Bear with me on this one....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marzipan

Registered
Reaction score
A few nights ago, I finally slept after several restless nights. I had a dream that I was walking along a river as a girl, perhaps the age of fifteen. When I stepped through a very large mass of weeds, I found myself on a very well-kept lawn. In the center of the lawn was a very un-kept gothic style mansion (yes, steryotypical I know, but don't blame my subconcious on what the media has done to it.).

I couln't help it. I walked to the door and pushed it open, stepping into a large and un-lit sitting room. On a large chair by the fire was a middle aged man with long brown hair and pale eyes. After several failed attempts of driving me away, he eventually allowed me to sit with him.

He explained he was a vampire that had lost his will in life and no longer felt joy or excitement. Even stalking prey has lost all the fun. He seemed so lonely that I couln't help but feel sorry for him.

Day after day in the dream I retured to him, and eventually coaxed him to go to an amusment park with me.

I woke the next morning feeling very good, but very sad. I had a new plot (that would have to be shelved after it was written for a few years of course do to the timing.)

I think it would be very fun as a dry comedy told from both the vampire and my perspectives, although it would be adult not YA. Still My question is. What do you think of this idea with all 'Twilight' topics aside.

ideagirl

Registered
Reaction score
I like it. And that's saying something, since I'm not a vampire-stories fan.

Oh, re the thread title: it's "bear" with me. "Bare" with me would be very different indeed...!

quickWit

Totally Ninja!
Registered
Reaction score
Any idea can be made funny or not, compelling or not. It's all in the construction of the story itself. It's an interesting premise, and if you can't stop thinking about it ride it out. Don't worry about whether or not it'll work for others, just write it for yourself. Worry about the rest later.

Good luck with it Kidd. Welcome to the Cooler! :)

tehuti88

Mackinac Island Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.inkspot.com
You know what, I'm an avowed vampire...non-fan. As I've stated around these forums before, I know. :eek: I just find them too overdone.

But the moment you said "dry comedy," that made your idea leap out. Many of the vampire stories out there nowadays just seem so pretentious and serious and full of themselves. Perhaps dry comedy is what's needed to make your vampire story not seem like the rest? As ideagirl said, it's really saying something that this caught my attention, too.

Please note this is just my OPINION and if anyone is offended, apologies, but it's what I think. (I know there are people out there who hate the type of stuff I write, but I won't go lambasting 'em or telling them they're unfortunate and stuff.)

Marzipan

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, i'm sorry for my grammar accidents :). Everyone gave me really good in-put. I have to agree that the whole vampire thing is entirely over-done and at the moment it's in full bloom. However, I think I could make this work in a few years. I've never read Interview with a Vampire, so I honestly wouldn't know. Opinions are always welcome.

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
One more quick note: Read everything in the genre that you can. Ann Rice's Interview With the Vampire is now a classic.

Every you book you read will help you write.

PS You are in Louisiana - it's the American incubator for vampire stories!

Marzipan

Registered
Reaction score
I will! I've read The Mayfair Witch series already. I have to agree with you. I grew up with vampires because I live so close to New Orleans. I go often, I think i've done the vampire tour about three times with random high school friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.