Just When You're On Your Last Leg...

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
...and have lost faith in people and the world around you, someone does something so astonishing it gives you hope.

As many of you know, I lost my job last summer. It's been hard. We are all feeling it and I'm not the first or the last to fall in the downsizing or unfair business practices today.

I had subscribed to Rosetta Stone last March in the hopes of learning Spanish to get me the job I wanted. I had been using it for three months and then with work and then being layed off and my mother passing and a whole lot of things, I just didn't use it. My subscription was online and I did it online. I realized this last July too late to stop them, that it was an auto renew order. Yeah, the fine print wasn't there as I recalled.

So anyway, last night I get this email from Rosetta Stone saying they were in the process of renewing, AGAIN! I phoned just now to say please, stop. I can't afford this. I asked for help to cancel the subscription and was sent to perhaps one of the kindest people I have ever been graced to speak to.

She didn't even ask me for a reason. She went right to stopping it though it had gone through this morning and was refunding my money and canceling the subscription. I explained to her that because I had lost my job I just couldn't afford it and had meant to cancel this sooner but it was one of those things that slips through the cracks and that I appreciated the notice because I didn't get one last summer for the renewal then.

She immediately went and checked my history and said because I had only used it for three months, I was being not only refunded the money they took from my credit card today, $149.00 but would be receiving a full refund of another $149.00 from last July's renewal. She sat for a moment while doing that giving me some advice on how to find work and said she hopes things turn around for me and everyone else who has found themselves out of work because of the things that have happened in our economy.

Honestly, I had to check myself as I got teary eyed over her generosity in refunding not only today's debit without any pressure but she did the second refund without a hint or request on my part.

It is so reassuring to know that not everyone is out to take us for what they can get and that there are people out there with the old fashioned business standards who don't just see us as dollar signs but real people with real every day problems and that $149 dollars from last July? It will pay this month's electric bill.

I thanked her profusely for her kindness and generosity with the reassurance that should I find myself able to use their program again and had the money to do it, they would always have my loyalty and business.

Last edited:

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. Just, wow. That's great, Cass.

Almost makes me think there isn't a dark lining to *every* cloud.
I know!

I mean, this woman was so kind and it felt like I was talking to an old friend. She was just amazing. And kudos for the HR director who hired her and for Rosetta Stone for stepping up to the plate.

She explained that they were doubling their efforts to remind people of their auto renewal policy and even apologized that they missed contacting me last July.

So today, there's a little less worry on my shoulders thanks to a very kind customer service rep! I can't wait to email my professor from last semester's Marketing class on Customer retention and call centers. This was one for the books!

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
... I wish all call centers were staffed by such caring people.
The ones I usually get start out with:

Press one for English.
Press two for Spanish.
Press three for Signing.

How may we help you today?

Press one or say, "Kill myself now."
Press two or say, "Kill myself while on hold."
Press three or say, "Kill myself after I've spoken to a service representative."

Thank you. Your call is important to us. Please stay on the line and the next available funeral service will contact your next of kin to arrange a burial schedule.

Angie

Shaddup and lemme think.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tranquiligeek.com
The ones I usually get start out with:

Press one for English.
Press two for Spanish.
Press three for Signing.

How may we help you today?

Press one or say, "Kill myself now."
Press two or say, "Kill myself while on hold."
Press three or say, "Kill myself after I've spoken to a service representative."

Thank you. Your call is important to us. Please stay on the line and the next available funeral service will contact your next of kin to arrange a burial schedule.

We must be calling the same places. :ROFL:

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
That is beautiful, Cassi. Just so sorry for your hardships. Very glad things are starting to turn around and hope they continue because you are very kind and caring and deserve only happiness. ((((((HUGS)))))).

SusanH

Registered
Reaction score
That was so nice. Gives faith in humanity.

I find when I feel down all I have to do is come here. I guess you could say AW is my muse.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
I know that what I experienced today wasn't the norm it would seem but it is a blessing that I was treated like that. And I think it's important that once in a while we discuss things that lift us up and not always drag us down or affirm just how bleak things can get.

That's why I posted this in here, as sappy as it may sound to try and balance out the negative and difficulties that go on in our lives. Perhaps seeing something positive will make a difference for someone like she did for me today.

I'm just saying SK and Angie, I need a little help here. So if you have a positive experience where just when you had given up or were about to and someone came to your rescue, it'd be great to read about it.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
That is beautiful, Cassi. Just so sorry for your hardships. Very glad things are starting to turn around and hope they continue because you are very kind and caring and deserve only happiness. ((((((HUGS)))))).
:Hug2: Yes, Susie... I do believe things ARE starting to turn around. I remembered something the other day, sometimes you just gotta ask. ;)

That was so nice. Gives faith in humanity.

I find when I feel down all I have to do is come here. I guess you could say AW is my muse.
I know just how you feel. :)

That's almost unheard of. Good for you!

Stay warm!
You too, cupcake... er...I mean dork cupcake. ;)

qwerty

exiled Brit
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing that, Cassiopeia. It's an amazing story - but the sad thing is we're so surprised to hear of anything like that happening. Their business must be suffering like everyone else's, yet they still manage to be concerned for others.

I hope things get better for you soon.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Pass it on, Cass. (Although you've already done so with the kind words about the RS people).

Last edited:

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
I find it amazing that many businesses don't realize what customer service like this will do for them.

1) If Cassi does find herself in a position where she can join again, she will. Gladly.

2) If anyone Cassi tells finds themselves in need of Spanish lessons, (like, my son perhaps, or maybe someone else reading this thread) who do you think they'll contact first? Not the other guy who doesn't give a damn, that's for sure.

It's just plain bad business to treat your customers like crap.

Cassi, I'm glad there's been a ray of sunshine to brighten up a difficult time for you. Here's hoping things continue to get better for you. :Hug2:

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
:Hug2: Yes, Susie... I do believe things ARE starting to turn around. I remembered something the other day, sometimes you just gotta ask. ;)

I know just how you feel. :)

You too, cupcake... er...I mean dork cupcake. ;)

(((((((((((HUGS)))))))) Cassi. Keepin' fingers crossed for you!

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Don't forget to contact Rosetta Stone telling them of your positive experience with customer service, stressing that when your circumstances permit, you will definitely re-enlist their services largely because she was so helpful.

Her merit raises and advancement may be linked to unsolicited praise from customers, especially in written form.

Maryn, letter writer

Captshady

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score

quoted for truth

Hillary

Neural Trailblazer
Registered
Reaction score
Don't forget to contact Rosetta Stone telling them of your positive experience with customer service, stressing that when your circumstances permit, you will definitely re-enlist their services largely because she was so helpful.

Her merit raises and advancement may be linked to unsolicited praise from customers, especially in written form.

Maryn, letter writer

Ah! That was one of my thoughts. I know it's wonderful to hear about it here, and spread the love and positive vibes to us... But on a practical level, it would probably be wonderful to figure out who you spoke to and pass the love BACK to her. (Did you, perhaps, when you spoke to her? If not, maybe your account shows a record of which employee authorized your refunds?) It might not change this woman's life, but I would try to find out who it was, and contact someone higher up in the customer service chain of command to share your experience and your renewed loyalty to their company as a direct result of how you were treated.

(I'm reminding myself of my mother, who always praises people when they deserve it. No matter how small the job was, if it was done well, she would remark on it. I remember her once calling a pizza place to speak with the owner so she could tell him that his employee had cut our pizza into completely perfect slices - not that mangled mishmash of one-inch-wide slices next to ten-inch-wide ones - totally even.)

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ah! That was one of my thoughts. I know it's wonderful to hear about it here, and spread the love and positive vibes to us... But on a practical level, it would probably be wonderful to figure out who you spoke to and pass the love BACK to her. (Did you, perhaps, when you spoke to her? If not, maybe your account shows a record of which employee authorized your refunds?) It might not change this woman's life, but I would try to find out who it was, and contact someone higher up in the customer service chain of command to share your experience and your renewed loyalty to their company as a direct result of how you were treated.

(I'm reminding myself of my mother, who always praises people when they deserve it. No matter how small the job was, if it was done well, she would remark on it. I remember her once calling a pizza place to speak with the owner so she could tell him that his employee had cut our pizza into completely perfect slices - not that mangled mishmash of one-inch-wide slices next to ten-inch-wide ones - totally even.)

Oh yeah. What Hillary sez.

I do think that was really fantastic, and I hope things turn around for you soon, too. :Hug2:

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
I find it amazing that many businesses don't realize what customer service like this will do for them.

1) If Cassi does find herself in a position where she can join again, she will. Gladly.

2) If anyone Cassi tells finds themselves in need of Spanish lessons, (like, my son perhaps, or maybe someone else reading this thread) who do you think they'll contact first? Not the other guy who doesn't give a damn, that's for sure.

It's just plain bad business to treat your customers like crap.

Cassi, I'm glad there's been a ray of sunshine to brighten up a difficult time for you. Here's hoping things continue to get better for you. :Hug2:
I just spent an entire semester this last fall in a class on Marketing. It's focus? Building and rebuilding clientele based on customer loyalty and retention.

Maryn, letter writer
Yes, I'm working on finding out where to send the letter. I wish I'd gotten her name. I was so shocked that I forgot to asked but hopefully they will have a record of the service rep who did this for me.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score

I want write that letter like Maryn said and was already working on it yesterday.

I also told her when I was talking to what an amazing person she is and how kind I felt she is. She tried to poopoo it and just carried on but I said it over and over again that every little bit helps right now and she has no idea how much she just helped me.

Oh and before I forget, make sure you tell your mom how great she is. When my kids tell me how great they think I am, everything is right with the world.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh and before I forget, make sure you tell your mom how great she is. When my kids tell me how great they think I am, everything is right with the world.
I'm not bent on derailing this thread, but I once read of the nicest thing. Two female friends celebrated one another's birthdays with small gifts. Then one woman lost her job and had trouble finding another. The working friend's birthday neared and she worried about her friend spending her money needlessly on the usual gift.

On her birthday, her mother called. "Happy birthday. It's been difficult, but I'm not supposed to tell you about this until today. Your friend wrote me the loveliest note thanking me for having you and raising you to be such a fine friend. I don't know when I've been so touched."

Birthday gift delivered, and treasured for many years.

Maryn, returning you to our thread in progress

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
This should have had a warning, need tissues handy. ;)
I'm not bent on derailing this thread, but I once read of the nicest thing. Two female friends celebrated one another's birthdays with small gifts. Then one woman lost her job and had trouble finding another. The working friend's birthday neared and she worried about her friend spending her money needlessly on the usual gift.

On her birthday, her mother called. "Happy birthday. It's been difficult, but I'm not supposed to tell you about this until today. Your friend wrote me the loveliest note thanking me for having you and raising you to be such a fine friend. I don't know when I've been so touched."

Birthday gift delivered, and treasured for many years.

Maryn, returning you to our thread in progress
Oh my word, what a beautiful thing to do. You are not derailing the thread my wise friend. You posted exactly what I was hoping for. Stories like this are so important to share and are appropriate at any time but no more so than during difficult times.