Help me avoid a lawsuit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WishesSheWasBritish

Registered
Reaction score
Basically, I'm trying to figure out if this line's OK.

"We gotta get some bodyguards, man."

"But he likes me."

"Think of the guy who killed John Lennon! Freak was a fanatic. You got your own Mark David Chapman here."

I really don't want to drop it, but I'd rather not get into trouble. Any help is appreciated.

~God Bless.

smcc360

I've Got An MFA In LEO
Registered
Reaction score
Trouble from whom? Chapman?

If you fear he'll bring a libel suit against you for referring to him as the guy who killed John Lennon, he'd be hampered by the fact that he is the guy who shot John Lennon.

If your concern stems from your character's stated opinion that Chapman is a 'freak', Chapman would have to show damage to his reputation caused by your work in order to prevail.

And doing damage to Mark David Chapman's reputation today would be like trying to crash the same airplane twice. How much worse can it get?

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
You're allowed to mention the names of other human beings in your fiction, especially those who are public figures.

What you're not allowed to do is make your neighbor John Jones a character in your book.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
Chapman works in the prison library. So the worst that could happen, assuming your book becomes popular enough, is that he would come across it in a box of donated material, read it, take offence at your categorization, and, once he got parole, kill you. On a positive note, your death at the hands of the killer of John Lennon would be good for sales.

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
If you fear he'll bring a libel suit against you for referring to him as the guy who killed John Lennon, he'd be hampered by the fact that he is the guy who shot John Lennon.

Pepsi + keyboard = bad combination

C A Winters

Never say "I can't."
Registered
Reaction score
Chapman works in the prison library. So the worst that could happen, assuming your book becomes popular enough, is that he would come across it in a box of donated material, read it, take offence at your categorization, and, once he got parole, kill you. On a positive note, your death at the hands of the killer of John Lennon would be good for sales.

:roll:Thanks so much for brightening my day!

Reaction score

You are now added to my list of favourite people.

WishesSheWasBritish

Registered
Reaction score

Awesome. :D *new life goal*

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

That is officially the best AW quote of the year. I don't care if it is January!

Zipotes

Registered
Reaction score

Good one!

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
:roll:

OP: I've seen plenty of public figures in fictions books so I assume its alright.

BAY

Registered
Reaction score
I think the rule is you can mention them, but you can't put words in his mouth, unless you can document the source. I'm thinking you're clear but I'm not lawyer.

Status
Not open for further replies.