PDA

View Full Version : UK writers using US agents?

TrixieLox
01-26-2009, 05:22 PM
Hey,

I hope you’re all well. I’m a British writer who’s just finished my first YA novel. US agent has expressed interest (from informal chats, not seen my work yet, ha ha – so ‘interest’ is a tenuous word!). Anyways, the plan was to send to UK agents but, in light of this interest, am thinking about including US agents in the mix. I mean, it’d be great to crack the US market!

Any experiences of Brit writers working with a US agent? Can US agents do just as good a job with UK market as UK agents?

Trix

qwerty
01-26-2009, 06:42 PM
I know a YA writer who lived in Liverpool but didn't have success subbing to UK agents, so tried US agents. Result was she became repped by Jenny Bent of Trident Media and got a deal with PAL.

Chanelley
01-26-2009, 06:50 PM
I'm a UK author and I'm submitting to both. I don't see much of a difference in working with a UK agent or as US agent. Only problem would be meeting face to face. But emails and telephone calls can do the trick. I'd probably go visit a few times, especially for meetings with publishers, but I can't say at the moment. I have read on agents blogs that they sometimes have international clients. It's definitely not unheard of.

waylander
01-26-2009, 07:13 PM
I can think of a good number of UK authors who have US agents.
Most of the communication is done by e-mail anyway so it really isn't much of a problem. A lot of authors don't see their agent face-to-face for years

firedrake
01-27-2009, 05:52 PM
I'm actually doing the opposite! I'm querying UK agents as well as US ones, mainly because I think my novel might do better in the UK market.

I figure, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Deccydiva
01-27-2009, 06:15 PM
That's a good point, Firedrake.
I will NOT be submitting to US agents simply because I don't see the US as my market, I don't think they will "get it" in the same way that a number of popular UK TV shows bombed over there. It's not a matter of where is "better" but where is "more appropriate" for the material. I'm actually not in the UK or US, but there's very little choice here and most will go to one or the other.

Momento Mori
01-27-2009, 08:18 PM
TrixieLoxL
Can US agents do just as good a job with UK market as UK agents?

I don't see why not - if an agent is experienced in selling in the US market, then there aren't that many differences within the UK market.

MM