Is there a market for such a thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kida Adelyne

Me got zero cookies!
Registered
Reaction score
Hullo,
I'm in the process of writing a YA Fantasy novella. When it's finished it should be 12-15k. I'm just wondering if there's market for works of this length, and what they are (if any)

Thanks in advance,

Ally

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
12-15K seems a little short for YA. I'd expect that sort of length for the 9+ sort of age group. YA is more often 25K and up.

NatashaFX

word count for YA

I agree with Torgo. It's better to increase the word count to 45K and target Smooch if it falls within their guidelines. YA is hot hot hot right now. So, this is a good time to break in. Smooch like stories with a paranormal element but they may also be open to a fantasy. Check out their website for submission guidelines. I think it's www.smoochya.com

Good luck,

Natasha
www.NatashaFX.com

cwgranny

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.janfields.com
Other than selling it to a magazine as a serial (which I know some authors have done with novellas), your pretty stuck. It's long for a magazine story and short (by rather a lot) for a fantasy YA -- it's even short for a fantasy middle grade. Vivian Vande Velde writes at the very short end of fantasy YA and even her shortest thing is over 20,000 -- even that's very short for YA and would probably be a tough sale for an unknown.

gran

Kida Adelyne

Me got zero cookies!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies!

I know it's not a full length YA novel. It just takes that size to tell the story. Increasing (or decreasing) the size wouldn't really work for it. It's definatly not a middle grader- it's aimed at older teens (16+) Oh well, I wasn't really expecting there to be a place for that size.
Thanks again,

Ally

Status
Not open for further replies.