PDA

View Full Version : Two Novels, Zero Agents, and Some Questions

Cal_Noble
01-20-2009, 09:52 PM
I've scoured the pages here and cannot find an answer. This looks like the best place to ask.

I recently completed my second novel while submitting the first. Although I have had a couple of partials and a full go out, I haven't landed an agent. I am continuing to query for that book, but I'm also ready to query for #2.

Should I continue to submit #1 to agents lower on my list and submit #2 to the agents at the top of my list (who rejected #1)? Or should I stop sending queries for #1, count it a loss, and submit only #2?

ORION
01-20-2009, 10:49 PM
My third novel was the one that got me my agent. I queried my first novel - got a few requests for fulls but no agent- then finished my second and queried only a couple of agents and got requests for partials - all this time I kept writing and when I finished my third novel I could tell right away the difference- and got an agent right away -

Set your first one aside to revise or re-examine later - start your third and query your second...JMHO

Teriann
01-20-2009, 10:59 PM
I agree with Orion. Start querying your second book and working on your third. I think it's common to query more than one project at a time.

Cal_Noble
01-20-2009, 11:35 PM
My third novel was the one that got me my agent. I queried my first novel - got a few requests for fulls but no agent- then finished my second and queried only a couple of agents and got requests for partials - all this time I kept writing and when I finished my third novel I could tell right away the difference- and got an agent right away -

Set your first one aside to revise or re-examine later - start your third and query your second...JMHO

Thanks. I'll try that. My concern was getting back a response on both from different people--since I just sent off a few queries.

Then again...I should be so danged lucky!

Cal_Noble
01-20-2009, 11:36 PM
I agree with Orion. Start querying your second book and working on your third. I think it's common to query more than one project at a time.

Thanks for the input

Laura Lond
01-21-2009, 01:43 AM
I will be in the same position soon - two novels, no agent. I think I will send queries for the latest book, and I might mention that I have another novel ready to go. Agents like to hear that you have more than one book in you.