PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!!!!

Madisonwrites
01-25-2009, 11:12 PM
I have no idea what to do. I am in the process of querying my young adult fantasy The Ultimate Evil. I believe it is a good story....certainly one of the best I feel I have ever written. But I have two complete MG novels and agents and editors are almost screaming for stories written for that age group.

So. Do I still try to get an agent for my YA novel, or do you think I should pitch one of my MG stories? One is fantasy and the other is sci-fi. There is also a high possibility that these two stories are better than my YA.

Thanks! :D

Kathleen42
01-25-2009, 11:15 PM
But I have two complete MG novels and agents and editors are almost screaming for stories written for that age group.

Have you ever sent those out?

Madisonwrites
01-25-2009, 11:22 PM
No. These are only VERY recently completed. Like last week. Two weeks ago. One of the two. :)

Danthia
01-26-2009, 12:26 AM
Query with the best manuscript first. If you think one of the MG ones is a better book (or will be when you're done revising) then revise that and query that.

DO NOT rush to query a book that is in a hot genre/market right now but isn't quite finished. You're just shooting yourself in the foot. Agents will still be looking for great MG books a year from now, don't worry. You have time to revise and polish whatever book is your best one.

And for all you know, your YA book is appropriate for MG and they'll decide to market it that way. That happened to me. I got an agent for a YA, she submitted is as YA, the editor who bought it felt it was more MG and that's how we're marketing it. Fantasy has a lot of leeway between MG and YA.

Stacia Kane
01-26-2009, 12:27 AM
Query your best work, period.

If the MGs were just finished chances are it will be at least a month or two before they're ready to be queried; I try and sit on my projects without even looking at them for at least a month if possible before starting edits, because that way your mind is fresh and you'll catch things you wouldn't have had you started editing immediately.

jclarkdawe
01-26-2009, 12:30 AM
Why not query all three at the same time? Not in one letter, and give a break between each at each agency, and see which one lands first? With Query Tracker it's easy to keep this all straight.

Basically this was my approach with THE NEXT STEP and THE PICTURE. I had both of them out to different agents waiting to see what hooked an agent first. Some of the same agents were queried, but after a month or more, I doubt that my name registered with them.

This is, of course, assuming that all of this is polished to within an inch of its life. In my case, THE PICTURE got finished about 3 months after I started with THE NEXT STEP.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

Madisonwrites
01-26-2009, 06:33 AM
Wow. I thought you couldn't query more than one story. Apparently, that's not the case.

Honestly, I think each of my stories is strong in its own way. My MG novels are almost as polished as I can get them (one more than the other, but not by much). They are with Beta readers right now, so I'm waiting to hear back from them anyway.

So, anyone here think I should query more than one story (and not in one letter, as jclarkdawe pointed out)?

Twizzle
01-26-2009, 04:22 PM
So, anyone here think I should query more than one story (and not in one letter, as jclarkdawe pointed out)?

not to the same agency at the same time, but yes. of course. why couldn't you?

Danthia
01-26-2009, 05:38 PM
No reason why you can't, as long as you spread them around. The only potential trouble could come if two agents want to rep two different novels. Then you'd have to pick :)

Madisonwrites
01-26-2009, 08:05 PM
Well, maybe this would be how I can get my dream agent! :D She's already rejected me twice (with two different stories, one that's getting revamped and the other this YA fantasy). But I'm not discouraged yet! :D