Really Technical Question (WinXP and Vundo Trojan)

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
I figure I'll ask here since Google hasn't gotten me what I need to know.

The situation is this-- I've taken over the computers at my school. The alt ed program where I work is very much treated like the bastard child-- no one acknowledges us unless they *have* to and getting help on anything is a challenge of epic proportions. So... anything I do to the computers is authorized by my boss, but not by the districts tech department. Anything I screw up... is very very bad. I also don't have access to the Windows Install.

Now, one of our happy computers decided to be a suburb of Troy and picked itself up the Vundo Trojan. Nasty little thing. Surprisingly, of the three other computers who think they're in Troy, this time it was actually detected by the district's Symantec scanner. Symantec couldn't clean it, but Avira got the guts of the Trojan out. I went and got Malware Bytes which cleaned the registry keys. All is good, right? Now Malware Bytes, Avira, even Symantec all agree the computer is clean.

However, on restart, soon as I log in as admin, Symantec finds a piece of the Trojan and cleans it off. Every single time! It appears to find this infection in Program Files/Symatec/ savrt/0000NAV~.tmp

Now, the system seems to run fine except for this little problem on reboot. And honestly, it's almost a non-issue because the students log in as guest not adming and now I have Windows Steady State on all the machines (shhhh.) (Thanks to whoever it was that mentioned that!) But it bothers me because it's not right.

Now, while I'm willing to do registry hacks or download things (so long as I can uninstall them later and cover my tracks), I really don't want to screw up the computer if I can help it. Oh yeah-- no restore point either. No access to Windows Installer. And it's running WinXP Pro.

Okay, short story long-- what's the best course(s) of action to get this stupid detection to stop detecting?

Thanks as always. And don't tell anyone that I've taken over the computers. Someone needed to love and care for them!

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
However, on restart, soon as I log in as admin, Symantec finds a piece of the Trojan and cleans it off. Every single time! It appears to find this infection in Program Files/Symatec/ savrt/0000NAV~.tmp

Now, the system seems to run fine except for this little problem on reboot. And honestly, it's almost a non-issue because the students log in as guest not adming and now I have Windows Steady State on all the machines (shhhh.) (Thanks to whoever it was that mentioned that!) But it bothers me because it's not right.
That looks like some temp file the virus scanner uses. Maybe it's a copy of a virus file or something?

I presume there's some scanning done at boot, and it finds that file?

I'd rename the file to file0000NAV~.tmp.txt to be sure it doesn't 'do' anything. Reboot (perhaps twice), and see if the .txt file is the only one there (since it's a different filename now, any program that's looking for it by the old name, such as an actual virus thing that's not being detected, won't find it). If it recreates the original file0000NAV~.tmp and the scanner complains about it (you would then have TWO files, file0000NAV~.tmp.txt and the newly recreated file0000NAV~.tmp), that means some portion of the 'real' virus is still there.

You might want to run another scanner to see what it says, such as this one online:
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
It takes a while to setup and especially to run, so get it started (could take a few minutes) and let it run overnight.

That SteadyState thing looks interesting.
Thanks as always. And don't tell anyone that I've taken over the computers. Someone needed to love and care for them!
Awwww. ;)

Clair Dickson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Tir-- I ran Symantec's cleaner and it found nothing.

Ben-- I'll try to rename the file, but I don't know if I'll be able to get to it fast enough. I guess I'll have to turn Symantec off and then reboot. See if I can find it.

It does almost look like it's finding it's own file... but that's weird that it would keep detecting it.

Thanks guys-- I'll try these.

Clair Dickson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I'll have to try that. But I've decided I'm not going back into school until classes start up again on Monday. =)

I'll let you know how it goes.

Yea for registry hacks... ;)