Careers for my fantasy sci-fi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark B P

Registered
Reaction score
I need help brainstorming possible careers in my fantasy sci-fi. For some reason I can't think of any.

The setting is sort of hard to explain, but basically it has sort of a post-apocalyptic feel. There is never any talk of space of going into space...there are no robots, though there are computers. The culture is quite militaristic. It isn't much of a consumerist culture at all.

It isn't that there is no economy at all though. There's still currency and people still sell things. There are shops and all...but it isn't a big part of the culture.

So, what kind of jobs can you think of? I don't really want it to be anything involving retail.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
What sort of career are you after? Unskilled? Skilled? Professional? It's militaristic so you still have a functioning state and functioning economy. There'll be doctors, lawyers, politicians, teachers, police, clerks, merchants, soldiers, labourers, builders, engineers...
If your world is less orderly, think of what skills will be in demand. Security personnel of all sorts will be popular, but so will those with vital skills such as sanitation and water engineers, tradesmen, and anyone with medical training. You'll also need someone to pry dead wasteland hounds and muties off the perimeter electric fence. That's a lot of good protein going to waste otherwise.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
People are always going to need food, clothing and shelter, so someone needs to grow, fabricate and construct. Spreading materials and supplies to a wide population requires a distribution network and transportation. Organizing this requires an administration. Protection of same requires a police force. All of these spawn jobs.

...I like Albedo's "fence harvester" idea. "Hey Bob, how was your day?" "Sweet. Bagged me sixty muties. Meat Processing Plant pays ten bucks apiece..."

-Derek

Last edited:

geardrops

Good thing I like my day job
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geardrops.net
Jobs spawn from servicing needs. Figure out what the needs are. Figure out how people would service them.

Izunya

Registered
Reaction score
Mechanics. If you have machines, you will need mechanics.

Likewise, if you have computers, you need programmers. If you have toilets you need plumbers. Every kind of machine has some sort of technician. So if you know a bit about the physical environment, you know (in a vague sort of way) what sort of people must keep it running.

Izunya

Status
Not open for further replies.