Anchorage gets a wake-up call

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
6.1 Richter earthquake this morning, just after nine.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5h2iR966V721MBttrK1j49ukH4RZAD95TN6B80

I was amid the contemplation of the possibility that I might start to begin to commence getting out of bed, and that convinced me. Was a pretty fair shake, and we haven't had one in a couple of years now; usually we get 2-3 a year. Not impossible we might have aftershocks, or even that this was a precursor to a larger one. Stay tuned.

The location of this one is also a little disturbing, from a geological standpoint. It would be in an active subduction area, the kind of place that can really produce big papas.

caw

Last edited:

Inky

Eat, Sleep, Write...
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, but I'm STILL crossing fingers that our next duty station is Alaska--where I'm hoping to retire--IF sent back to states.

Besides, I'm from the heartland of earthquakes, so a lil' immune to 'em.

Gary

Registered
Reaction score
I experienced two 5-something quakes in Anchorage only two years after the big one and even then they were mostly ignored by the locals, but anything over 6 will likely get your attention. A 5.8 in Seattle certainly got mine.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Actually, it's coastal southern California sneaking up north. Literally. The Pacific Plate is busy sliding north along the San Andreas fault zone, but once it gets all the way up here, it slams against part of the North American Plate, and gets sucked under it. That subduction zone is exactly where this morning's rattle occurred.

It's the damn Angelenos.

caw

Reaction score
Please tell me the future first woman and next Republican President of the United States, Governor Palin is okay.

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
I felt an earthquake when I was a kid. It was a 4.7 but its epicenter was all the way up in New Hampshire. I felt it down here in Massachusetts and although it was quite tame here in my area, I and many others felt it all the same.

But yeah, anything higher than a 6.0 seems to be the cut off point between, "Wow, that was cool!" and "Oh my GOD! We have to move!"

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
The thing really entertained my cats. There was no damage reported, in any case. The worrisome thing is this: The last time we had one of this magnitude, several years ago, it was a bit farther away, in the other direction, up north about 200 miles. That occurred on another major subduction fault zone, the one that's thrusting under Mt. Denali. It turned out to be a precursor to a much larger quake three weeks later that registered 7.9 Richter, and was the strongest quake anywhere in the world that year. Fortunately, the area is so sparsely populated that there were no injuries and minimal damage, mainly cracking some road surfaces.

But a 7.9 quake located where this one was this morning would be bad. Likely tsunami producing for the coastal towns of Homer, Seward, Seldovia and Kodiak, and it would definitely cause damage in Anchorage. Ain't been no really big one here since the giant 1964 event, which was a 9.2 Richter; but between 1900 and 1964, southern Alaska got eleven 8.0+ Richter events, averaging one every eight years or so. Now, it's a big area, but still, something like that would definitely charge up the old adrenalin.

caw

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
Glad to see you're okay though. I'll bet that'll keep everyone's senses on alert!

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Glad everything was okay, blac. Back in July I was in LA when the 5.4 hit. It was quite an interesting experience -- I thought a big truck had just drove past. Then I asked the person next to me, "Was that what I think it is?" "Yup. Just a small one." Fortunately, the damage was minimal in that one.

MsK

Registered
Reaction score
Glad you're okay. 6.1 is a pretty big shake. Earthquakes fascinate me and scare the daylights out of me at the same time.