My first shot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirty

I'm finally taking my first real chance at writing something with the intentions of getting it published. After some thinking of what I should write, I have decided I would do something on a more comedic level... Which brings me to my biggest worry.

Let's say, in a hypothetical situation, I get this humor book published. I want to become a writer, it's not just a hobby, it's my goal, but I don't want to write humor books for the rest of my life. I'm afraid that if I publish one or two books that are meant to be silly and fun, and I try to write something else later on, nobody will take it seriously. How would a publisher look at it? I'm not 100% sure how publishers and agents work, I only know the brass tacks. Would they see that in my past I used to write things revolving around humor, and wouldn't acknowledge me when I try to write something else?

I'll just give an example of what's on my mind now for two things that I want to write. The humor book I'm currently working on is called "Pirates, Ninjas, and Robots"... I've also been contemplating writing a more serious book (Sort of one with a "Fight Club" feel to it) about the life of prostitution. I don't want to publish a silly book about pirates, ninjas, and robots, and then be looked at funny when I try to publish a book about prostitutes and it's actually meant to be dramatic, sad, and dark...

Any opinions? Is genre jumping a bad idea?

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
My opinion is that it’s premature to worry about being published in two different genres before you’ve written your first book.

DirtySyko

Registered
Reaction score
Julie Worth said:
My opinion is that it’s premature to worry about being published in two different genres before you’ve written your first book.

There's nothing wrong with thinking hypothetically and preparing for what could happen. No point in jumping into something before I know if it's a good idea or not. It's like going off to build a bridge when you don't know anything about building bridges...

I think it's perfectly fine to wonder what MIGHT happen. Do you never think ahead of yourself? You have to be cautious, or you might very well set yourself up for failure.

batyler65

Plot Monkey
Registered
Reaction score
I am currently IN a similar situation. I write a humor column for a local mag and occasionally sell humor to Family Circle. I've written a dark novel that I intend to publish under a pseudonym because my real name is tied to my humorous work.

Barb

DirtySyko

Registered
Reaction score
batyler65 said:
I am currently IN a similar situation. I write a humor column for a local mag and occasionally sell humor to Family Circle. I've written a dark novel that I intend to publish under a pseudonym because my real name is tied to my humorous work.

Barb

But what happens at book signings, or if you speak to an audience? If some guy reads your humor columns and knows your name and face, and then he reads your dark novel and shows up for a signing and finds out who you are, your cover is blown. Word of mouth spreads fast, so I don't see how a pseudonym could help much.

Unless of course you wear a mask while doing book signings haha.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
DirtySyko said:
There's nothing wrong with thinking hypothetically and preparing for what could happen. No point in jumping into something before I know if it's a good idea or not. It's like going off to build a bridge when you don't know anything about building bridges...

I think it's perfectly fine to wonder what MIGHT happen. Do you never think ahead of yourself? You have to be cautious, or you might very well set yourself up for failure.

Actually, I don't. When I write a book, I don't know what's going to happen. Just like life.

By your theory I should worry about what would happen if I won a million dollars, or if a meteorite were to strike nearby. Anything can happen, so there are an infinite number of possibilities. It's just too left brain to worry about them.

Still, it might make for an interesting character. I can see him with his huge notebooks of plans, something for every eventuality. They become his life, and he never gets anything done because of them.

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmmm.... should I wear my blue suit or my black one to my sold out booksigning tour?

And should I smile my warm, humane smile or my lop-sided dark and cynical smile when I accept my million dollar check from the publisher?

Should I hold off on getting married until after the first five bestsellers so as not to disappoint the groupies?

Life is just an unending stream of questions sometimes....

ritinrider

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
DirtySyko said:

Why do you have to know something about building bridges to build them? You need to cross across and area so you find a way to do it. You think the first bridge builders had how-to manuals to follow? When my boys were small they often build bridges for their cars. Stacked a couple of blocks, made two stacks, joined the stackes with a piece of cardboard (or something), added a couple more pieces of cardboard and viola, ramps and a bridge. No problem.

It's the same with writing, you write the story or collection of stories. You edit to make the story flow, for improper grammar and punctuation, then try to market it. Why worry about the second book with the first one isn't written or published, or on the shelves?

"You have to be cautious, or you might very well set yourself up for failure."

If you're too cautious you never try anything and that is failure. If the Wright brothers had considered all the possiblities they never would've built that first airplane. Now sometimes you do have to consider the fatal possiblities, and work around them, as Lindberg did when he flew from the United States to Europe (France I think).

Don't worry about later. Write the book that's in you now. Sell it, then worry about how to handle the second one. And your editor may even have some suggestions for you at that point.

Just my two cents.
Nita

batyler65

Plot Monkey
Registered
Reaction score
DirtySyko said:
But what happens at book signings, or if you speak to an audience? If some guy reads your humor columns and knows your name and face, and then he reads your dark novel and shows up for a signing and finds out who you are, your cover is blown. Word of mouth spreads fast, so I don't see how a pseudonym could help much.

Unless of course you wear a mask while doing book signings haha.

Hmm. Big name authors like Stephen King and Nora Roberts used pseudonyms for years and never had any trouble. I suspect it can be done. ;)

Barb

rich

((Dirty's words: I'll just give an example of what's on my mind now for two things that I want to write. The humor book I'm currently working on is called "Pirates, Ninjas, and Robots"... I've also been contemplating writing a more serious book (Sort of one with a "Fight Club" feel to it) about the life of prostitution. I don't want to publish a silly book about pirates, ninjas, and robots, and then be looked at funny when I try to publish a book about prostitutes and it's actually meant to be dramatic, sad, and dark...))

Since just about every writer agrees that the hardest thing to write is humor, I would think that the feathers in your cap for achieving a good humor book or two might dissuade you from writing what you think is a "serious" book. Since you think you might accomplish some fame from writing a "silly" book, and that this would be an embarrassment if you also managed to achieve notoriety by writing something serious, I suggest you prepare your upcoming feat by contacting the Guinness Book of World Records so that they can record this for mankind.

You remind me of a weed-seed I once talked to. He asked me, "After I become a flesh petalled tulip in May, will my gardener disapprove when I blossom as an American Beauty Rose in June?"

Sheeit!

DirtySyko

Registered
Reaction score
Rich, you're not a very optimistic fellow.

I'm not shooting for fame and fortune here, I'm trying to keep in mind what publishers/agents will look at when viewing me. I would enjoy getting a book published that is funny, but I don't want to live off the money it MAY earn for me... I just want to know if I do infact get a humor book published, what agents or publishers are going to think of me when I try to write something else.

I understand the difficulties of getting even ONE book published, but it's better to know your limitations than to do something you may regret. If I knew publishing a humor book would ruin my chances in the future, I wouldn't do it... Because it isn't that important to me. It's just something I would like to do at this point in my life. I would, however, try to self publish the book myself, and just go through www.lulu.com. I wouldn't worry if I did that, but if I got a REAL publisher to do it, then I would worry about what agents or other publishers would think when they see me coming out with other things that aren't humorous.

ritinrider

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't understand what you're worried about. Somebody please explain it to me. If you write a good book and sell it, then any editor or agent will at least know you know how to write and will finish a book. Sounds like all good stuff to me. What am I missing?

Nita

batyler65

Plot Monkey
Registered
Reaction score
You know, there are probably a million, gazillion ways to talk yourself out of writing a book. So I think the real question here is, do you WANT to write either of those books? This debate sounds like a wonderful way to keep yourself from writing EITHER book.

Nita is right. If you write it and it is good, it will find a home. On the other hand, if you spend your time debating it and never put a word on paper, the point becomes moot.

I recommend attaching the seat of the pants to the seat of the chair and actually writing one of the things. Heck, write them both at the same time if you like. Worry about the publishing end when it comes. You have to get there first.

Barb

Liam Jackson

Heathen Horde Elder
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can only speak with reference to the agents and editors I deal with, and the prevailing attitude is go with a pen name. They deal with writers each and every day that fall into your category, i.e. polar-opposite genres, and pens are the only real option. Unless you become ultra-famous, in which case you could attach your name to a phonebook and people would still buy it.

This whole issue isn't an issue with agents, or editors.

mdmkay

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mdmkay.blogspot.com
There are many many authors who have written in more than one genre. IF SOMETIME, SOMEWHERE IN THE FAR FAR FUTURE you are giving a speech or whatever on your serious book and someone makes a comment on your humerous book you look at them smile and say "I'm a author with great scope and ability. I'm glad you liked the book. Now sit now and shut up so I can finish my lecture."

Does that answer you question? As for agents and editors if you write a good enough book they will publish it. (and I do mean period).

All Journey

Professional Novice
Registered
Reaction score
I relate!

Hey Dirty,

I relate to your question. My parents are pretty well known evangelists and although an adult with little ones of my own, I am the stereotypical closet humor writer. As wonderful as they are, most of the stuff I write would have them trying to achieve exorcism and the fetal position simultaneously. I have decided to write under pen names for the stuff that would rip them up. I can’t wait to be sitting in your lecture someday.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.