registered
Reaction score
A bandit striped washes its hands
in prayer like ritual -wet
and green the frog strikes the mayfly;
last supper -and the boy
goes home to make a coonskin cap,
as seen on tv.

Albedo of Zero

That didn't hurt
Registered
Reaction score
heck .... evidently 1pm on sunday isn't the optimum time to play this hahaha.

STOP GAME!

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
The turkey was dry
and the prayer was bleak
Potatoes were mushy
everything covered with leek
Why should I care
if I eat while I speak?
My brothers were morons
and my father a geek
The worst thing that happened
was when my pants started to peak
When Lucy walked in
in her tight dress, so sleek
I'd spoken to her once
last Christmas week
Oh Lord have percy
my mother's not so meek
When she stared daggers at me
that was when I went weak
So I excused myself
to go take a leak
I guess I took a little too long
as I was thinking of Lucy's peaks
When I came back out
everyone failed to speak
I looked down at my pants
that was when Lucy squeaked
So I ran all the way upstairs
and let out a loud EEEEEEEEK!

rich

What if a subject popped up at anytime and the respondents swore that they completed the poem, after seeing the subject, within those five mintues? If they went over the time they could post how much time they went over--even if it amounted to days. Seldom does the construction of a poem shed light to the reader when written in five minutes.

Albedo of Zero

That didn't hurt
Registered
Reaction score
rich said:
What if a subject popped up at anytime and the respondents swore that they completed the poem, after seeing the subject, within those five mintues? If they went over the time they could post how much time they went over--even if it amounted to days. Seldom does the construction of a poem shed light to the reader when written in five minutes.

I suppose an honor system would work but my idea was more like instant gratification and immediate interaction (i was a spoiled child).

I cruise AOL poetry chats and ocassionally I'll open a room just for this game. Of course with chats the interaction is immediate and we take turns (i limit the poets to 3 minutes) then each poet tags the next poet with a topic. Every poem posted is considered a first draft and critiqued as such.

If nothing else, it has given new writers more confidence and less inhibition.

Albedo of Zero

That didn't hurt
Registered
Reaction score
maestrowork said:
EEEEEEEEK!

Did I read somewhere in these thread where you said you weren't a poet?
This was a poem and a very entertaining one at that. Rhythm, humor and theme complete.
:roll:

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think what makes this Rapid Fire thread interesting to me, is that it is totally stream of consciousness. You read the prompt, watch a gazillion (or none) images flash by, you look at your clock and say, 'oh, oh...'; you grab one and go with it. >DING< Times up. Whattaya got? Something? Nothing? Part of something? I like to see those images flash by - click, click, click - {grab} Extemporaneous to the nth.

rich

Truly

Albedo of Zero said:
I suppose an honor system would work but my idea was more like instant gratification and immediate interaction (i was a spoiled child).

I cruise AOL poetry chats and ocassionally I'll open a room just for this game. Of course with chats the interaction is immediate and we take turns (i limit the poets to 3 minutes) then each poet tags the next poet with a topic. Every poem posted is considered a first draft and critiqued as such.

If nothing else, it has given new writers more confidence and less inhibition.

Yeah, but I think there are too many "poets" on this orb, and the ones with little confidence and inhibitions should rethink their calling. I don't think writers are feathers encouraged by fair winds, but more like rocks anchoring themselves against all winds. Just my take.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I wrote that poem in 5 minutes. Granted, it wasn't perfect, but if I could do it, others could do it, too. I really don't agree with "seldom does the construction of a poem shed light to the reader when written in five minutes."

mommie4a

Mother of All Addictions
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jillmillerzimon.com
rich said:
Yeah, but I think there are too many "poets" on this orb, and the ones with little confidence and inhibitions should rethink their calling. I don't think writers are feathers encouraged by fair winds, but more like rocks anchoring themselves against all winds. Just my take.

But Rich, wouldn't you say that an anchored rock starts to change appearance, even shape, as nature affects it? Maybe even making it into something no longer recognizable as a rock (i.e., a nonfiction magazine writer becomes a poet)?

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Was I Wrong?

When Albedo first brought up the subject of Rapid Fire, I thought it was for the participants to 'explore their inner workings' so to speak. Yes, of course, any member of the viewing public can see the finished 'product' - but it was my impression that the "poems" (I use the word loosely, here) were for us to use to examine our own thought processes - linear, abstract, rhyme, metre, etc. and to open for discussion amongst ourselves, our strengths & weaknesses and directions we might take with our 'work'. That our critiques of one another could open avenues of creative thought we might not have noticed or chosen without encouragement. Was I wrong? Was the game to fulfill another purpose? Clue me in - I don't want to play with the wrong intent. I thought it was about word play:gone:

mommie4a

Mother of All Addictions
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jillmillerzimon.com
Albedo - if you're trying to be polite or think of way to say this politely, let me say it for you - are you trying to say that you would prefer that only folks who write poetry because...they write poetry (as opposed to working in any other genre) should participate? I'm a little sad if that's the case only because I'm enjoying the general availability on this board to try lots of different things.

HOWEVER, I would never want to corrupt something which someone else really would prefer to keep for a different breed of writer. I would never take it personally.

Would you like to state a preference for your target audience/participants, that way there will be no posts that waste space or time for you and those who wish to participate within your prefered guidelines?

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can't speak for Albedo, but that isn't the impression I got when he first asked if anyone were interested. I haven't figured out all that 'hyperlink' stuff yet, but I went back to see. He posted a question originally....would anyone be interested.....a few of us said, 'sure, let's try it' - and so it goes. If this thread were only for 'published' 'professional' poets - then let me outta here - cuz I ain't one. Just my dollar $2.98+ tax....RAPID FIRE -THE GAME
Thursday, May 19 at 1: pm is the time for the first RAPID FIRE. All you need to do is read this post at that time and follow the directions.

At exactly 1pm EST. I will post in a dated thread, the topic to write on. Then you have 5 minutes to write and post your poems in that thread. Have fun!

The idea is improvisation... off the top. Craft isn't as important in this game as the ideas or moods explored.

At the end of the full 5 minutes, I will post a STOP GAME! No posting for the game afterwards. Then all who participated can read and comment on everyone's poems.

I'm trying this short time so as not to take a big chunk out of your day. Reading and commenting will take some time.

One other thing... if anyone would like to give the topic tonight at 10pm est., or on the Sunday times, let me know and I'll list them. Thank you!

Reactions: Albedo of Zero

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can't speak for Albedo, but that isn't the impression I got when he first asked if anyone were interested. I haven't figured out all that 'hyperlink' stuff yet, but I went back to see. He posted a question originally....would anyone be interested.....a few of us said, 'sure, let's try it' - and so it goes. If this thread were only for 'published' 'professional' poets - then let me outta here - cuz I ain't one. Just my dollar $2.98+ tax.... "RAPID FIRE -THE GAME
Thursday, May 19 at 1: pm is the time for the first RAPID FIRE. All you need to do is read this post at that time and follow the directions.

At exactly 1pm EST. I will post in a dated thread, the topic to write on. Then you have 5 minutes to write and post your poems in that thread. Have fun!

The idea is improvisation... off the top. Craft isn't as important in this game as the ideas or moods explored.

At the end of the full 5 minutes, I will post a STOP GAME! No posting for the game afterwards. Then all who participated can read and comment on everyone's poems.

I'm trying this short time so as not to take a big chunk out of your day. Reading and commenting will take some time.

One other thing... if anyone would like to give the topic tonight at 10pm est., or on the Sunday times, let me know and I'll list them. Thank you!"

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Lawd, Lawd, computers do make me (crazier than I already am) What kind of business, eh?

rich

Yeah, I've done that more times than I like to remember. Luckily, I'm old, and remembering doesn't have to be as edgy as it was.

Albedo of Zero

That didn't hurt
Registered
Reaction score
Unique said:
I can't speak for Albedo, but that isn't the impression I got when he first asked if anyone were interested.

ima girl

and i have no preference as to who plays... this game is also perfect for writers of any type, genre, style... it opens the mind (i hope outta the box)