I can't believe they've never heard of Stephen King or John Grisham

eric11210

Registered
Reaction score
This is just venting.

I recently moved to Israel and am currently teaching two honors 8th grade English classes. It's a little different than what I did back in the States since the focus is more on grammar, but being a writer, I try to push my kids to write, even if their command of English is still more limited since it's a second language for them.

Anyway, the text book has a whole unit on books and authors which were are currently discussing. One of the authors mentioned was Mark Twain (who by the way only three of my kids -- out of 60 had heard of). It mentioned that this was his pen name and his real name was Samuel Clemens.

So I was explaining the concept of a pen name and said, "you know Stephen King famously used a pen name for some early work as well." I could not believe it, but the whole class had blank stares. I tried the same in my second class, same thing. I also asked about John Grisham. "who?" came the response.

Now I'm not expecting them to have read any of their books, even though both have had their stuff translated into Hebrew. I'm not even expecting that they've seen a movie based on one of their books, though all the movies were released in Israel with Hebrew subtitles.

But they had never even heard the names! When I explained the two of them were among the wealthiest, best known authors alive and between the two of them, they'd probably sold more 500 million books, they were shocked. . .

I don't know. I mean these are honors kids. I'm not teaching the lower levels. And they've never even heard of two of the biggest names in writing?

I gave them a homework assignment to print out some information from the internet about one of about a dozen famous authors (none were familiar, names like Hemingway, Asimov, etc.).

A couple of them missed the point and e-mailed it to me but didn't bring it with them. I just wanted them to read it in class so they would at least know the names. . .oh well. . .

Anyway, I'm done with my venting. . .

Eric

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I can't abide John Grisham and want to willfully forget his name. I don't blame them.

Authors who produce best sellers in the States don't always carry their popularity world-wide. Try mentioning JK Rowling and see what you get.

Stlight

ideas are floating where they will
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
where you can put sugar sprinkles on lots of thing
King and Grisham not literature. Why should they know them? They are what used to be described as paperback writers (something I would like to be), not literature. Stick around you'll find their education will stun you, nothing like Hebrew school. A friend who went through Hebrew school said Harvard was a snap, nothing compared to that.

Do you expect them to know Danelle Steele? Why not? She's sold as many books as King and Grisham have. What about Rice?

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Kind of like going to a science fiction convention and wondering why you don't have any attendees at your panel on Famous Harlequin/Mills & Boone Authors of the 1940's.

And because a record sells 2,000,000 in the UK doesn't mean anybody in the US has heard of the singer.

Thousands of people in the US only heard of the movie Ringu from Japan when the remake The Ring was released. And even then, some are still surprised to hear The Ring is a remake.

And I'm sure there are at least three incredibly popular authors in Greece who regularly sell millions of their books but I've never heard of them.

Last edited:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I too would find it odd that they hadn't at least heard of Stephen King. Maybe not so much so for John Grisham. When someone gets to "superstar" status in whatever field, people around the world tend to know who they are, even if they've never read them, or heard them perform, or saw their work.

I don't care a thing for pro soccer (never watched a full game in my life), but most soccer fans would shake their heads in disbelief if I said I'd never ever heard of Beckham.

Vincent

Cheers
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Well I remember being surprised to talk to Romanians who had never heard of King, but did know Rowling and Dan Brown. It might have been something to do with being behind the Iron Curtain during the height of his popularity.

Was Israel very jealously guarding it's cultural heritage from outside popular culture (much like the French try) during the 80s?

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
A published writer of over 40 books talked to my class once, commented on Salinger and was trying to remember his most famous book and I was the only one who said who said anything (Catcher On The Rye) King is known quite well around but Grisham is unknown and kinda generic to me, the only person in this country I've met who knows about him has been a Mormon missionary and of course some people have heard of Mark Twain and Hemingway, but not so much the youth but at least the name should rang a bell to them. They're around 14, I guess?

In my senior year of high school we saw in Literature the first term Universal Literature (Homer, Shakespeare, Poe, Bradbury, etc.), the second we saw Spanish-speaking Literature (Neruda, Cervantes, Ruben Darío) and the final was focused on National Literature. Perhaps the Israeli Scholar Curriculum focuses more on Israeli writers (I can't name one of 'em) than the ones of universal literature. If there are Chinese kids that don't know what happened on Tinanmen Square everything's possible about the upbringing.

What about if you try asking them about which English-speaking writers they know? Let's see how many mention J.K. Rowling, Stephanie Mayer or perhaps even J.R.R. Tolkien

RobJ

Banned
Reaction score
There's a (fairly) commonly held view that Americans are often surprised that other countries don't share their view of the world. If something is well known in America, they imagine it must be well known elsewhere too. When they talk about "the world" they don't realise they're talking about the world as seen by Americans, and that others might see it quite differently.

That's an awful generalisation, of course, but it has an element of truth to it.

I don't mean it as a criticism, either.

Cheers,
Rob

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
Why do we think that just because something is ALL OVER our own media, that it would be the same way elsewhere?

While the US seems to think we're the most important country in the whole wide world, the fact is, the rest of the whole wide world doesn't quite think so.

Just because one group of people is exposed to something, doesn't mean that a group of high school kids who have their own interests, media, and culture would know a thing about it.

I also had no clue who John Grisham was until I was in college. I knew Stephen King-- I wasn't allowed to read his stuff. (My parents thought he only wrote horror... they've since realized the error of their ways.) And I lived in this country.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would hope that in a class of American students at least a few would have heard of Gabriel García Márquez, or V.S. Naipul, or Salman Rushdie, especially among honors students.

I took it that the OP was making that kind of comment, not that he thought everyone the world over should be aware of everything American.

Reaction score
I'l probably get jumped on for this but Stephen King's hardly in the same class as Salman Rushdie.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'l probably get jumped on for this but Stephen King's hardly in the same class as Salman Rushdie.
A serious question, not an argument. You don't think that Stephen King has as great a name recognition worldwide as Rushdie? I'm not talking about the quality of their writing as literature, just their name recognition.

I would have guessed that both were fairly well-known. If for nothing else, I would have guessed that King was well-known because of the number of movies that have been made from his books, which are shown worldwide. Writers usually get short-changed on movie credits, but at least they're often described as "based on the book by . . . "

Last edited:
Reaction score
On recognition, I reckon King's ahead. But not everyone's heard of him.

Yeah, you're right, though. I reckon fewer people would have heard of (or read!) Rushdie.

TerzaRima

Absinthe O'Malice
Registered
Reaction score
scarletp, I won't do the jumping.

I once was asked to give a presentation on epilepsy to a group of early childhood education teachers in a masters program, and I wanted to make the lecture more interesting by putting epilepsy in an historical and literary context, so I mentioned Dostoevsky's seizures. I got a collective blank stare. None of them recognized the name. It was a little weird.

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
I would hope that in a class of American students at least a few would have heard of Gabriel García Márquez, or V.S. Naipul, or Salman Rushdie, especially among honors students.

Who?

I'm an English teacher and I didn't hear or read any of those authors even in college. 150 credits, most of them in English Lit of various types.

miles

agent at The Knight Agency
Registered
Reaction score
Website
knightagency.net
Everyone here in Asia knows who Stephen King is. At least everyone I've talked to when the subject of movies or novels come up. Comparing him to most other authors is unfair because ninety-percent of his books have been made into movies. I think most people in developed countries watch Hollywood movies at least sometimes. And chances are good they've seen at least one based on a King book. So they more than likely have seen the name if they were paying any attention to the credits.