PDA

View Full Version : Keeping potential agents in the loop

Chanelley
01-26-2009, 03:18 AM
If an agent has a partial or a full of my work, do I let them know when other agents also request partials? Especially if they've had my work for over a month without exclusive dibs to it? I'm not sure if this is the right or polite thing to do, or whether to just give an agent their space and time.

lkp
01-26-2009, 04:16 AM
I preferred only to tell agents what they asked to know. I felt telling them about other agent-readers unsolicited might seem pushy. But I know other writers feel the exact opposite, so I suspect it comes down to what feels most comfortable to you.

victoriastrauss
01-26-2009, 06:14 AM
If an agent has a partial or a full of my work, do I let them know when other agents also request partials?

No. You have no obligation to do this, and it's not expected of you.

- Victoria

Karen Duvall
01-26-2009, 06:24 AM
If an agent has a partial or a full of my work, do I let them know when other agents also request partials? Especially if they've had my work for over a month without exclusive dibs to it? I'm not sure if this is the right or polite thing to do, or whether to just give an agent their space and time.

Erm... probably not wise. It looks like bragging and/or pushiness unless they specifically ask you to let them know. When I had 7 fulls out at once, none of the agents knew about the other, and none of them asked. Nobody wanted an exclusive, which thrilled me to no end. I'm now repped by one of those 7.

I hope you hear good news soon! :)

Jennifer_Laughran
01-26-2009, 06:35 AM
You definitely do NOT need to tell the agents when other agents request partials - in fact, I would urge you not to, as agents get enough email and that is unimportant in the grand scheme of things.

You DO let them know if you actually get offered representation by somebody, so that they can have the chance to either read the book quickly and also offer, or decline. Unless you want to accept the first offer you get, in which case, a polite note telling them that you have representation is still appropriate so they don't waste their time reading it.

KikiteNeko
01-26-2009, 06:41 AM
No. Unless an agent asks for an exclusive, you don't mention it. They assume other agents are reading.

Chanelley
01-26-2009, 11:44 AM
Ok thanks guys!

scope
01-27-2009, 01:43 AM
No. If an agent doesn't request an exclusive they assume you are querying others.