I somehow adapted to the cold

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
I have never been in any environment that was THIS cold for THIS long: two weeks straight of outdoor temperatures below 25 F, and often even plunging into the single digits with wind chills below zero.

Never in my life. This is a first.

All other instances in which I was living amid freezing temperatures, the cold never lasted longer than two or three days at most, and would then shoot back up into the low 30's again. And I was always a miserable, helpless, semi-comatose wreck for each instance of those 2 or 3 days when the temperatures would briefly dip into those arctic ranges. And then I was always thankful to the point of tears for when the temperatures returned to "normal" again back in the low-30's.

But this is the first time that the cold sustained itself at about a daytime average of 20 F perpetually for two solid weeks (and a nightime average of about 10 F). And this is also the first time that something in my body kicked in, and the result is that I have now adapted to the cold. I've never experieced that sort of acclimation before. It must be something innate which I never knew I possessed. I'd seen many other people throughout my life laugh at me and my inability to tolerate the cold. And I just assumed I was a whimp-out, never meant by God to venture into the Great White North. But it now seems that I was wrong and that I too can brave the cold, but it;s just that the programming in my own body is pre-set to need just a little but MORE time than most other people to settle into winter mode. I assumed I was destined to be a New York-Florida sbowbird. But it turns out I'd probably fair quite well in the Iditerod.

This has inspired me to want to permanently mark the calendar for a vacation in Barrow, Alaska each January for 2 straight weeks just to get the old metabolism into arctic mode each year. Then after the fires in the furnace are in full swing, I can return to New England each year and laugh at the prospect of setting the thermostat at 50 for the rest of the winter.

This has been so liberating.

brad_b

Knight Errant
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere in my mind... it echoes in here ...
Since I work outside I always try to stay acclimated to the cold. I keep my thermostat set to about 62 during the winter and don't turn the heater on in the truck unless it's to get the ice off the windows. It's healthier that way, too. Going from really warm to cold and back again is hard on the body, so might as well go with the weather. I'm glad you conquered the cold, it's a good habit to get into.

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
I hate cold more than anything else in the entire world. I never aclimate. I've lived in Michigan my entire life and I still hate winter, cold and all that come with.

Glad to hear it's worked for you.

Since I can't seem to acclimate... I'm putting in radiant in floor heating. :D That'll take care of my cold problem. It'll help just knowing that when I am at home, I will be warm and toasty.

Last edited:

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
PD I'm right downwind of you, in CT. You keep your house at 50? You crazy!

My thermostat was at 62 until I caught a bad cold, and now it's up a degree or two. That was my numbing point, where my body managed to adapt to the cold (by mid January). It does take longer as one gets older.

All I got to say is, ski trip. I'm not going to Vermont this year - I'm just way too busy - but I'll need to go to a smaller nearby resort to get my fix once or twice this year.

emc07

Foo Fighters Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ericachapman.com
I hate cold more than anything else in the entire world. I never aclimate. I've lived in Michigan my entire life and I still hate winter, cold and all that come with.

Glad to here it's worked for you.

Since I can't seem to acclimate... I'm putting in radiant in floor heating. :D That'll take care of my cold problem. It'll help just knowing that when I am at home, I will be warm and toasty.

That's a great idea.

I also live in MI and someday in the next few years I will be moving somewhere warm. Hopefully sooner than later.

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
We have a couple of weeks a year when it goes down to the low 60s and I hate that but the recent spell of high humidities and high eighties has really knocked me. I've always loved the heat but I must be getting old. I've not enjoed this spell at all.

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
We have a couple of weeks a year when it goes down to the low 60s and I hate that but the recent spell of high humidities and high eighties has really knocked me. I've always loved the heat but I must be getting old. I've not enjoed this spell at all.

I'll gladly take some of that if y'all don't want it. :)

Actually, that sounds very much like New York in summer. Which I currently am counting the minutes too.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
It hasn't been above freezing this month. And it's dipped to below zero many times.

But I'll be damned if I'll set the thermostat at 50 or even 60.

I like to be warm.

When I've gone for my walk (like today where it's in single digits) I like to come back and warm up.

Besides, I need nimble fingers to write. Anything below 62 or so and my fingers start going stiff.

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
They're saying ti might actually get above freezing here by the end of the week. However, that's after the foot of snow they're predicting for Wednesday.

To quote Gilda Radner, "It's always something..."