Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
Not to wish ill on Teddy, but I foresee a day when we might actually go without a Kennedy in the Senate. How will we survive?

Reaction score
Thank god. 'Cause what a cowardly move she was making.

Her whole life she's been named Kennedy.

She could have run for public office at any time.

But instead of strapping on some guts and getting in the ring and getting out there and working hard and campaigning and WINNING an election like a normal human, she made this move to be anointed and/or appointed.

F'ing lame.

And who knows why she's dropped out.

But I'm glad she's gone.

You know?

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
"you know, i just, you know, i want spend some, you know, time with my, you know, family and, you know, sentatoring and stuff just, you know, seems to, you know, be so hard..."

TerzaRima

Absinthe O'Malice
Registered
Reaction score
"you know, i just, you know, i want spend some, you know, time with my, you know, family and, you know, sentatoring and stuff just, you know, seems to, you know, be so hard..."

She's not as eloquent as her father (or, her father as quoted), and she probably has no business being senator. That said, it's unwise to dismiss her as stupid because she uses a lot of conversational placeholders.

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
This is just a rumor, totally, but a buzz is starting that Bobby's kid Chris, may consider a run for the Illinois Govenor seat. Currently he heads up the Merchandise Mart in Chicago, actually a pretty nice guy from what I've heard, and a smart business man.

Reaction score
P.S. Paterson, pick someone, dick!

Hillary is the Secretary of State and I only have one Senator.

What is wrong with you?

You've had plenty of time.

God, my state is only second to Illinois in crappy elected/appointed/anointed officials.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Carolyn Kennedy made the wrong decision throwing her hat in the ring. She made the right one by getting out of it.

She may have done so simply to spare herself the embarrassment of losing the seat to someone else. The reasons do not matter. What does matter is she realized finally she was in over her head and running for office with no other qualification than her surname.
...and that's the last we'll hear of her political ambitions. :flag:

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
Can we change the title of this thread to "Never mind" ??

http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2009/01/conflicting_reports_on_carolin.html

Or maybe "We're waiting on a photo finish."

no, we can leave it as is.

NEW YORK (CBS) ― From front runner to out of contention. That's the course Caroline Kennedy has taken overnight. The question Thursday morning is why the Princess of Camelot has withdrawn her name from the highly publicized Senate bid.

There was complete confusion Wednesday night over whether or not Kennedy had in fact dropped her bid for Hillary Clinton's U.S. Senate seat.
However, late Wednesday night Kennedy confirmed an earlier New York Post report by releasing a statement saying she is removing herself as a candidate for the now vacant New York Senate seat.

"I informed Gov. Paterson today that for personal reasons I am withdrawing my name from consideration for the United States Senate," Kennedy said in a statement obtained by CBS 2 HD.

This should put an end to confusion surrounding her status. It started with numerous reports of Kennedy's withdrawal that later turned into a lot of 11th-hour back-pedaling.

Norman D Gutter

Engineer Sonneteer
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidatodd.com
I have a different take on the whole Caroline Kennedy thing.

I think Caroline was put up to this--thinking she should be US senator--by Democratic Party insiders, New York perhaps, maybe national. These people don't like Hilary, and really don't want her carrying the Democratic Party flag once Obama's time is over, which they assume will be eight years. So they put forth Caroline now. The Kennedy name is magic. If she gets appointed, she will likely win election to the remainder of the term in 2010 and be elected in her own full term in 2012. Thus, by 2016 she would have six years of senatorial service under her belt, a chance to make a record and a name, and maybe, the insiders think, she could become the establishment candidate for president that would hold off Hillary.

Caroline at first embraced the idea, thinking that was her Kennedy duty for the party, then finally woke up and realized she is not suited for politics, doesn't want it, and so withdrew her name for appointment consideration. And I like her the better for it.

And that's my view from fly-over country today.

NDG

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
my surmise: Caroline found out through the grapevine that she wasn't going to be annointed, so to save face she bowed out.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
I'm just annoyed that it is taking so long to fill that seat.

FILL IT ALREADY!
I, on the other hand, see this as a distinct plus. If only we could find a way to keep the other 99 seats unoccupied, we'd face a lot less troubles. :D

Judge Gideon J. Tucker said:
No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

SHBueche

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ShelleyBueche.com
my surmise: Caroline found out through the grapevine that she wasn't going to be annointed, so to save face she bowed out.
user_offline.gif

I think Ken is right, I just read that Caroline found out she wasn't going to be chosen, and pulled her name out of consideration. Yes, NYT, did report that Caroline was going to be "the one." Hey anyone ...Chelsea Clinton?

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm just annoyed that it is taking so long to fill that seat.

FILL IT ALREADY!

Hilary had to be confirmed first. That didn't happen until yesterday. Until then, the seat was not vacant.

Chelsea's not old enough yet. You have to be 30.