Underline v. Italics (Manuscript formatting ?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

abctriplets

Registered
Reaction score
Website
abctriplets.blogspot.com
Ok, not sure if this is the right place for clarification. I read through the FAQ on manuscript formatting, and it said that for italicized text, that you should underline it instead.

My question - does this hold true for italicized names? My novel has a bunch of ship names italicized, and before I go back and underline them all instead, I wanted to double-check. It looks funny :)

Thanks

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Underlining italicised text goes back to typewriter days and is no longer appropriate for manuscripts produced on a word processor. I, and my agent, submitted my manuscript without swapping the italicised text for underline

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Ok, not sure if this is the right place for clarification. I read through the FAQ on manuscript formatting, and it said that for italicized text, that you should underline it instead.

My question - does this hold true for italicized names? My novel has a bunch of ship names italicized, and before I go back and underline them all instead, I wanted to double-check. It looks funny :)

Thanks

Yep. If you want it to be italicized in print, underline it in the MS. Unless specifically directed otherwise in the pub's submission guidelines.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Underlining italicised text goes back to typewriter days and is no longer appropriate for manuscripts produced on a word processor. I, and my agent, submitted my manuscript without swapping the italicised text for underline

Yep. If you want it to be italicized in print, underline it in the MS. Unless specifically directed otherwise in the pub's submission guidelines.

As you can see, waylander, we're all in agreement here. :roll:

JeanneTGC

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
Per my agent, and a variety of editors I've talked to --

If you're using Courier, yes, underline. If you're using Times New Roman, just italicize.

They can see the italics in Times New Roman and can't see them very well in Courier.

But they all agree that Waylander's right -- it's from the olden days and not as vital now.

I use Times New Roman and no one's complained about seeing italics instead of underlines.

qwerty

exiled Brit
Registered
Reaction score
It maybe depends where you submit. If to UK, simply use italics where required but don't underline them.(the prefered font is TNR)

This is how my ms is submitted to my UK agent, and how he subs it to publishers.

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
I used TNR for my novel and underlined everything that was supposed to be italicized, to play it safe. If a future agent says to change it, I'll change it.

abctriplets

Registered
Reaction score
Website
abctriplets.blogspot.com
Ah, ok, so it seems there is no general consensus?
And I've opened up an old can of worms? I guess arguments over font type and italicizing must be common here :)

I'm still trying to decide then whether to use Courier/Underline or Times New Roman/Italics. Though it looks odd, maybe I'd better fall in with the "play it safe" crowd and use the former.

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
I used TNR for my novel and underlined everything that was supposed to be italicized, to play it safe. If a future agent says to change it, I'll change it.

I did the same. *shrug*

Aaron Scott

Registered
Reaction score
Can I resurrect this thread, seven years later?

Just preparing my MS for submission to a major publisher, and they don't seem to have specific guidelines. My gut was to set everything in Courier New, and convert italics to underline. But at least one other writer I know was horrified at this.

So, Courier and underline, or Times New Roman and italics? What's the state of fonts and formatting in 2016?

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I thought underlining was back in the day before the digital revolution.

You should ask the publisher. If they've asked you for the full manuscript, why not ask?

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You should ask the publisher. If they've asked you for the full manuscript, why not ask?

Yep - this. Whether it's an agent or publisher, remember that publishing is a business relationship. It's best to start as you mean to go on.

Inspie

Tea and cats and tea and cats...
Registered
Reaction score
From what I've seen, Times New Roman and Italics. At least, this was the standard for the publisher I worked for. If you're unsure, definitely check with the publisher or agent before submitting (but my gut leans toward italics being fine).

Status
Not open for further replies.