PDA

View Full Version : formatting equeries

jscribbles
01-23-2009, 07:27 PM
I'm having a heck of a time with this. I thought what I was sending out looked good, but then I realized two of the three rejections I've gotten were spaced really weirdly when they were bounced back to me. The one request I've gotten looked good.

Either my query has no spaces between paragraphs at all, or it has enormous spaces between them. I've tried sending tests to three different email programs, and they all look different. How are we supposed to make them look good when we're cutting and pasting a document into an email program like Hotmail? It all depends on how the agent's email program displays the text.

Has anyone else had this problem? How do you resolve it? I hate to come off unprofessional, but I can't figure out how to control how the query appears so that it's uniform for everyone.

If an agent likes the premise, will that be enough to encourage them to request my ms? Or will they use the funky formatting as the excuse to reject me?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Kathleen42
01-23-2009, 07:41 PM
I've been pasting into notepad (making sure "wordwrap" is turned on), putting the spaces back in between paragraphs, and then pasting into a new email.

This seems to work fairly well. Before sending to agent's, I emailed to Outlook, Hotmail, and Yahoo. There were a few quirks, but nothing major.

My original text (below the two rejections I received) looked fine when coming back from the agent.

caromora
01-23-2009, 07:52 PM
Make sure you send it as plain text with no formatting. And as Kathleen42 suggested above, send a few test queries to yourself before sending it to anyone else.

jscribbles
01-23-2009, 08:04 PM
I've been sending test queries to Gmail, Hotmail, and my work email address, and they all look different.

Really, the thing I'm struggling with is that (even with wordpad), Hotmail screws up the spaces between paragraphs. Either it takes them out entirely, or it puts about four spaces between each paragraph. Both look ridiculous.

And the same query looks different depending on whether I look at it from my work email or from Hotmail. Maybe I need to drop Hotmail.

Thanks for the feedback.

petec
01-23-2009, 08:09 PM
It sounds like maybe you are using hard returns with word wrap

jscribbles
01-23-2009, 08:22 PM
Hmm, when I replace hard returns with soft returns, there are no spaces at all. All the text is smooshed together. I would like just one line between each paragraph, to break up the text for the eye.

jscribbles
01-23-2009, 08:25 PM
I think I'm going to switch to Gmail. When I send it from there, it looks right. Hotmail always adds weird spacing to my stuff. One of my readers also said it was adding random letters to my text (which didn't show up on my end of things).

This is just too important to screw things up (which it seems I've already done on a number of queries that may look really weird, thanks to Hotmail).

caromora
01-23-2009, 08:46 PM
Well, Wordpad is rtf--you don't want to send them out with any formatting. I've never had any problems with pasting it into Notepad, saving it as txt, then closing and reopening it (sometimes just pasting it into Notepad won't help--close then reopen). Or you can use the "switch to plain text" button that most web-based email services have. It will strip the formatting, you can reconfigure it until it looks the way you want it, then send yourself a test query.

jscribbles
01-23-2009, 08:54 PM
Thanks, caromora. I'll try this.