Can someone explain this animal behavior to me? (A turtle chasing two cats.)

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
The following YouTube video is perfectly clean (safe for work) and only 2:16.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4jbyohJ0qk

I am dumbstruck at the behavior of the turtle, and also at the behavior of the two cats.

1) Why was the turtle chasing after either one of those two cats?
-- Was he lonely?
-- Was he imprinting on the cats?
-- Was he actually AFTER the acts in an act of aggression?
-- Did he think he could EAT either one of those two cats?
-- Was he coked out of his mind on drugs fed to him by his sadistic owner?
-- Did the owner spray the cats with some hormonal animal smell that made the turtle chase after them? (Such as either a sex-drive hormone or a predator-enciting hormone?)
-- Was it a female turtle trying to protect its young? (If this is the case, why did neither cat seem like they were in "stalker/hunter" mode, and where were the babies?)

2) Why were the cats so unaggresive?
-- Were the cats "freinds" with the turtle? (Pets who all shared the same human household?)
-- Were the cats afraid to truly bite the turtle? (Afraid of WHAT?)
-- Were the cats both declawed and therefore incapable of fighting the turtle?

3) Why did the cats each try multiple times to ignore the turtle and to continue to just lounge in the sunshine rather than either rip into the creature, or else flee with frightened cat yelps? Neither cat seemed terribly territorial toward the turtle and simply wanted to ignore him. The cats regarded him as a bizare and disturbing nuisance more than anything else -- like the cats were Hollywood celebrities whow ere hyper-conscious of the press while trying to maintain their composure in the face of an insanely-agressive fan.

Can ANYONE offer any theories as to what is going on here?

Last edited:

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I am guessing the turtle is male and pumped on testosterone and guarding it's territory.

I'm also guessing the cats think playing it kewl will get the turtle to back off. Ever see a cat licking its paw while a doberman threatened to kill it? I have. This wasn't the same, but a possible theory.

I *know* the owner is a moron and that the turtle will eventually get an infection and die. Turtles can often die slow painful deaths, so it blows to be the turtle. That one cat chomped its head at one point. I'm guessing the idiot owner didn't check for even a minor puncture wound.

Gr.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
the cats owe the turtle money.

you don't rip a turtle off. they will cut you.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Both cats look like they're playing. It's what mine do with any toy ... play around, then walk off, slomp down, play some more. And yes, slomp is a word.

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
I am guessing the turtle is male and pumped on testosterone and guarding it's territory.

But the cats seem so at ease, as if this is their normal kitty stomping ground.

I *know* the owner is a moron and that the turtle will eventually get an infection and die. Turtles can often die slow painful deaths, so it blows to be the turtle. That one cat chomped its head at one point. I'm guessing the idiot owner didn't check for even a minor puncture wound.

Gr.

That's seriously messed up of the turtle owner.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm still guessing testosterone. At one point it went to the camera with mouth open. That's turtle for 'I'm gonna bite you' ofc. I also think I heard hissing. Not sure tho.

Regardless, clearly a pet turtle as one raised in normal circumstances wouldn't do this.

Beach Bunny

The Provocative One
Registered
Reaction score
It looks like the tortoise is trying to chase the cats out of it's territory while the cats are playing with the tortoise. The cats could kill the tortoise if they wanted to, though it would be difficult for them. Also look at the tortoise's mouth. He bit one of the cats and it hurt. They aren't going to mess with him too much, but he doesn't know that. All he knows is bigger than me furry carnivore get it to leave so it doesn't eat me and possibly any other tortoises that are around.