Just say No to Narnia

Higgins

Banned
Reaction score
Popplewell has given up on Narnia and has moved on to indoor grass scenes. Now I wonder about good and evil all over again.

article-1022168-015BE4C900000578-472_634x461.jpg

Higgins

Banned
Reaction score
Popplewell has given up on Narnia and has moved on to indoor grass scenes. Now I wonder about good and evil all over again.

article-1022168-015BE4C900000578-472_634x461.jpg

And Post modern readings of St. Paul:

http://philosophyandscripture.org/Issue2-2/Sanders/Sanders.html

Where we read:

Then there’s Philo of Alexandria, who asks why Judaism is better than paganism. And of course in part it’s because it’s revealed by the only true God. He’s got a theological view, but his most telling arguments are humanistic. Judaism produces better human beings. “We are sincere,” he argues; “in our purification rituals we are really purifying ourselves, whereas in pagan purification rituals they’re not really purifying themselves.” It’s entirely based around things like sincerity, avoiding hypocrisy, the love of humanity instead of the hatred of humanity, etc. The entire evaluative process is humanistic; it is the notion that human values are those that really count. Philo used that to evaluate his own religion, and found it to be excellent! I think that is very interesting, and I like it. I believe in it. So, I will now confess to you what I think, which is that some people use the Bible out of context and the results are wonderful, and some people use it out of context and the results are awful. My criterion is humanism; the question is whether or not interpretations benefit people.

JPS: It’s interesting that you bring up that question in connection with the ancient world, because I think we in our contemporary world tend to think that this is the age of humanism...

EPS: Like we discovered it!

Last edited:

Higgins

Banned
Reaction score
Could anyone tell what does this has to do with philosophy, please?

I was going to point out some things about Narnia in the Good and Evil thread and how Susan P (AKA Popplewell) has to come in and hit some evil creatures with arrows (oh the humanity Irony etc.).

Alas...the arrow shooting pictures could not be brought in so the point seemed to be escaping me very quickly...but then: think about it, just as Susan P leaves Narnia, so does Popplewell and she ends up in a image of paradise (the wild enclosed: grass inside).

Very hard to work out the ironic flip-flop of any goods and evils there.

Ruv Draba

Banned
Reaction score
You needn't. Disney replaced Lewis four decades ago as the authoritative source of moral definitions.

In case you haven't been keeping up, the New Rules are simple:
  • Animals will always tell who is Evil -- especially young or vegetarian animals like rabbits and fauns. Bluebirds and butterflies are also especially astute, as are brightly-coloured fish. Mature predators however, are unreliable guides.
  • Anything done with big eyes is never Evil, though your every deed be motivated by envy, greed, gluttony, wrath, sloth or hubris. Owls and squid from the Marianas Trench are beatifiable.
  • Lust however, is always Evil. Beware the bonobo chimp!
  • Anyone sitting on the grass in the open is Good. Evil people slink and never sit on the grass -- unless they're waiting to tempt a Good person. Watch the bluebirds and butterflies if you're in doubt. Or if the subject is nowhere near a meadow, dunk him in a tank of tropical fish.
  • The very beautiful and the very ugly are generally Good. The unkempt however, are either Evil or Stupid. Again, if his academic transcript is unavailable and it's just a small matter like a bow-tie askew, consign him to the Fish-tank of Truth.

Last edited:

Higgins

Banned
Reaction score
You needn't. Disney replaced Lewis four decades ago as the authoritative source of moral definitions.

In case you haven't been keeping up, the New Rules are simple:
  • Animals will always tell who is Evil -- especially young or vegetarian animals like rabbits and fauns. Bluebirds and butterflies are also especially astute, as are brightly-coloured fish. Mature predators however, are unreliable guides.
  • Anything done with big eyes is never Evil, though your every deed be motivated by envy, greed, gluttony, wrath, sloth or hubris. Owls and squid from the Marianas Trench are beatifiable.
  • Lust however, is always Evil. Beware the bonobo chimp!
  • Anyone sitting on the grass in the open is Good. Evil people slink and never sit on the grass -- unless they're waiting to tempt a Good person. Watch the bluebirds and butterflies if you're in doubt. Or if the subject is nowhere near a meadow, dunk him in a tank of tropical fish.
  • The very beautiful and the very ugly are generally Good. The unkempt however, are either Evil or Stupid. Again, if his academic transcript is unavailable and it's just a small matter like a bow-tie askew, consign him to the Fish-tank of Truth.

I hope this doesn't hold for goodnevilists over the age of 8...though my topoi of anything hairy must be reasonably good and anything that looks nice in a sweater might be very good...seem to have confused several of my beta readers. I've reverted to some more Disney-esque topoi and so far the results are good.

Ruv Draba

Banned
Reaction score
I hope this doesn't hold for goodnevilists over the age of 8
But the beauty of any Hollywood GnE system is that you never really have to age past 8. George Lucas for instance, is still entitled to free bus travel to and from school.
my topoi of anything hairy must be reasonably good and anything that looks nice in a sweater might be very good...seem to have confused several of my beta readers
If your beta-readers read more widely, they'd know that it's impossible to perpetrate any evil act while dressed in a mohair sweater. Conversely though, it's impossible to do anything good while attired in a strait-jacket and hockey-mask. Wash dishes and they'll shatter. Help an old lady across the road and she'll run under a truck. Hannibal Lecter was just trying to return a pen, and Jason was just trying to read the gas-meter and look what happened there. If only they'd put Hannibal in an angora cable-knit before they strapped him to the removalist's dolly... And whatever cutlery you gave him, I still say that Jason wouldn't have hurt a fly dressed in an ermine stole...

Last edited:

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
I honest to god have no idea what this thread is about.

But that's a pretty picture.

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
I was reading the thread and trying to figure out what the hell you were talking about, but then I decided to just scroll back up and look at the picture some more.

Higgins

Banned
Reaction score
But the beauty of any Hollywood GnE system is that you never really have to age past 8. George Lucas for instance, is still entitled to free bus travel to and from school.
If your beta-readers read more widely, they'd know that it's impossible to perpetrate any evil act while dressed in a mohair sweater. Conversely though, it's impossible to do anything good while attired in a strait-jacket and hockey-mask. Wash dishes and they'll shatter. Help an old lady across the road and she'll run under a truck. Hannibal Lecter was just trying to return a pen, and Jason was just trying to read the gas-meter and look what happened there. If only they'd put Hannibal in an angora cable-knit before they strapped him to the removalist's dolly... And whatever cutlery you gave him, I still say that Jason wouldn't have hurt a fly dressed in an ermine stole...

johnnydeppangora.jpg

Or Angora. And Tim Burton worked as an "animator" for Disney. Oh and here is Johnny Depp as Ed Wood in a Tim Burton movie

http://www.timburtoncollective.com/articles/ew9.html

Ruv Draba

Banned
Reaction score
Mrs Draba always said she wanted to give Johnny Depp a shag. I now understand that she meant a furry cardigan, for the good of his soul.