First bookstore reading: Survived the launch!

Susan B

Accordion Dreams
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.blairkilpatrick.com
My official book launch was Friday. I survived! I even enjoyed it!

I was making myself a little crazy with the preparations, I now realize. Re-read Accordion Dreams over 2 days, earlier in the week. That part was smart. (To my great surprise, the book didn't seem half bad.)

Put little stickies by likely passages to read out loud. But then I had too many.

I re-read everything I had about bookstore readings. Tried to have realistic expectations. Reminded myself of all the dire stories of low turn outs, even for the famous. Here's the best one: A famous author had 3 people show. After the reading, 2 were arrested. Turned out they'd just escaped from prison.

Then, the night before, I sat down with my husband, to figure out what tunes we were going to play. (Me on accordion, him on guitar or fiddle.) Then I started fretting about how to artfully weave them in to the reading, the chatting. Then the wardrobe worries.

Then I reminded myself of probably the best advice I read: people who go to an author event don't expect a synopsis of the book, and they probably don't want to listen to you read for long stretches. This just want an experience that will give them enough of a feel for you, for your book, that they will come away with something. Maybe your book, maybe not, but something positive. So I figured that was do-able.

Weather was terrible that night in San Francisco, plus another big literary event was going on across town. I knew no one would come to see an unknown author with a book from a university press. My husband got lost, driving from his work to the train station where he was going to meet me. Had trouble finding the bookstore.

_______

But then it all fell into place. We got there early, found parking right in front. Found a nice restaurant 2 doors down for a light pre-dinner and a glass of wine. (This was in the Haight, no less.) The events coordinator was a sweetheart, put me at ease. A few people came early, I resolved to just chat with them, have a good time. People kept trickling in. At the end, there were around 17-18, I'd guess. (Okay, 4 were friends!) Interested, nice, attentive.

It all worked. I even liked the sound of my own words. What a shock! After, I signed 5 books. (A decent number, according to the events coordinator.) I tried hard to write my name legibly with the lovely new pen one of my kids just gave me for my birthday.

What a relief to have it over! I'm even ready to do it again :)

(Sorry this is so long. I think I had to get it out of my system!)

Susan (aka Blair)

Last edited:

HorsebackWriter

Dream at a gallop!
Registered
Reaction score
Hooray for you! : )

I'd be so nervous, too. But you had fun -- I think that's the most important part (next to your book, of course).

Congratulations to you on your book, its launch, a successful event and for doing all the hard work that led up to it.

Em

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Glad it went well, congrats

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I enjoyed reading that. Congrats :)

cate townsend

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for posting your experience. I don't know how you could have ate right before, but I saw the point in having some wine. You had a nice angle there with the live music. Congratulations on such a success!

Susan B

Accordion Dreams
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.blairkilpatrick.com
Thanks, everyone, for all the good wishes!

Yes, it definitely helps to have another "angle" that's built into the book: the music. Also really nice to have a good reason for having my husband there, aside from having to prop me up or hold my hand. He had to play along with me, so no escape for him! (Someone in the audience actually directed a question to him, which I thought was cool. The book is dedicated to him.

(Note to Cate: Unfortunately, anxiety rarely depresses my appetite :)

Last edited:

Susan B

Accordion Dreams
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.blairkilpatrick.com
One bittersweet note....

The longtime events coordinator who did such a great job was just laid off. I didn't feel free to mention this, but it is now getting talked about in the SF media, online, etc, so it is certainly out in the open.

He had been at the store 20 years, in this position for 10.
It turns out mine was the last reading he hosted. I feel sad but privileged.

So much upheaval in the world of independent bookstores--publishing in general, of course. But because everything feels so small and personal with these stores, it hits harder.