Seen any ghosts at a cemetery?

Greenwolf103

I'm a grrrl dog, yo
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dmcwriter.tripod.com
Has anyone had a ghostly encounter at a cemetery? I am looking for true stories of seeing ghosts at a cemetery. If you have had such an experience, would you be willing to share it with me? This is for an article I have due in a few days. If you have a story to share, please email it to Dawn at DMCWriter(at)gmail.com Feel free to be as lengthy and detailed as you'd like. Please be sure to let me know if you want me to use your name, an alternate name or something like "Kelly C." I will only list a city/state to identify you with. No links or book titles, please. Thank you. I look forward to reading your stories! :)

Barb D

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bqdell.blogspot.com
No, but my daughter insists there's one in our basement. And she says the cats can tell she's there, too. Personally, I've never encountered her.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, no ghosts in cemeteries, though I had to walk home through one as a gradeschooler. Well, "walk" isn't exactly true.

I did see one in a library. My sighting is part of a record of dozens more at Billings Parmly Library, Billings, Montana.

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
Haven't actually 'seen' one, but I was in Greyfriars Kirkyard in Edinburgh recently, taking photos and taking notes on the layout for part of my historical / fantasy story, and was trying to have a look through the doors of the MacKenzie mausoleum, which is supposedly haunted and the source of loads of poltergeist activity in the cemetery. I'm pretty skeptical and very calm, not excitable etc, but I have never felt so uneasy as I did then, as if something was about to step up behind me or was watching me and really didn't want me there. Feeling went away as soon as I stepped back from the tomb.

Could've been psychosomatic or a reaction to the cold stone or mould or something but it really creeped me out at the time.

Don't know if that counts.

2Wheels

Anachronista
Registered
Reaction score
I think most paranormal investigators will tell you that (contrary to Hollywood ideals) cemetaries are the worst possible places to look for ghosts. Spirits tied to this earth tend to inhabit the place or places that had the most meaning to them in life--hence they show up in houses and parks--places of the living.

wyntermoon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
threeseasagency.com
Nope, I'm with 2Wheels. In twenty years of investigating, I've never seen one pop up at a cemetery. Makes for a great story though! :D

Greenwolf103

I'm a grrrl dog, yo
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dmcwriter.tripod.com
Thanks everyone for all of the input. And, thanks, semilargeintestine, for your email. I appreciate it!

I understand about the "ghosts not visiting cemeteries" thing. However, I've come across many reports as well as some very interesting stories. As rare as it may be to see ghosts at a cemetery, I understand it can happen and I just wanted to write about that.

auntybug

teh other evil broad
Registered
Reaction score
I am destined for greatness. I'm just pacing mysel
Website
www.junekramin.com
Our house was once an old church. We just discovered this. There is an old civil war cemetery 100 yards-ish in the forest just east (?) of our place. I looked it up online - oddly its there. I don't talk about it because people think you're crazy. I don't do the ghost thing - never have - but I cannot deny certain things that go on. Hubby's cousin finally witnessed something - he no longer looks at me funny. Hubby has finally admitted to hearing music - when there should be none. My daughter was unable to get the cat to play with the laser light (which she loves) because she was busy playing with something else my daughter couldn't see. I finally told her "I think we have ghosts. No worries, I don't believe in them."

Sorry - in the cemetary - no. In the old house closest to it. Meh.

ab, still denying such lunacy exists, even though the little bastids see fit to wake her up now & then.

Greenwolf103

I'm a grrrl dog, yo
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dmcwriter.tripod.com
Ah, yeah. I know all about that whole "people think you're crazy" thing. I am married to a skeptic and I can talk ghosty stuff til I'm blue in the face and he'll never believe any of it.

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
Did you ever get my email Greenwolf? I sent it a few days ago.

selkn.asrai

Rawr.
Registered
Reaction score
Ever hear of Resurrection Mary? Haunts the Resurrection Cemetery in Chicago.

One of the most famous ghosts in modern history. Stories of her spirit created the legend of the hitch-hiking ghost. It's an amazing, ongoing story.

Last edited:

Scrawler

Bored fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Not in a cemetery but after my former mother-in-law died quite suddenly, I saw her "image", felt her around me, and she spoke to me for days afterward.

The mourners were in the UK while I was alone in the USA. Mother-in-law would tell me things about their activities and then later I'd report what she'd said. It was the strangest experience of my life. She'd "speak to me" and tell me things about each of them, (private childhood nicknames in a different language), what they'd had for dinner, the disagreement over who wanted what for dinner, long ago events that she'd shared with specific family members-- info I knew nothing about and had no way of knowing. Like, "Mummy said not to cry, and she called you something like 'puddle-dumple' "- which turned out to be a German term of endearment sounding similar to that, but a made-up word she had used for her daughter). After her funeral she wanted me to tell them she was leaving but to look for her in small miracles, and told me what they could expect. These things happened.
Like I said, it was the most incredible thing I'd ever experienced.
I know, not what you're looking for but it was fun to share :)

Greenwolf103

I'm a grrrl dog, yo
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dmcwriter.tripod.com
Wow, that's amazing! Thank you for sharing. :)

And thanks to everyone else for sharing, too. I realize this isn't exactly a comfortable subject to discuss for everybody...

Ever hear of Resurrection Mary? Haunts the Resurrection Cemetery in Chicago.

One of the most famous ghosts in modern history. Stories of her spirit created the legend of the hitch-hiking ghost. It's an amazing, ongoing story.

Yup. Came across info about her in my research. I included her in my article.

Thank you for all the help, everyone. I wrote up and sent in my article. You guys are awesome and I really appreciate the help! :)

Fullback

Banned
Reaction score
"I am looking for true stories of seeing ghosts at a cemetery."

That sentence brought a smile to my face. :)

I hope that one day I can create a character who says something similar. Maybe something like: "I'm only interested in true stories of alien abduction!"

Greenwolf103

I'm a grrrl dog, yo
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dmcwriter.tripod.com
"I am looking for true stories of seeing ghosts at a cemetery."

That sentence brought a smile to my face. :)

I hope that one day I can create a character who says something similar. Maybe something like: "I'm only interested in true stories of alien abduction!"

Wow, I've never come across anyone nitpicking over my using that word.

I've had to adopt the habit of saying "I'm only interested in TRUE stories please" because, in the past, I've gotten stories that were not true stories. They were pranks or passages from short stories or something like that. Stuff I couldn't use, really. Just gotta make sure that little detail is clear up front, so that's why I say "true stories" and not "something you and your buddies pulled that might still relate to the subject somehow."

Prawn

Writing is finite,revising infinite
Registered
Reaction score
I understand the distinction. I don't believe in ghosts, but a true story about someone who thinks he has seen one is different than part of a short story. I love ghost stories myself, even if I don't believe they are true.

Heath

Registered
Reaction score
Not sure if you're still looking for stories but...

My great grandparents lived right by an old abandoned (i.e., not kept up) cemetary, and we would often explore it when we visited. One night, we decided to go there late at night, and as it is partly on a hill a couple hundred yards from their house, we lost the trail when it started to rain. It is all in dirt in a desert, you see, and as we were looking for the way, our flashlights happened upon an old baby cradle next to a baby's grave. Well, we had been in that graveyard enough during the daytime to know there was no baby cradle there, certainly not an old fashioned one. We hightailed it out of there, jumped puddles and got muddy on our way to the house...and never saw the baby cradle again.

-Heath H.
(That was in Green River, Utah.)

Last edited:

Greenwolf103

I'm a grrrl dog, yo
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dmcwriter.tripod.com
Wow! That's kinda scary....

Thank you for sharing. :)

Yeah, my article got published, so not looking for stories for it anymore. But I'm totally open to at least hearing about stories -- cemetery-related and otherwise. :D

The article is online, if anyone wants to read it?

In other paranormal news: I am working on a new ghosty book so I'm hunting down leads for haunted locations in different parts of the U.S.

Last edited: