Cliff, Shag, Marry

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
Do people - especially teens - play "cliff, shag, marry" in North America. If so, does it go by another name?

I first learned of the game reading a Doctor Who fan fic (we all have our quirks and obsessions). Someone throws out a name and another persons says whether they'd marry the person, shag them, or throw them over a cliff.

I want to include it in the scene of a YA I'm writing but I don't know if readers in the States and Canada would get the reference.

RainyDayNinja

Registered
Reaction score
I'm 22, and I've never heard of it, though I've seen similar discussions on other internet forums. Of course, I never hung out with the cool kids, so I don't know what they did.

But if they did, they definitely wouldn't say "shag." We have other words for that.

psykeout

should be writing instead...
Registered
Reaction score
I can't remember the name of it off hand, but they were doing it in the movie "Freddy VS. Jason"

They were (supposedly) teens in the movie, so I think that would be a yes.

jgold

Grinning
Registered
Reaction score
Oh yes, there's an American version--it's Shag, Marry or Dump. An alternative is Date, Marry or Dump. I've seen them both as board games.

Haven't heard the cliff variation before... but I like it. :)

There's another game called "Would you rather...?" where you supply two potentially nasty choices and make people choose. Like, would you rather kiss Lindsay Lohan or Tara Reid?

reenkam

aka cupcake
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, they still play.

It's called FMK (F*ck, Marry, Kill)

TerzaRima

Absinthe O'Malice
Registered
Reaction score
IIRC it's called Shag, Marry, Kill. There's a variant called Death is Not an Option--i.e., would you rather have um, Biblical knowledge of Carrot Top or former VP Cheney? And death is not an option.

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
I've heard it called Fuck, Marry, or Kill. My girlfriend's 15-year-old cousin plays it with her friends a lot, so I'd say that yes, it is popular among teens.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
In my experience, we just call it "Cliff." The options are the same, though, except we Yanks just say "have sex with" or "fuck" instead of shag.

Reaction score
Me and my classy schoolchums used to call this the 'eat dogshit' game. The rules/options are pretty self-explanatory.

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
I've also heard of a variation where you are given three names, and you have to assign each one of them one of the choices; but you can only use each choice once. So, I might get Paris Hilton, Miss Piggy and Sarah Palin. My choices would, obviously, be fuck Palin, marry Miss Piggy and kill Paris Hilton.

Reaction score
Also there's the 'gun to the head' variation. Good for waiting rooms, queues in supermarkets and the like.

I do that all the time. I expect it makes me a bit strange.

So no, when I'm in a queue or waiting room, I'm not thinking about my WIP, or politics, or religion, or anything noble. I'm playing 'gun to the head'.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I've also heard of a variation where you are given three names, and you have to assign each one of them one of the choices; but you can only use each choice once. So, I might get Paris Hilton, Miss Piggy and Sarah Palin. My choices would, obviously, be fuck Palin, marry Miss Piggy and kill Paris Hilton.

Those are the rules we used, too.

Ciera_

We've always been more likely to simply give the person two options. Usually random boys in our class. 'which boy would you rather kiss? death is not an option.' That was more common in elementary school.
I've also heard of a different game. You have three chances to pick someone to Marry (or 'shag', if you want to play what way). So the first person that walks through the door, you can choose to marry, or you can pass. if you pass on the next person, too, then you're stuck with the third person.
Kind of a dumb game. Cliff, shag, marry sounds much more fun.
Of course, we'd NEVER say 'shag', here.

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score

That's how I thought it was always played. Three names, three categories.

Reaction score
Lori and I play our own little variation of this too.

It has a snappy title.

"If you could only have one Leto brother for the rest of your life and never have a go of the other, which one would you choose?"

reenkam

aka cupcake
Registered
Reaction score

Isn't this how you play all of them?

Aschenbach

Moral Marjorie
Registered
Reaction score
The Yes/No game is a simpler form that only requires one player, and i'm sure we all do it. Every waking minute. The rules are;

whenever you walk past someone, you have a quick look, and decide if you want to have sex with them.

It's "yes" or "no". "Maybe" isn't allowed.

AyJay

Luv's Conscript
Registered
Reaction score
Website
andrewjpeterswrites.com
The name I'm familiar with is: "Shoot, Shag or Shack Up," which is kinda cute because of the alliteration.