Legal question relating to UK

qwerty

exiled Brit
Registered
Reaction score
I believe there is a limited time within which someone can sue for defamation of character. I thought it was two years from when a defamatory statement was publicly made about someone, but I could be wrong.

Reaction score
I assume you're talking about England?

Actually libel and slander apply there; in Scotland defamation of character is the umbrella term but I'm not sure about time limits.

As for Wales or N. Ireland, not sure about those.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
I found this on one of my hubby's clients websites ( they are solicitors)

Claims for defamation can only be made in the High Court. Claims can be made for compensation or for an order to stop the perpetrator from repeating the allegations. There are strict time limits for starting court action. There is a time limit of twelve months for taking legal action for libel, slander or malicious falsehood. This time limit runs from the date the defamatory statement was made. The courts may have some discretion to extend this in specific circumstances, so individual advice should always be sought.

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
In the UK law, it deliberately says 'no such action shall be brought after the expiration of one year from the date on which the cause of action accrued.' Note that date of the 'cause of action' isn't necessarily the date where the nasty words were written! For example, if I publish a book with nasty statements in them, the clock can start when the book is publically available ... not necessarily the 'publication date' where it had extremely limited circulation, or the time the statement originally uttered or written.

There is also a massive exception if 'one of the reasons for the delay was that all or any of the facts relevant to the cause of action did not become known to the plaintiff until after the end of the period' ... so you can't hope they didn't know about the lies until it is too late.

In the US, the clock has also restarted when books crossed state lines, etc, as well.

Good luck !

Mac

Last edited:

Smiling Ted

Ah-HA!
Registered
Reaction score
Recently, there's been a lot of attention paid to "libel tourism" in the UK - the habit of some wealthy plaintiffs (or plaintiffs with wealthy backers) of suing journalists and academics for libel in the UK because they feel the environment is favorable...even if the UK connection is tenuous.

qwerty

exiled Brit
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. That's what I needed to know. Will have to adjust the time span from two years to one.