Napa - Looking for Things To Do

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm headed to Napa this Thursday for a week to visit my BIL and his wife. I love Napa; I've been before but never for such a long stretch. It was always a day trip from Walnut Creek where they used to live.

Saturday, we have a private tasting at Duckhorn Vineyards in the afternoon, and that evening we're attending the Mustard Festival gala. I know there are countless wineries to see (and wines to taste!) and I'm sure we'll make to to a few of those.

I'm looking for suggestions for 'other' things to do in Napa, specifically things that suit a modest budget. :D (With tastings starting at $10 a pop, I'm sure most of our cash will disappear there.) I love to hike and would like suggestions for a park or something scenic. I was also thinking about heading over to the coast to walk along the beach. I'll have a car and I'm willing to head in any direction. (I've been to SF several times, though, and don't feel compelled to go there.)

Help, please???

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Stay above the Golden Gate if you go to the coast. There are lots of beautiful beaches in the area, including Stinson's, McClure's, and others. Bodega Bay was always nice, but I understand it's built up quite a bit and not as quaint as it used to be. Good seafood, though. Up the coast, it gets rougher (and more beautiful). Mendocino is a bit of a drive, but if you do it via the coast highway, you'll lose your breath a few times with the view (as long as it isn't foggy). If you go to the beach via Santa Rosa, there are lots of Charles Shultz things to see/do.

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
If you go to the beach via Santa Rosa, there are lots of Charles Shultz things to see/do.

Thanks, Neuro! The Mendocino County option appeals to me the most. Can you explain what you mean by the "Charles Shultz things"?

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for bumping, Ed, and thanks for the Schultz info, Neuro!

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
You won't be too far from Calistoga, if the weather is nice it's worth the small drive to see the Old Faithful Geyser and also take a tour of the Petrified Forest.. I visited both on my last trip through the area, and enjoyed the sidetrack from the busy busy of the wwine region. and snapped some pretty pictures too.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Also up in that area are the old Russian forts, set up for harvesting furs (mostly otter) from the coast. I think Fort Ross is a national park (or maybe a state one). And it's not too far from Russian River--a beautiful place. That era of California history was really interesting above the Golden Gate, particularly when you throw in the gold rush stuff. And that Northern California seashore is incredible for its power and beauty.

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Oh yes, Fort Ross is a great day trip, and you can explore the coast as well.
heck if you really want a nice day trip, go up Hwy1 towards Mendocino and Ft. Bragg. there's a really cool Botanical Gardens just outside of Ft. Bragg and some nice beaches, and you're not a bad time to spot whales.

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
I own Sideways. I did Santa Barbara last year. I hate at the Hitching Post, too. :D Loved it.

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions. I (forgive me football fans) forgot that the Superbowl is Sunday, so that's on our agenda, too. :)