What does one get out of membership in a writer's guild?

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
I was invited this morning to join the Knoxville Writer's Guild, but I don't really know what that means. I know they have workshops and things like that, but otherwise I'm curious. Does anyone else belong to a writer's guild?

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
There is a membership fee. It's small--like $10 a year. But they host writing contests, have workshops, guest speakers and all sorts of other things. I'm really kinda psyched about it. It's a local thing, so I could network with other local writers, I am assuming.

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
I recommend you ask the members specifically what they get out of it. Each group is different. I hope you give it a shot. Could be a great help and a lot of fun.

Ever been a member of a writers' group before? I don't belong to a writers guild, but I belong to a writers group. Of course, we call it "group" because in the mountains we're a lot less formal! :D For four full-time members and two part-time members, we get a lot out of it. We have a collaborative book going, critique each others' work (in fact, they're editing my novel right now) and have flash fiction exercises. Worth it? You bet. One lady in her 70s lives in a cabin with no commercial power and no running water. She considered moving for her first winter in thirty years to town, but she's here because she loves the group so much!

Good luck.

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
There is a membership fee. It's small--like $10 a year. But they host writing contests, have workshops, guest speakers and all sorts of other things. I'm really kinda psyched about it. It's a local thing, so I could network with other local writers, I am assuming.

Ohh, sounds like fun Carole! And well worthwhile.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Oh wow--I'm perusing their website right now. It looks like they have well over 100 members, many of them published.

They have an association with Amazon, a big list of contests (One of them is a novel contest, and the prize is $1,000 and publication by the University of Tennessee Press), book reviews . . . my goodness, it just goes on and on and on!

It's funny--this all happened from just a little phone call this morning to a different school than I attend. I am looking to transfer, and I also wanted to find out what kinds of creative writing classes they offer. After talking with the head of the legal studies department, I was handed over to the head of the English department who then handed me over to the head of Creative Writing. *whew!* That was real whirlwind.

Last edited:

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
Join! I've been a member of the Atlanta Writers Club for years, met a lot of great people. For $10, it's worth a try anyhow.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Join! I've been a member of the Atlanta Writers Club for years, met a lot of great people. For $10, it's worth a try anyhow.

Cool!! What sorts of things might I expect at a meeting? They only meet the first Thursday of each month, so my first meeting is still a little bit away.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
Our meetings go like this:

Network/mingle
Club business
member readings
1st speaker
break/mingle
2nd speaker

AWC has about 400 members, but a typical meeting is attended by a 100 or so, depending on the speaker.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
The two groups I was a member of (heavy on the 'was') had contests, met the first and third Saturdays of the month, and were very cliquish. I stayed for about a year, until the in-fighting ramped up to serious levels, and left.