Recycled fantasy plot - object of great importance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark B P

Registered
Reaction score
Aaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry. I'm angry.

I'm trying to write a sci-fi fantasy...and it's very hard to worry about it being original, realistic, and good at the same time. I know it's a fantasy and fantasies don't need to be realistic, but this is not the kind that has magic or anything spiritual. It doesn't have to be completely realistic (since it is in another world), but I want it to be believable.

Anyway, I want it to be original, but the story really hasn't gone anywhere. Now, I think I may have to resort to the hero having some object that the enemy wants, so the hero tries to get away.

It would help get the plot started. It would work well. It'd be more believable than what I have now.

But is it so cliche that it shouldn't be used at all regardless of how original the rest of the plot and characters are? I don't know.

One of the reasons I am having trouble with this story is that I do not think in a linear way...at all. I think in layers. If I try to think linearly it ends up being a mess.

So, this story should end up multi-layered...but since it is a story it needs to be linear...which is going to be difficult for me.

Last edited:

mab

Registered
Reaction score
I think you know what I am about to say- it does sound suspiciously like Lord of the Rings.

But that's not to say you shouldn't do it- its HOW you do it that matters. The Learn Writing with Uncle Jim thread has a lot of good thoughts on originality, plotting and character, you might want to look at that.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think it's fine, as long as it's something somewhat original (no magic rings, magic swords, treasure maps, or crystal balls).

Or, you could use an alternate:

The hero knows something . . . and the antagonist wants the information.

The antagonist knows something the hero doesn't . . . and decides to kill the hero before he can learn and use it against the antagonist's own plans. The hero flees to keep from being killed.

Or . . . dozens of other ideas.

Mark B P

Registered
Reaction score
I think you know what I am about to say- it does sound suspiciously like Lord of the Rings.
But that's not to say you shouldn't do it- its HOW you do it that matters. The Learn writing with Uncle Jim thread has a lot of good thoughts on originality, plotting and character, you might want to look at that.

Yeah. Not just like Lord of the Rings though. It's like a lot of fantasy stories.

Of course, this is just one aspect of the story. I think the rest of it is more original.

Is there another reason the enemy might want to capture the hero? The enemy is a military unit and they want to capture the hero. One of the leaders of this unit sends his son to capture the hero. The son is actually the official primary character. He's originally the antagonist but later becomes an anti-hero and is the POV character much more often than the hero.

Anyway, there needs to be a reason that this unit wants the hero.

Mel

Never be completely back to normal.
Registered
Reaction score
Could the hero be carrying important papers that the enemy would love to get hold of? Under no circumstances should these papers fall into the wrong hands.

Could the hero know something the enemy wants to find out, but this also is something that must not get into the wrong hands?

Not knowing anything about the story makes it hard to figure out what your hero is doing, and what the enemy wants. Still, why wouldn't your hero want to just get away from the enemy? Wouldn't he want to live? Wouldn't he want to get back to loved ones, whose lives might be in danger?

ETA: missed your last post. so why wouldn't important documents work?

Last edited:

Mark B P

Registered
Reaction score
I think it's fine, as long as it's something somewhat original (no magic rings, magic swords, treasure maps, or crystal balls).

Or, you could use an alternate:

The hero knows something . . . and the antagonist wants the information.

The antagonist knows something the hero doesn't . . . and decides to kill the hero before he can learn and use it against the antagonist's own plans. The hero flees to keep from being killed.

Or . . . dozens of other ideas.

I thought about these things. For some reason none of these things seem to work.

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
This reminds me of this game World of Warcraft.

You're gunna have to come up with the reason yourself. Put yourself in the enemy's shoes. What does he want?

If I just give you general reasons, then your story might become stilted.

She_wulf

that's me
Registered
Reaction score
Website
CaliaWilde.com
I read online here (but cannot remember which AW'er said it, apologies...) that there are two types of stories.

1. A stranger comes to town.

2. the characters travel to new town.

So, don't worry so much about recycling plots, just be certain you do the head and pen work necessary to make it a good story.

If anyone knows the name of the AW'er who said this, please either rep/PM me or post here. I'd like to give her the credit (and it was a her because her avatar is a personal photo I believe...)

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
Could the hero be carrying important papers that the enemy would love to get hold of? Under no circumstances should these papers fall into the wrong hands.

Make sure you hide the documents inside R2-D2 and sent him to Tatooine.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I thought about these things. For some reason none of these things seem to work.
Do you want ideas for the object? Or are you just interested in what others think of the idea in a general sort of way?

Mark B P

Registered
Reaction score
Do you want ideas for the object? Or are you just interested in what others think of the idea in a general sort of way?

I'll take anything. I just need help brainstorming.

Mostly general since I haven't said anything about the story.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What about . . .

A crown. The hero thinks the antagonist wants the crown only for its worth and symbolic value, but the antagonist knows the crown also gives the wearer some kind of power.

A ancient key engraved with images. The images give the location of a treasure of great value.

The notebook of one of the antagonist's former advisers (or his brother). The journal tells of the antagonist's true plans.

By the way, I'm not a big fantasy reader, so I have no ideas which ideas have been used (or overused) in the past.

mab

Registered
Reaction score
If you're just wanting us to throw ideas around, here are a couple:

-they're pursuing him to kill him :

-because he's the last heir to a hereditary line they're looking to overthrow
-because he knows something he shouldn't
-for revenge on his family/nation

-they're pursuing him to kidnap him:

-to hold him to ransom for something they very much need
-because he's actually the biological son of their commander
-because they want him to join their side due to a special skill/attribute he has

These are just my random blurts, don't know if they will work without knowing more about your story. 

Status
Not open for further replies.