William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
what better way for a bunch of murderous fucks who want to take the world back to the dark ages to die than from the plague...

At least 40 al-Qaeda fanatics died horribly after being struck down with [bubonic plague, which], swept through insurgents training at a forest camp in Algeria, North Africa. ... Now al-Qaeda chiefs fear the plague has been passed to other terror cells — or Taliban fighters in Afghanistan. One security source said: "This is the deadliest weapon yet in the war against terror. Most of the terrorists do not have the basic medical supplies needed to treat the disease. It spreads quickly and kills within hours. This will be really worrying al-Qaeda."

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
That's horrifying. They could quickly figure out that it would be a wonderful weapon for them. Or maybe they are experimenting.

LINK?

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
I suspect The Sun may be exagerrating the impact somewhat. It is not a newspaper famed for the accuracy of its reporting and the depth of its analysis

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
Or maybe they are experimenting.

That was my thought when I read this. Were they trying to use the plague as a weapon and it backfired on them? A whole new version of a 'suicide bomber'?

Andrew

Most of the rules gotta go...
Registered
Reaction score
We should do all we can to make certaiin there are no hungry rats in the caves--that way, they will reproduce more of themselves. Heh.

cethklein

Registered
Reaction score
That was my thought when I read this. Were they trying to use the plague as a weapon and it backfired on them? A whole new version of a 'suicide bomber'?

Either way, it proves that karma works.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is interesting. I guess I assumed Bubonic Plague had been successfully eradicated from the planet. I can't recall hearing any stories on it anyway.

Nope. It still exists in places like CDC around the world if nowhere else. I haven't heard of any outbreaks in my lifetime, but the disease is still around.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Nope. It still exists in places like CDC around the world if nowhere else. I haven't heard of any outbreaks in my lifetime, but the disease is still around.
Well, I figured the cultures kept at the CDC went without saying. I think they have several diseases that have long since been eradicated in storage there. Small Pox, as an example?

cethklein

Registered
Reaction score

There are different strains of the plague. I seem to recall a small outbreak in India a few years back. Supposedly it's easily cured if treated early.

Tirjasdyn

Outline Maven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michellejnorton.com

Nah...it's called wandering in the woods and not cleaning up after yourself.

You can get in Colorado by doing the same thing.

That or petting prairie dogs.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay so... I am NEVER so much as visiting Colorado...