Beat My Crappy Week

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Can you top this?

1. Health insurance company raised their rates. I just joined this month. Although I was told I had locked in last year's rates, this turns out to be false. An extra $82 per month now.

2. My car got hit by a bus. A school bus. Luckily, said bus only clipped off my driver's side mirror and made a few little scratches on the door, and all parties are A-OK. Bus driver was a very nice man, too, so if not for item #3, it would have been an interesting writerly encounter.

3. So now I have no driver's mirror, which makes the car undriveable. My dad duct taped it on as well as possible, but that's only enough to chance getting it to a repair shop. I've never actually used my car insurance before, and thus didn't realize that (a) I have a $1000 deductible, (b) they will cover 80% of a rental car, but that still means I need to pay 20%, and (c) they will not send an adjuster out for 8 days. I decide to just get the darn thing repaired anyway, when I discover that...

4. My car battery is stone cold dead and needs to be replaced.

5. The other day, I get a note on the door from the post office saying that there's an item with postage due that I need to pick up. It's from Harcourt. I think excitedly, "What could it be?" I don't recall sending a book proposal to Harcourt, so it's not a returned proposal. Maybe it's a book for review. Maybe it's a "We've heard how terrific you are and want to hire you, but we don't know your new phone number, so here's a contract" letter. I call the post office and find out they're closed already, but they tell me I can leave the money in an envelope in my box. $2.50 or so. Today, I get... their catalogue. I've just spent money so they can pitch me their books.

6. I buy the new Clinical Therapy Vaseline intensive rescue cream in "unscented," because I hate wearing scents. Turns out the darn thing is scented. It's scented like butt. Perspiring butt.

7. I lost my winter hat, which may be the only item of clothing I bought for myself this winter. It was cool, too.

8. My college roommate and his wonderful wife, who I haven't seen in a year, had to cancel their visit to see me because it snowstormed that day.

9. I have run out of cookies.

Okay, show me your cards.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hold onto that health insurance. And write a letter of complaint.

Sorry about your crappy week. Hang in there.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
1. Health insurance company raised their rates. I just joined this month. Although I was told I had locked in last year's rates, this turns out to be false. An extra $82 per month now.

Fight back. I'd complain to the top person. The salesperson promised you something, and what they promised you was false. They should follow through on what they offered.

3. So now I have no driver's mirror, which makes the car undriveable. My dad duct taped it on as well as possible, but that's only enough to chance getting it to a repair shop. I've never actually used my car insurance before, and thus didn't realize that (a) I have a $1000 deductible, (b) they will cover 80% of a rental car, but that still means I need to pay 20%, and (c) they will not send an adjuster out for 8 days. I decide to just get the darn thing repaired anyway, when I discover that...

You might be better off NOT claiming the repairs on your insurance, as even though it wasn't your fault, they'll probably raise your rates. For such a small claim, it's probably not worth it.

Speaking of which, how about going through the bus driver's insurance, if it happens to be his fault?

5. The other day, I get a note on the door from the post office saying that there's an item with postage due that I need to pick up. It's from Harcourt. I think excitedly, "What could it be?" I don't recall sending a book proposal to Harcourt, so it's not a returned proposal. Maybe it's a book for review. Maybe it's a "We've heard how terrific you are and want to hire you, but we don't know your new phone number, so here's a contract" letter. I call the post office and find out they're closed already, but they tell me I can leave the money in an envelope in my box. $2.50 or so. Today, I get... their catalogue. I've just spent money so they can pitch me their books.

Send it back, with a note requesting your money back, and further requesting that you receive no sales material unless it arrives with postage fully paid. That's just obscene!

6. I buy the new Clinical Therapy Vaseline intensive rescue cream in "unscented," because I hate wearing scents. Turns out the darn thing is scented. It's scented like butt. Perspiring butt.

Take it back. Product is not as advertised...

Okay, now all the other stuff you just listed is relatively minor, but this last one just sucks eggs. It's definitely time for a trip to the corner store. :tongue

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Can you top this?

Demand that they honor the hook that caused you to join them. They are couriers of Satan if they do not.

2. My car got hit by a bus. A school bus. Luckily, said bus only clipped off my driver's side mirror and made a few little scratches on the door, and all parties are A-OK. Bus driver was a very nice man, too, so if not for item
#3, it would have been an interesting writerly encounter.

4. My car battery is stone cold dead and needs to be replaced.

2-4 feel very connected. You have to change your perspective here and pool them all together to form a new #2. Less of a list will feel like less of a burden. (PS...you have a great daddy who knows the wonders of duct tape!)

(I've never paid for junk mail before. I feel oddly jealous of this feat! You lucky dog!)

I've never been close enough to a perspiring butt...or any butt for that matter...to notice what it smells like. I shall pick me up some of that stuff to see what this smells like. (OR NOT...PERHAPS NOT)

7. I lost my winter hat, which may be the only item of clothing I bought for myself this winter. It was cool, too.

I hate to lose a hat. Wait...no. My hat used to hate. That's it.

8. My college roommate and his wonderful wife, who I haven't seen in a year, had to cancel their visit to see me because it snowstormed that day.

I shoveled over a foot of snow on Sunday...6 car driveway and a walkway. Talk to me when you can't open the front door because of a snowstorm.

Buy more cookies.

When I see a happy man I tell him the one thing that can wipe that sh*t eating "I'm so happy I could smile" smile from his happy little face.

When I see a sad man who is thinking of jumping I tell him that one thing that can light up his life with joy and make him take the elevator down instead.

I say the same thing to both of these men...

THIS TOO SHALL PASS.

It's a good day, Jenna. Breathe.

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
Now I understand why I had such a good week.

Oh.

Sorry...I mean...I...um...I'll get back to ya.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The lotion I use claims to be unscented, but it smells like those slats of pink "bubble gum" you used to get with Wacky Packages stickers. Otherwise, my week has just been <garbled in transmission>ing peachy, what, with feeling like I'm sliding head first into a Major Depression, my teeth, jaw, and head sore because I think I'm grinding my teeth (even as we speak!), two queries haven't discovered my genius and remain unanswered, the UPS guy was a <garbled in transmission>ing jerk and just dropped the box in the front of the door before ringing the bell and leaving, and I hafta go potty.

Beach Bunny

The Provocative One
Registered
Reaction score
Can you top this?
:ROFL:

Nope. Nothing I have faced in the past few months can beat that. That is a disaster of epic proportions.

However, I have been stealing cookies from Jed for just such an emergency. Here you go: even though RT has shmooed me twice in the past month or so.
bl_choc_pb_chip.jpg

Now I understand why I had such a good week.

Oh.

Sorry...I mean...I...um...I'll get back to ya.

Gee, Jenna, shouldn't Mr. Sensitivity be Hello Kittied or something? :)

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I spent 4 hours in subzero weather watching my mom's horse die. Finally the vet came out and put him down. It was traumatic.

Not as traumatic as the smell of perspiring butt on your hands...but definitely traumatic.

Oh and the home refinance that was supposed to cost $1300, cost me $2300 instead.

But still not as traumatic as your hands that smell like perspiring butt.

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
that's awesome, kitty.

Jenna, definitely don't claim the mirror on your insurance and go after the bus company instead. it's their fault and they should fix it.

My brakes have failed and the only way i can pay for them is to sell my tools, but i if i sell my tools i can't work, but if i don't have my car i can't work.

My sister told me i haven't worked in five months, what am i freaking out about? she sure puts things into perspective.

This too shall pass. (all creds to KTC)

Queenofpov

Registered
Reaction score
Dont worry your week has to get better. I cant solve all your problems ....but i can solve your cookie one.
  • 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups chocolate sandwich cookie crumbs aka Oreos
  1. Sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. In a medium bowl, cream the white sugar, brown sugar, and the butter together until smooth. Stir in the eggs and vanilla. Add the flour mixture, and stir until just combined. Stir the crushed cookies into the dough. Cover, and chill the dough for 1/2 hour.
  2. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets.
  3. Drop dough by rounded spoonfuls onto prepared cookie sheets. Bake for 10 to 11 minutes in the preheated oven. Remove to cool on wire racks.
After these you will feel better promise. :Hug2:

Last edited:

Tigercub

Registered
Reaction score
No health insurance
No job
No car
If I can't work a miracle something like immediately, no place to live
Out of chocolate.

At the risk of sounding smarmy and having missiles shot at me, give thanks that you have a job, healthcare, car, and friends willing to give you cookies. Some as aren't so lucky....

Greenwolf103

I'm a grrrl dog, yo
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dmcwriter.tripod.com
Dont worry your week has to get better. I cant solve all your problems ....but i can solve your cookie one.
  • 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups chocolate sandwich cookie crumbs aka Oreos
  1. Sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. In a medium bowl, cream the white sugar, brown sugar, and the butter together until smooth. Stir in the eggs and vanilla. Add the flour mixture, and stir until just combined. Stir the crushed cookies into the dough. Cover, and chill the dough for 1/2 hour.
  2. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets.
  3. Drop dough by rounded spoonfuls onto prepared cookie sheets. Bake for 10 to 11 minutes in the preheated oven. Remove to cool on wire racks.
After these you will feel better promise. :Hug2:

What, no rum??

And, Jenna, the week has just begun! Egads, how could ALL of that happen?? I'm sorry you got hit with a big frekking curve ball like that. Swing away, dear. And get some more cookies. :Hug2:

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
BB, you are wise. One day, though, I will amuse myself by changing everyone's avatars to BenPanced's.

Dawn, okay, technically not a calendar week. But all those things happened in the last 7 days. I'm still enjoying the entertainment value of telling people on the phone that I got hit by a bus. It seems no one can retain a normal vocal pitch after you say that. Their voices always get real high and squeaky as they say, "You WHAT??"

OH-- but the week has not been all bad. Adam Lambert did appear on American Idol. Very pretty, and the boy can sing.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Queenofpov, if I had all those things... well, I'd have cookies. ;)

Someone please shoot a missle at Tigercub for attempting to subvert my pity party.

;)

Okay, seriously, Cubster, my heart is with you. I'm pretty dangerously close to that same edge, and the only reason I'm where I am right now is that I'm leaning on family. Have you checked out www.modestneeds.org?

Greenwolf103

I'm a grrrl dog, yo
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dmcwriter.tripod.com
Dawn, okay, technically not a calendar week. But all those things happened in the last 7 days. I'm still enjoying the entertainment value of telling people on the phone that I got hit by a bus. It seems no one can retain a normal vocal pitch after you say that. Their voices always get real high and squeaky as they say, "You WHAT??"

:roll: Ohh. You gotta love that.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
give a woman a cookie and she shall eat a cookie. teach a woman how to bake a cookie and she shall have a lot of cookie.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
...never read threads like this to avoid feeling down. (Enough to be depressed about in my own life.) Just wanted to extend a *hug* to you, though, for whatever is ailing you, Jenna. Yer a nice peep and deserve good things :)